Furious - need some clarity

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by FlyingDumbo, May 9, 2013.

1. Allison

Allison DIS Veteran

Applause---Applause.:thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Liberty Belle

Liberty Belle <font color=green>I was going to reply, but I see

The reason I thought she should is just to see what all could happen or what to look for. As lawyers, you know if there's anything you could or couldn't do, etc.

4. Social Worker Sue

Social Worker Sue Mouseketeer

:thumbsup2

And just because a "lawyer" is posting on a Disney board that no attorney is needed, well um, I don't know if the OP should abide;) It's just another opinion.

5. LisaTC

LisaTC DIS Veteran

I didn't read through every page of this, but in our state, police wouldn't be called necessarily if the "accident" occurred on private property. It is wise to do so for insurance purposes. Our state statute requires an individual driving or operating a motor vehicle on any public or private property to stop after an accident or collision resulting in injury or damage to persons or property when they had knowledge of the accident or collision. They are also required to submit their information within twenty-four hours to a law enforcement officer if they were previously unable to give the information to the owner.

This offense is punishable as a misdemeanor of the first degree or felony of the fifth or third degree. Additionally, the alleged offenders drivers license will be suspended under a class five suspension, which will result in a suspension from at least six months to three years.

Your insurance company will likely try to impose the damages on her insurance company since there is video surveillance, even though it was private property because without her negligence, your car would be fine and it is clearly not. Any contact with her or requests from her to forego her responsibility is highly inappropriate and combative on her part. Hire an attorney to speak for you or at least have one write a letter to her to cease and desist with communicating directly with you and have your insurance company go after hers. That's why they have a million attorneys.

HR isn't living up to their own policies, but that happens. Clearly, she needs to be held accountable. It is unfortunate that all that has gone on has, well, gone on. As a physician, she has taken an oath to first do no harm, that doesn't just count in the operating room. An oath is an oath. She should pay for the damages and she should also be reprimanded for her actions and put on report if they are going to dig their heels in and not fire her per policy.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I would not communicate with her or HR. I would allow mediation only via an external mediator.

6. Disneyland1084

Disneyland1084 OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!

Good luck today!

7. DisReno

DisReno Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear back from the OP.

I do feel however, that she has gotten more than enough advice, some of it overly dramatic and over blown for the situation.

Also, for the posters who say "I haven't read through every post, but here's my take..." Well, your advice has already been given and if you had taken the time to read, you would have seen that.

Really, she's done nothing wrong and really all we need to do now is wait and see what HR says to her.

8. TruRiRi

TruRiRi Earning My Ears

If she gets fired, then she may not be able to pay you.

She also has children to support.

9. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

She isn't paying anything - her car insurance is. If she was covered during the incident losing her job now wouldn't really matter.

Frankly, I don't think the whole 'she has children to support' argument should mean squat to the OP. The doctor wasn't concerned about the repercussions of her actions towards the OP and her family and how it may have affected them... why should the OP worry about the doctor?

OP - you've done your part. The car is being fixed and the you do not have to come up with the deductible since she is at fault. You have nothing else to do in this matter. It can only cause as much stress as you let it from here on out. Hopefully everything went well in your meeting.

10. Lorelei Lee

Lorelei Lee DIS Veteran

The doctor's insurer is picking up the tab, of course.

But I agree with you on the "she has children to support" BS. If you don't pay your creditors, your creditors will pursue a claim against you in court. If you don't pay a creditor's judgment, you are subject to enforcement proceedings -- including wage garnishments and luens against your bank accounts and/or real property. And no one will care if you have "chikdren to support".

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards

11. Lorelei Lee

Lorelei Lee DIS Veteran

As I said in my first post, the OP is free to consult an attorney. I'd never tell her not to if she thought she needed to talk to someone.

But what do you want that attorney to do for the OP? If I'm paying someone $450 an hour for their expertise, I kind of expect that I'll get some benefit from that expertise.

12. krcit

krcit DIS Veteran

13. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

Exactly! Super awful situation for the OP and totally get being crazy upset... but the biggest concern was finding the money for the deductible to get the car fixed. That part has now been taken care of. Is the doctor's attitude irritating? Yeah. I'd been a bit annoyed at being accosted in the parking lot, but at this point the OP's problem is being resolved. Hopefully after this meeting with HR it's finished and the OP can go about her business as she was before.

14. Squirlz

Squirlz DIS Veteran

Not this time anyway. The Doctor was obviously not paying attention. The car she hit could just as well have been a baby in a shopping cart. She needs to be taught that there are consequences to her actions.

15. NaLisa

NaLisa DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

16. Liberty Belle

Liberty Belle <font color=green>I was going to reply, but I see

See, I don't get that. The more people give me the same advice, the more likely I'm going to follow it. I think there is benefit in people giving the same advice and if they don't have time to read the entire post, I don't see the big deal. I know some others feel the same way you do, though.

17. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

When I talked about getting a lawyer it was not so she could sue the doctor for money. It was so she had someone who knows the law to represent her in any meetings. Like any company, they want to cover their rear end. I hope she doesn't sign anything w/out having someone look at it.

18. Spacklefish

Spacklefish Earning My Ears

The FACT that she let it go and did not attempt to find you to work things out tells you a lot about her character. You say shes a doctor, i wouldnt want a doctor with that kind if ethics working on me or my family. I say do what you can to get her fired!!!!!

19. Lorelei Lee

Lorelei Lee DIS Veteran

Do you even know what the HR meeting was about?

20. TwingleMum

TwingleMum DIS Veteran

I would make sure the police were notified. It is a crime to damage a car and leave the scene. Doesn't matter if the parking lot is private. I would also suggest the defendant needs to learn a lesson. I seriously doubt if the camera didn't capture the accident that the "good" doctor would have come forward. OP make sure you keep a log of dates ,times, who you spoke to and what they said it may come in handy if they pressure you,

21. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

No, of course I don't. Do you?