Funny Gay Day 2009 Experiences

I must have misplaced by Gay Card ... can someone please explain the "Drink your juice, Shelby" thing to me? :confused3

I must have misplaced by Gay Card ... can someone please explain the "Drink your juice, Shelby" thing to me? :confused3

I am glad that I am not the only one who doesn't get it. I thought since I was a straight woman, that it had to be a totally gay thing. So, can someone enlighten us?

It's a line from one of the most quoted-by-gay-men films of all time: Steel Magnolias!

It's what M'Lynn (Sally Field) says to her daughter Shelby (Julia Roberts) right after Shelby has had a diabetic episode (foreshadowing things to come in the film). Shelby is recovering but upset that her mom is treating her like a child and M'Lynn tells her to drink her juice.

I've heard of gay men having their gay cards revoked and toaster ovens taken away for not having seen this film. ;)

"There! My secret is out! I am having an affair with a Mercedes Benz!" :rotfl2:

Thanks for clearing that up. I have seen that movie several times and I still didn't make the connection. Weezer is my fav character in that movie. My nieces tell me that I will be like that when I am really old.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have seen that movie several times and I still didn't make the connection. Weezer is my fav character in that movie. My nieces tell me that I will be like that when I am really old.

I don't know if that's a good thing to be called, or a bad thing. :)

It's a line from one of the most quoted-by-gay-men films of all time: Steel Magnolias!

It's what M'Lynn (Sally Field) says to her daughter Shelby (Julia Roberts) right after Shelby has had a diabetic episode (foreshadowing things to come in the film). Shelby is recovering but upset that her mom is treating her like a child and M'Lynn tells her to drink her juice.

I've heard of gay men having their gay cards revoked and toaster ovens taken away for not having seen this film. ;)

"There! My secret is out! I am having an affair with a Mercedes Benz!" :rotfl2:

Well, I did see the movie and it's a great film and all, but I still don't get how it's such a great line. I also don't have track lighting in my home. Who do I return my Gay Card to?

Well, part of it is that it's a line from Steel Magnolias and you don't see many shirts like that. But check out this Zazzle.com page for some made by the public.

The other is the circumstances of the scene in the film. You would say that line to someone when you want to be condescending to them AND tell them to shut-up at the same time. ;)

And no need to hand in your card. Jus watch the film again and study that scene. :)

The other is the circumstances of the scene in the film. You would say that line to someone when you want to be condescending to them AND tell them to shut-up at the same time. ;)
One of my favorite lines to use with DHB when he's cranky

"Butcha are, Blanche….ya are in that wheelchair!"

I'll be using it a lot on our next trip to the World as one of our friends has occasional foot/knee problems and we will be taking a wheelchair for her.

Another straight girl chiming in....
We were there Thurs thru Thurs last week. I saw one group of people wearing red shrts. I also saw groups of tie-dyed shirts, lime green shirts, orange shirts, family vacation shirts, etc.
Should I have been treating the red shirts differently? Cuz all I did was smile and go about my business. Just like the other color shirts.
People need to remember to mind their own business, and if something offends you, look at something else.

Should I have been treating the red shirts differently?

From one straight girl to another... Respect is good. ::yes:: :goodvibes

Cuz all I did was smile and go about my business. Just like the other color shirts.

:thumbsup2

People need to remember to mind their own business, and if something offends you, look at something else.

::yes:: Well mind their own business and get over themselves! :laughing:

I think that Mariachi band was on my plane back home to CA--they had won some competition while there. They weren't any more annoying then your typical teenagers but it made for a VERY looooooooong flight...especially with their need to play musical chairs. Thank merciful god nobody asked them to break out a tune!

DH had a funny post-Gay Days experience at SeaWorld today. He was on a man date with a straight friend (who ironically works in Disney Entertainment), and they were waiting in line to ride Atlantis. They were chatting about Gay Days, and there was a gay couple in front of them whose ears perked up, and they all spent the remainder of their wait time chatting. DH will talk anyone's ear off, gay or straight, but he didn't realize one little fact that his friend pointed out later...that the guys thought they were a couple too! DH has great gaydar but he can be quite oblivious to other things. Oh well, it doesn't bother him to be mistaken for a gay guy...every year he proudly wears red at MK in support and he did get goo goo eyes from one guy there this year, hee hee.

One of my favorite lines to use with DHB when he's cranky

"Butcha are, Blanche….ya are in that wheelchair!"

I'll be using it a lot on our next trip to the World as one of our friends has occasional foot/knee problems and we will be taking a wheelchair for her.

I love that line too!! It's a family favorite.

DH had a funny post-Gay Days experience at SeaWorld today. He was on a man date with a straight friend (who ironically works in Disney Entertainment), and they were waiting in line to ride Atlantis. They were chatting about Gay Days, and there was a gay couple in front of them whose ears perked up, and they all spent the remainder of their wait time chatting. DH will talk anyone's ear off, gay or straight, but he didn't realize one little fact that his friend pointed out later...that the guys thought they were a couple too! DH has great gaydar but he can be quite oblivious to other things. Oh well, it doesn't bother him to be mistaken for a gay guy...every year he proudly wears red at MK in support and he did get goo goo eyes from one guy there this year, hee hee.

LOL Great story!

And your husband knows the straight person from Entertainment? How cool! :rotfl2:

OK. Finally getting a second here to comment more.

Now listen to me Mr. ROB!!! We don't do the "b" word ever! :scared::scared: We did see you both, but simply chickened out on approaching you. We're funny like that.

ConcK was having a grand time with his buds, so we did the same thing...waved, smiled and didn't approach.

The "b" word indeed! :snooty:

We have some photos to share, but I'm not up on the photobucket stuff.

O'Mike has posted some photos for me, not sure if he has the time now though to do that.

At any rate, if I can figure out how to get them here or link from here to them, I'll share. If not...well then they are mine all mine! ;):laughing:

Now listen to me Mr. ROB!!! We don't do the "b" word ever! :scared::scared: We did see you both, but simply chickened out on approaching you. We're funny like that.

Okay, I was kidding when I said that you "blew us off". Since we had no set plans, you technically couldn't have done so, anyway. At least not in my mind.

Are you the ones that waved at us from the area across from Pirates of the Carribean? I remember two lovely ladies waved at us, and I waved back and turned to Scott and said "I wonder if they're just friendly, or if they recognize us from the multitudes of pictures I've posted online?" His comment was "Oh, this could get INTERESTING!" :rotfl2:

And then we got in line for Big Thunder and Mikelan6 introduced himself to us! :thumbsup2

In the future please don't be shy, I really would like to meet you. ::yes::

We have some photos to share, but I'm not up on the photobucket stuff.

O'Mike has posted some photos for me, not sure if he has the time now though to do that.

At any rate, if I can figure out how to get them here or link from here to them, I'll share. If not...well then they are mine all mine! ;):laughing:

Do you have a photobucket account set up? If so, below each picture there is an image code for discussion groups. (It starts with ) Just copy that code and paste it into your message here on the DIS. Easy as that.

If you don't have a photobucket account, it's easy and free to set up. And once you've got it set up, it's as easy as hitting a button and selecting the pictures from your computer that you want to upload.

Very easy, that's why I use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter