Fundraising Ideas for Disney World Performance?

Kidztheater

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone!

This May/June our group was selected to perform in Downtown Disney. A group of 22 of us will be going down for 9 days to tour the parks, take a workshop and do 2 performances. Our goal is to raise enough to cover all expenses for the trip (including food) which we did last year.

My question is, do you have any ideas for fundraisers that our group could do.

The pros to fundraisers for our group are:

- our kids are incredibly talented (we have had kids on Broadway) so anything that involves performing usually does well.
- some of our kids are very "crafty" and sell their merchandise

The cons are:

- our kids come from ALL over and some live 3 hours away from New York City (our home base) so its hard to organize
- our kids are REALLY busy since they are performing and training all the time
- we have done what seems like 3 million Talent Shows to raise money and I think our fans are "talent showed out"

Does anyone have any great fundraising ideas that the kids could do individually? Or something that we could gather the kids for but would be a quick something that would bring big crowds to support?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Our dance studio did a yard sale which did very well. Probably wouldn't raise enough for the entire trip though. All of the parents from the dance center donated items.

How about selling candy bars? My friends son is selling gift cards. He is in the school band. I guess each month they place an order. The school gets a small percent back on the sale. I guess this is an ongoing fundraiser since my friend has ask if I need any gift cards for the next 4 years to get them through her

A guy at work's son was fundraising for his school band to go to the Rose Bowl parade last year. In addition to chocolate bars, they did calendar raffles where for $5 they sold raffle tickets and each day of the month a different ticket was drawn for a different prize. They had gotten donations from a variety of stores and some days also had cash prices (most were $25 or $50 but there was one day as high as $200). They raised a lot of money on these calendars. They also did a 50/50 draw. There was a limit of 200 tickets sold but the tickets cost $100 each. This one fundraiser raised $10,000 towards the trip (the winner got 50% of what was collected so the winner got $10,000). I don't know if any kind of legal permission is required for these kinds of fundraisers so definitely check into that before doing them, but they can raise a lot of money.

A guy at work's son was fundraising for his school band to go to the Rose Bowl parade last year. In addition to chocolate bars, they did calendar raffles where for $5 they sold raffle tickets and each day of the month a different ticket was drawn for a different prize. They had gotten donations from a variety of stores and some days also had cash prices (most were $25 or $50 but there was one day as high as $200). They raised a lot of money on these calendars. They also did a 50/50 draw. There was a limit of 200 tickets sold but the tickets cost $100 each. This one fundraiser raised $10,000 towards the trip (the winner got 50% of what was collected so the winner got $10,000). I don't know if any kind of legal permission is required for these kinds of fundraisers so definitely check into that before doing them, but they can raise a lot of money.

Yes, be careful about this one. Sometimes this can be considered "gambling" and might be against certain group's rules.

Ihope they have a wonderful time-I am sure they will!
When I was in High School my pom team was selected to perform at WDW as well and it is one of my fondest memories.

One thing I did really appreciate about the way we did fundraising was that it was not just divided equally among all the girls, each person had their own account and their direct fundraising efforts went into working on their specific bill. So let's say 15 girls worked a car wash one weekend and it raised $300, each of those specific girls would get $20 for their bill. This really helped keep things fair and make sure the work one girl did was credited to her.

Once we had all of our "bill" paid off we could help others with theirs. If a girl did not have her total worked off then she or her parents had to pay for the rest. Knowing that you were getting credit only when you did the work helped keep us all motivated!

I remember we did a lot of car washes! I know you said there is a lot of distance between the homes so maybe you could have 2 or 3 on the same day in different areas. We also sold candy (the $1 bars that are probably more than $1 now!)

Another easy thing would be to get wrapped Hershey bars at a wholesale food place (like Costco, Sam's, etc.) and have the teammates do cute wrappers for them for Easter on the computer and resell them in front of a grocery store as a fundraiser.

Wow, they should have a great time! My son's HS band is going next month - but just for 4 days with 2 performances. The cost per teen is $1100, but they are flying (fron Newark), so I imagine that number can be cut some, but buses aren't free either.

Our kids did have opportunities to fundraise, but it was kept in separate accounts and the great majority of the cost is being paid by the parents. Our son raised about $50 selling cheesecakes and entertainment books. Could he have raised more? Yes, but I hate fundraisers. So, he just owes us a ton of babysitting and yardwork, lol. I think most families went the same route.

For group fundraisers I think the candy, wrapping paper, etc. would be difficult to raise enough in such a short time frame. The fundraisers our kids did were in the fall. I have had good luck raising several thousand dollars with tricky trays, 5k's, and raffles - but they all involve permission from officials, advertising, and planning - not sure you have time for that either...

How did you guys raise enough to cover the costs last year? With a short time frame, I'd stick with what has worked in the past. Have a good time!

Restaurant nights...find restaurants that donate part of their proceeds from a day or night for people who identify themselves as being with your group.

Applebee's does a pancake breakfast for this purpose.

So I am going to be the wet blanket. Fundraising or asking for donations should be for a charitable cause, not to fund your own personal vacation.

Disney is a business and you have to give them credit for this great marketing idea. They "select" groups from across the country and ask them to perfom a time or two on some random stage, in return they pay you nothing and don't pay for your expenses. WDW gets free entertainment for the parks, park admission fees, food fees and lodging to line their own pockets all for "honoring" your group. They use these honors to lure people to spend money at their parks.

Our performance choir did bagging at grocery stores. Last year they did it and raised hundreds of dollars per girl towards London, and this year for Disney and St. Louis.

So I am going to be the wet blanket. Fundraising or asking for donations should be for a charitable cause, not to fund your own personal vacation.

Disney is a business and you have to give them credit for this great marketing idea. They "select" groups from across the country and ask them to perfom a time or two on some random stage, in return they pay you nothing and don't pay for your expenses. WDW gets free entertainment for the parks, park admission fees, food fees and lodging to line their own pockets all for "honoring" your group. They use these honors to lure people to spend money at their parks.
I don't think you are a wet blanket - in the current economic state of our country - DH and I are feeling more and more this way. We try to support groups that "Need" money for basics in life rather than wants now.

I do feel that performances would be the best way to do this. Why don't you hold it in a new venue - since your group lives in such a wide range of area and rather than be a talent show - why not be the performance you would do in WDW?

:thumbsup2 Not a "wet blanket" at all, simply very logical. If Disney wants them to perform then why do they not give them at least free accomodations and the free DDP? Giving money to a group of kids and parents so that they can tour Disney, do the parks and eat for free for NINE DAYS is not my idea of "charitable causes" and would not think kindly of anyone asking me for money so they can go on vacation because that is what it is at the end of the day. Most people I know plan and save for their vacation for a very long time (think coupons, change jars, selling stuff etc.) They do not ask other people to fund it. Just MHO.:)

This is SO true!!!! I can't even imagine the millions that Disney brings in each year, with tickets, rooms, foods etc., by inviting various groups to perform. I would imagine that each group stays a minimum of 3-4 days so big bucks for sure!!! That being said, our son went with his band last year. He had the time of his life and I wouldnt trade the experience for anything. Additionally our whole family went and had a great time. (as well as spending quite a bit of cash!) We are hoping that our younger son goes with the band next year. It was a wonderful experience, and a wonderful vacation. We paid for the whole thing and didnt participate in any fundraisers. Like I said it was great and we would do it again in a heartbeat, but I agree it is a HUGE money maker for Disney!!!!!

Our dance studio did a yard sale which did very well. Probably wouldn't raise enough for the entire trip though. All of the parents from the dance center donated items.

I think this is a great idea. I used to volunteer for a feline rescue group and we did a donation yard sale. Lots of people donated things then we held the sale and did really well.

I for one would gladly donate things and come to the sale (if you were in my area). I will not buy candy bars, wrapping paper etc I just don't want any more 'stuff'. Also with fundraisers like that the group isn't getting all or even most of the $$ so for me a yard sale where all of the profits are going directly to the cause makes more sense.

SO True! We shouldn't look at these trips like we are raising funds to cure cancer or help people in Haiti or Japan!

Our school did a couple of small fundraiser for one reason - so the kids would be doing some of the work, instead of it being all on the parents. We are lucky enough to be able to pay for the trip, but the world will not be any worse if a kid cannot perform in DW.

Not only are we paying for him, we are going to see him too, so it's his cost plus ours... It's also our spring break vacation - but we probably wouldn't be going this April if they weren't going. DW really has a good racket going with these performances!

I think this is a great idea. I used to volunteer for a feline rescue group and we did a donation yard sale. Lots of people donated things then we held the sale and did really well.

I for one would gladly donate things and come to the sale (if you were in my area). I will not buy candy bars, wrapping paper etc I just don't want any more 'stuff'. Also with fundraisers like that the group isn't getting all or even most of the $$ so for me a yard sale where all of the profits are going directly to the cause makes more sense.

Our choir did Candy Bars too, they are actually very easy to sell, and half of the $1.00 per bar, goes to the child/organization, so pretty profitable overall.

I am in the dire predicament of raising funds for a San Diego FCCLA trip for my DD. And I don't even get to go!!! (Assuming they take a good placement at State).

However, one thing the FCCLA does is at their banquet they do 'baskets' - each girl/guy creates a basket (or more) that is then bid on. It's up to the kids if they solicit donations for the baskets, do something handmade, etc.

Last year I did a movie basket with a DVD I got from Quill, micro popcorn, 'movie' type candy, etc. I brought around $40. I did a second one with Bath & Body works 'extras' from sales & bundles that had accumulated and it brought a similar amount. We had gardening ones - fishing ones - ha

This would be harder to do in a Walmart type of environment, but I did see a group doing it - they had a bake sale out front but instead of doing a silent auction on the baskets, they sold $1 tickets (6 for 5 or ??15 for 10 - something like that). You bought as many tickets as you wanted & put them in the buckets for the appropriate item you wanted to win with your name & phone number on it.

Obviously the second method would go towards the group as a whole - the money collected would have to be divided. In the banquet method, each girl/guy would get the money from their own basket.

PS - World's Finest is the company that they do the $1 bars for around here. If you can see in front of a grocery store or WM they go very well. Right now 3 groups just did those so those won't work for our group obviously.

i hope this is not too forward, but OP could you tell me the approximate cost per student?

my dd's high school choir was also selected to sing at DTD but the cost was a little too high in my opinion (wed to sat, fly in/out of laguardia, resort, park ticket, some meals = $880/student) and very few students signed up, so we got our deposits back this week... dd was incredibly disappointed (and i am for her also)...

i hope this is not too forward, but OP could you tell me the approximate cost per student?

my dd's high school choir was also selected to sing at DTD but the cost was a little too high in my opinion (wed to sat, fly in/out of laguardia, resort, park ticket, some meals = $880/student) and very few students signed up, so we got our deposits back this week... dd was incredibly disappointed (and i am for her also)...

Not the original poster, but similar trip to yours - DS marching band next month. $1100 for air from EWR, hotel (4 per room), 2 meals a day, ticket. They leave Wednesday afternoon and return on Sunday. Most of our kids are going (over 100), perhaps because they only go once every 4 years?

Hope that helps - sorry your daughter was disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter