Fudge help needed

soccerchick

Dis Veteran<br><font color=red>My husband has rice
Last year I tried my first batch of peanut butter fudge. It never did set up real well and stayed mushy on the bottom. Has anyone had this happen before? I thought I measured carefully. Thought I'd see if anyone knew what my error was before I try another batch on my snow day tomorrow ;)

TIA

I've never made peanut butter fudge before, but with my regular fudge if I don't use fresh ingredients and cook and follow directions exactly, then that will happen to me too.

Here's the recipe I've been using, and it is wonderful!! I'm not sure where I got it, but it is so good. You don't even need a candy thermometer. Just be sure to boil the mixture for the exact time indicated and stir it constantly. It always -- without fail -- turns out so creamy and good. So far, this year, I've made about 20 lbs. :blush:

I always use a 9 x 13" pan, 'cause I like big, thick pieces. But, you could easily use a jellyroll pan, like the original author says, if you like your fudge not quite as thick (tall) I have another recipe that I think is good, but it's not quite as creamy. Plus, I think the brown sugar in this recipe gives the fudge a richer taste.

Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

This is a GREAT recipe. You cook the butter and sugar a certain amount of time, not to a temperature, so you don't need a candy thermometer. Also, I like to put it in a jellyroll pan instead of a 9x13. Makes a lot more that way! ENJOY!

4 c. white sugar
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. butter (I use real butter, not margarine)
1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
1 (7-oz.) jar marshmallow creme
1 (18-oz.) jar peanut butter
1 t. vanilla extract

Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, brown sugar, butter, and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for 7 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in marshmallow creme until well incorporated and melted. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Spread in prepared pan. Let cool before cutting into squares.

Thanks for the recipe - it looks like the one I used. I'm saving yours and will check it w/mine. The only other thing I can think of was that I used cheap, store brand pb which did seem a bit oilier (sp?) than my regular Jif. I hit Costco and got the big double jars, so i'll use Jif instead this year.

Wish me luck!

I mostly use off brand pb and it turns out fine. My recipe calls for it to come to a soft ball stage...if I don't get it to this stage the fudge won't set. I now use a candy thermometer, but use to time it (can't remember how long). There is also a test by dropping a bit of the mixture into water, haven't done this before.

Thanks for posting this recipe! i just made it and is great and very easy to prepare.

This may sound weird...but I have a great fudge recipe (See's Fudge :teeth: )..anyways the ONLY time I've had any trouble with it setting was when it was real humid out. Actually it had been raining for a couple days...I'm not sure if it had anything to do with my fudge not turning out..but after that happened I did hear something along that line to make me think it could have interferred with it.

I tried my 1st batch of PB fudge the other evening too, and it didn't set up either. I used my mom's recipe, really simple (posted below for the heck of it), and I called and asked her what I did wrong, she said I didn't let it cook long enough. Then she explained it to me the right way (so I could understand it, lol) and I'm going to try again. In the meantime, I'm enjoying eating my "soup" out of the pan. It does taste like it would have been great fudge!!!

Here's our recipe:

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 cup marshmallow cream
1 cup peanut butter

Put sugar and milk in a pan and cook it until it forms a soft ball (my candy thermometer says about 245°)--mom says to let it boil about 5 min or so after it starts boiling. (I didn't do that, lol). Add the marshmallow cream and peanut butter, mix very well. Pour into a buttered 8x8 pan and let it cool completely before you cut it.

bigbabyblues said:
In the meantime, I'm enjoying eating my "soup" out of the pan. It does taste like it would have been great fudge!!!

I guess if it doesn't set up, you could use it on top of vanilla or chocolate ice cream. :cool1: Label it "Peanut butter fudge topping"

Thanks for all of the recipes. Yummmmmmm! I hadn't *planned* on making pbfudge, but I just might *have* to now, lol!

Jeanne

Here's a really easy recipe for Peanut Butter Fudge from a Tupperware party.

1 18 oz. jar creamy peanut butter
1 can vanilla frosting
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Put all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stip well and pour into a foil lined 11x7 or 8x8 pan. Refrigerate until hardened. They soften up if they are not kept in the fridge.

scrapperjill said:
This may sound weird...but I have a great fudge recipe (See's Fudge :teeth: )..anyways the ONLY time I've had any trouble with it setting was when it was real humid out. Actually it had been raining for a couple days...I'm not sure if it had anything to do with my fudge not turning out..but after that happened I did hear something along that line to make me think it could have interferred with it.

Would you mind posting your See's recipe when you get a chance? Our mall just set up a kiosk for See's for the holidays. :) Yummm.

hezreck said:
Here's a really easy recipe for Peanut Butter Fudge from a Tupperware party.

1 18 oz. jar creamy peanut butter
1 can vanilla frosting
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Put all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stip well and pour into a foil lined 11x7 or 8x8 pan. Refrigerate until hardened. They soften up if they are not kept in the fridge.

Did you get to taste or make this recipe? Sounds super easy and cheaper :rolleyes: than the "traditional" recipes.

Success!! Thanks to all who offered advice! I made some pb fudge tonight using the recipe from Jif's website (a slight variation from most of the ones already posted here). The recipe said to boil for 5 minutes and I had my timer (dd) there :rotfl:

Now, to get it packaged and put out of sight before I eat it all...

Good job! I tried to do make fudge, the recipe was called "no fail fudge" and I failed!!!! Now I do not even attempt to make fudge. :)

Yea, soccerchick! I'm glad you found something that worked. Congratulations!

Ok...last night I made fudge...same recipe as always...never have problems. Well, came out all greasy,buttery on top. It looked weird. It did harden though. Just looks like cr*p. I used a different butter. (store brand). Does anyone know if you are suppose to use Unsalted or Sweet cream butter? I always just use to use "butter". Now they are all labeled weird. What do you use when a recipe calls for just butter?

pppiglet said:
Ok...last night I made fudge...same recipe as always...never have problems. Well, came out all greasy,buttery on top. It looked weird. It did harden though. Just looks like cr*p. I used a different butter. (store brand). Does anyone know if you are suppose to use Unsalted or Sweet cream butter? I always just use to use "butter". Now they are all labeled weird. What do you use when a recipe calls for just butter?

Oh no, I hope my bad baking is not contagious :rotfl2: I use salted because i can buy it cheaply at Costco and DH likes salted. I DID use salted with my fudge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter