Fw animals and crock pot ?

Tented1

Mouseketeer
:confused3 Okay, I'm preping for my trip (as most of you know) and I'm a tenter. So, I'm planning my slow cooker crock pot meals, the thing is, do I need to be worried about animals?

I'll be leaving the crock pot, which has a glass lid, for 6 - 8 hours with food stuffs slowly cooking :stir: while everyone is away from our tent site.

Do I need to be concerned about animals attempting to eat MY food while I'm off theme parking it up? I sure don't want to return worn out and find no food and a busted crock pot. I am hoping to bring two tents (if space allows, I haven't done the run through pack yet), should I put the crock pot in the tent?

First, to create the perfect meal, you have to find the right size animal to fit in your crock pot. There are many running around the Fort. :)

Second, I would fasten the lid to the handles with some twine or wire.

Third, You most likely need to worry about two legged animals sampling your offering. :stir:

Fourth, It might help to put the crock pot in the tent, or it could intice animal destruction of the tent. My bet is that it would help preserve the food. Lots of campers just set them on a table.

Animals during the day should not be as much of a problem as they would be overnight.

Now, let's see how many tenters chime is and let me know how off base I am. :badpc:

I guess it depends on how hungry the animals are! :joker: We have been camping at some of our local state parks and the squirrels were crazy!!

My crockpot has latches on the lid to keep it closed, but then again, I wouldn't leave it just out in the open, maybe in the screenhouse or something...or maybe you can try putting a milk crate or something over it with a brick weighing it down. Personally I would be afraid to leave it in the tent, due to electrical issues. I would hate for it to short out and take all my possessions with it. :scared: Then again...you may not have any issues at all. pixiedust:

First, to create the perfect meal, you have to find the right size animal to fit in your crock pot. There are many running around the Fort. :)

Second, I would fasten the lid to the handles with some twine or wire.

Third, You most likely need to worry about two legged animals sampling your offering. :stir:

Fourth, It might help to put the crock pot in the tent, or it could intice animal destruction of the tent. My bet is that it would help preserve the food. Lots of campers just set them on a table.

Animals during the day should not be as much of a problem as they would be overnight.

Now, let's see how many tenters chime is and let me know how off base I am. :badpc:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: I was waiting for it!

I never thought about the animals before when I camped but I don't think I was ever gone for such a long period of time and was always back before dark. With DD9 wanting to theme park I'm thinking I won't be back before dark. The wire / twine thing is a good idea.

I guess it depends on how hungry the animals are! :joker: We have been camping at some of our local state parks and the squirrels were crazy!!

My crockpot has latches on the lid to keep it closed, but then again, I wouldn't leave it just out in the open, maybe in the screenhouse or something...or maybe you can try putting a milk crate or something over it with a brick weighing it down. Personally I would be afraid to leave it in the tent, due to electrical issues. I would hate for it to short out and take all my possessions with it. :scared: Then again...you may not have any issues at all. pixiedust:

Like that jester! You would think as a Louisianian I would want squirrels in my slow cooker :rotfl:! I saw a video on Youtube that showed one at FW trying to gnaw its way into a jar of Nutella that someone left out on their table. My DD9 thought it was hilarious!

I don't have a screenhouse, like you I'm also a little concerned about leaving something electrical and hot inside a tent. The crate / something over it idea is a pretty good thought that never occurred to me.
Hmmm . . . :scratchin

Thanks, ya'll I knew I'd get some good input.

If I was traveling in a truck I could just load up the yorkie's metal crate and put the slow cooker in that! See, now the ideas are flowing!

Keep 'em coming! I'm all ears:listen:

:confused3 Okay, I'm preping for my trip (as most of you know) and I'm a tenter. So, I'm planning my slow cooker crock pot meals, the thing is, do I need to be worried about animals?

I'll be leaving the crock pot, which has a glass lid, for 6 - 8 hours with food stuffs slowly cooking :stir: while everyone is away from our tent site.

Do I need to be concerned about animals attempting to eat MY food while I'm off theme parking it up? I sure don't want to return worn out and find no food and a busted crock pot. I am hoping to bring two tents (if space allows, I haven't done the run through pack yet), should I put the crock pot in the tent?

There are lots of squirrels and other critters at FW (some areas seem to have more than others). Not being in a hard side RV I would be concerned about leaving a crock pot in a tent with extension cards running around as others mentioned about fire.

I would personally be more concerned with animals running around on the table near my food. Especially squirrels are very prone to carrying disease. I'm sure I've been taught to be more cautious than some, but that's how I was raised (by the way from so. LA also).

At the least you could put the table in a screened room, but have also seen the pesky critters in those too.

Good luck pixiedust:

There are lots of squirrels and other critters at FW (some areas seem to have more than others). Not being in a hard side RV I would be concerned about leaving a crock pot in a tent with extension cards running around as others mentioned about fire.

I would personally be more concerned with animals running around on the table near my food. Especially squirrels are very prone to carrying disease. I'm sure I've been taught to be more cautious than some, but that's how I was raised (by the way from so. LA also).

At the least you could put the table in a screened room, but have also seen the pesky critters in those too.

Good luck pixiedust:

Good points. If I weren't so pressed for space in my car this would be easier to fix. I may have to wait until I get there and then go to Wally's :moped: and see what I can find to protect the pot from varmints. You'd think the heat from the pot would be enough but mine is programmable and will go to warm after my set cooking time is up.

I'm HOPING to be in the back of loop 1500 next to the canal and my country hermit experience is that there will be more critters in that area (and I do love and want to see them) so I want to be prepared and have as few :eek: moments as possible. So I need to cage the crock!

You need to beware of
. . . two 5'5" chipmunks
. . . a 5' rat
. . . a 5'2" nasty duck
. . . a 6'6" bear that comes over from WL

Ken, you must have stolen that recipe from the Roadkill Cafe! :worship:

To Tented1,

I will add, if you post your menu, site number, and specific dates here, I'll come by while you are in the parks and give your crockpot a stir. And I PROMISE not to lick the spoon! :cool1:

Bama ED

bama_ed said:
I will add, if you post your menu, site number, and specific dates here, I'll come by while you are in the parks and give your crockpot a stir. And I PROMISE not to lick the spoon! :cool1:

Bama ED

I'm aiming for YOUR favorite site. SHHHhhh!

I'll give you more specifics later (times/ dates). The Crock Pot Chicken 'n Dumplings posted in the camping recipe thread is looking pretty good!

TheRustyScupper said:
You need to beware of
. . . two 5'5" chipmunks
. . . a 5' rat
. . . a 5'2" nasty duck
. . . a 6'6" bear that comes over from WL[/QUOTE

ROFL!

I don't think my crock pot vittles would be safe from those animals even locked up cooking in my Ford Fiesta w/the extension cord run through the window! LOL's. We might want them to hit the pot IF we are there too!

You should never cook food in your tent. The smell will stay in the tent and entice night animals to try to get into the tent. Avid campers/hikers always store food outside of their tent, sometimes in a tree to keep it away from animals. Keeping food inside your tent may cause unwanted visitors while you sleep. As far as squirrels on the table. They are on the table with or without the crockpot being there.

We tent at the fort a lot. I just set the crockpot on the table. We do have a screen room but if critters wanted in it wouldn't be too hard. We haven't had any problems. I like the idea to put a crate over it.

You do have me wondering about changing our set up next time.:scratchin

4kids4karen said:
You should never cook food in your tent. The smell will stay in the tent and entice night animals to try to get into the tent. Avid campers/hikers always store food outside of their tent, sometimes in a tree to keep it away from animals. Keeping food inside your tent may cause unwanted visitors while you sleep. As far as squirrels on the table. They are on the table with or without the crockpot being there.

I'm bringing 2 tents. 1 is more or less for storage = no sleepers inside. If I were camping at Glacier National Park or like places I would be more more diligent with food and food storage but at WDW resort area I think I may be able to be more lax. Although raccoons can be wiley and destructive. But as you've said tent and food = not good.

We will be using dis transportation, Crockpot in back of hatchback? Yay / Nay ?

cheapcheermom said:
We tent at the fort a lot. I just set the crockpot on the table. We do have a screen room but if critters wanted in it wouldn't be too hard. We haven't had any problems. I like the idea to put a crate over it.

You do have me wondering about changing our set up next time.:scratchin

If I knew I would be back before dark I probably wouldn't worry either.

OKAY! I think I've got it!

Since we we will be there during Christmas Season an annoying animated Christmas decoration and : or motion activated loud one!

Was just at the fort last week. Let me tell you those Squirrels are a pain.
They got into the dinning tent and every thing in it. We had some bags we were going to use as daily garbage bags..... not one was usable as they put holes in all of them. The pushed the toaster on to the ground and took it for a walk. I would make sure you have a way of keeping the lid on the crock pot.
As far as an animated decoration I don't think it would bother them that much. The ones we had would play hide a seek on the trees and wait till you left to get into trouble.

I'm bringing 2 tents. 1 is more or less for storage = no sleepers inside. If I were camping at Glacier National Park or like places I would be more more diligent with food and food storage but at WDW resort area I think I may be able to be more lax. Although raccoons can be wiley and destructive. But as you've said tent and food = not good.

We will be using dis transportation, Crockpot in back of hatchback? Yay / Nay ?

I would vote - Nay ;) You definitely wouldn't want it closed, nor would you want it left open :)

Wow, you are really having a rough time, aren't you? And you're not even there yet! Sorry about all this, but it's the whole leaving things out cooking unattended that could be the problem. Between the squirrels and r'coons there are some wiley creatures there. The smell lingers and draws them back to try to find more, even if they don't find a way to get the crockpot lid off.

If you really are planning on cooking on the table, I would just put a crate over the pot and weight it down. Then, just hope for the best! ::yes::

I would vote - Nay ;) You definitely wouldn't want it closed, nor would you want it left open :)

Wow, you are really having a rough time, aren't you? And you're not even there yet! Sorry about all this, but it's the whole leaving things out cooking unattended that could be the problem. Between the squirrels and r'coons there are some wiley creatures there. The smell lingers and draws them back to try to find more, even if they don't find a way to get the crockpot lid off.

If you really are planning on cooking on the table, I would just put a crate over the pot and weight it down. Then, just hope for the best! ::yes::

Not a hard time. Just like to be prepared and thought someone might have dealt with it before.

I think ya'll are right, putting something over the top seems to be the key. We'll see how it goes once we get there. Sounds like the squirrels are a little too prolific. :crowded:

pixiedust: Could wire the whole thing to the table with small gauge wire, that would prevent the lid getting lifted, the pot getting knocked off, be easy, and not take up needed room in my car. pixiedust:

See, I just needed help getting the thought process flowing!

Was just at the fort last week. Let me tell you those Squirrels are a pain.
They got into the dinning tent and every thing in it. We had some bags we were going to use as daily garbage bags..... not one was usable as they put holes in all of them. The pushed the toaster on to the ground and took it for a walk. I would make sure you have a way of keeping the lid on the crock pot.
As far as an animated decoration I don't think it would bother them that much. The ones we had would play hide a seek on the trees and wait till you left to get into trouble.

Sorry they caused you so much trouble. :furious: (I know people who could take care of them! :stir: Squirrel gumbo, squirrel sauce picant, squirrel and gravy . . . ) I myself don't eat them. Though I used to hunt them with my little 410 bolt action when I was a young swampgirl.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try and be prepared for the squirrel onslought!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter