Fyi....cancelling a disney vacation does not cancel dining reservations!!!

live4him

Earning My Ears
After hearing several pose the question and/or assumption, I decided to find out exactly what the policy was. I called dining reservations and asked; she put me on hold while she consulted a dining supervisor...After a lengthy wait, she told me that Disney does not automatically cancel dining reservations when a vacation has been cancelled. If the party does not cancel their ressies, then they will remain!!!! I definitely do not agree with this!!! Families could actually miss out ongreat dining experiences, due to a faulty system...however, my opinion is probably not important to them, but this is a definite flaw in the system....This could actually be a way to get second-chance ressies when someone cancels at the last minute, if ressies were cancelled automatically....So, if you're counting on someone's cancellation to help you get a ressie, then you are out of luck unless the ones cancelling are courteous!!!!:banana::cool1:

It never has. People cancel onsite reservations and stay offsite - just because people cancel a resort reservation doesn't mean they're canceling their vacation. We've done that once, and if WDW had canceled our ADRs I would have been super upset!

The only problem I see with Disney cancelling the ADRs automatically, is what if the consumer is only cancelling their onsite reservation and staying onsite and still wants their ADRs. I think what they should do is when you call to cancel, the CM should ask about your ADRs and if you want to keep or cancel, if you want to cancel the CM should be able to take care of it for you.

they never have had the dining reservations linked to the hotel info. They can find both through the same info, but that's all. They will use your hotel confirm to verify that you are eligible to book the 90+10 dining reservations.

I can tell you that when I cancelled son's Disney hotel, they asked if I needed to cancel dinner reservations. I said no, he still will be there, just staying with friends and the want to do the dining. CM said no problem, dining reservations will not cancel unless we specifically request cancelling them.

While there may be a few thoughtless people who do not cancel, I suspect most do cancel them at same time as cancelling the hotel -especially when they actually remind you at the time.

I thnk they do it the right way. As someone else mentioned just because you cancel a hotel reservation doesn't mean you aren't going.

Can you imagine if they cancelled your ADRs if you cancel your trip! Yikes, folks would not want to upgrade to a more expensive resort in fear of losing their ADRs and Disney would not want to discourage anyone from paying more money for their resort. I like the way it is and when I need to cancel an ADR, I do and believe most people do.

Automatically cancelling restaurant reservations upon the cancellation of a room reservation is not workable. Not everyone who cancels a Disney resort reservation is doing so because they aren't going to make the trip. If I have one to back up a DVC waitlist, I would not want my restaurant reservations automatically canceled if the waitlist comes through and I have to cancel the Disney resort reservation.

This would also apply to anyone who decides to upgrade or downgrade, who finds a better deal at another resort, who decides to move offsite, who decides to move to the Swan or Dolphin, who decides to stay with friends or relatives on another reservation, etc.

Not only that, but having restaurant reservations has nothing to do with whether or not you are staying onsite. Offsite guests can have reservations, as can locals. The only advantage to being onsite as far as restaurant reservations go, is the 90 + 10 booking.

I agree that Disney shouldn't cancel ADR's with a resort reservation. That said, I think they should mention to anyone canceling a resort ressie within a 90 day window that their ADR's are separate and require a separate phone call to cancel.

I guess I am confused. Why would anyone assume that just because you cancel your resort that WDW would automatically cancel your ADRs. People are always changing their resorts, deciding to stay offsite, deciding to rent DVC points, or maybe deciding to move to the Swan/Dolphin. Just because the resort changes doesn't mean the trip is going to be canceled.

I'm definitely a resort hopper. My upcoming trip in May, I changed the resort three times, before settling on POFQ. My trip in Sept I currently have booked at a Value, but will probably be switching to a Moderate. My Dec trip I couldn't decide between POFQ, CSR, or the Swan. Because I had a 40% off PIN code that had to be booked by March 31st, I went ahead and booked at CSR, but may decide to use the nursing discount for the Swan or may still decide to go with POFQ.:confused3 I would be very upset if Disney canceled my ADRs every time I decide to switch resorts.:mad: I always link my ADRs to my cell phone number, not my resort confirmation.

We originally planned our May vacation for Pop, then got a great contract at work and upgraded to CB / Yacht split stay. The kids really wanted Beach & Boardwalk. Wife wanted Poly, so I rearranged a third time with Poly / Beach / Boardwalk.

If they had cancelled my dining ressies automatically, can you imagine the chaos that would have insued? They did ask if I would like to be transferred to dining to cancel, for which I said no! I like the plan they way they currently have it. 90 + 10 is a good way to go to prove you have a hotel stay.

Whenever you change your reservation with disney, they cancel your exsisting reservation, and then, book a new one. I booked my ADRs 180 days out, and have changed my reservation twice since. We have had 3 different reservation numbers. The nice CM told me that I don't need to worry about changing my ADRs, because they are a seperate thing. That sure would suck to upgrade, or downgrade your resort, and automatically lose your ADRs. Being said, I think it would be nice if someone did call to cancel their trip if the CM asked them if they would like to cancel any other reservations as well (like dining or BBB). My good friend works for Disney, and she use to work for central reservations. She told me that Disney overbooks their TS places because people do change their mind, cancel their trips, or forget about that certain ADR. She also told me just because someone cancels their ADR last minute, doesn't automatically mean they open that ADR up to someone else. Last year we had a breakfast adr at 8:30 at Cape May. Well someone forgot to set our alarm clock, and we woke up at 9:30!!!! We called the dining hotline right away, and told them. Later in our trip we had ADRs around 7:30 for Le Cellier. We tried to check in 20 minutes before hand, and the host said they were behind, and to check in at 7:30. 7:30 rolls around, we get a busser, and the host tells dh that they are so over booked that they can even give us an accurate quote time. He even said, there may be some people who wont make it in before park closing!) After 30 minutes, and listening to the people around us scream at the host that they have been waiting for 2 hours, we gave the pager back to the host, went back to our resort, and went offsite for dinner. It was pouring down rain, I was starving, and my 2 year old was starving.

Yes, this thread is a year old.

Whenever you change your reservation with disney, they cancel your exsisting reservation, and then, book a new one.

They will do this if you are changing reservation types. If you are just adding a code to a package, or adding a day to a package, then they can just change the existing reservation. But if you are changing from a room only reservation to a package then yes, you'll have to cancel and rebook.

I think it would be nice if someone did call to cancel their trip if the CM asked them if they would like to cancel any other reservations as well (like dining or BBB).

Unless you're DVC, the room reservationist cannot cancel these for you. The systems are different. CRO phone agents don't have access to your dining reservations. The room agent would have to inform the cancelling guest that they should call WDW-DINE and cancel their restaurant reservations. It's up to the guest to actually do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter