Ft Wilderness - Archery

ehagerty

DIS Veteran
Heard about the new archery lesson / option at FW - probably through allearsnet - and booked it for a low key day during the WLV portion of our stay. I walked over to FW, spent a little time in the horse barn (pictures, soon), then met up with my post-exam-week, late-sleeper sons.

A little background - with 2 boys - and a karate instructor husband - well let's just say I haven't spent much time in a dance studio! DS21 is a decent marksman (Eagle Scout) and we are all martial artists. Doesn't mean we love weapons, but we aren't afraid of them, either. (Actually DS fashioned a Glock pistol and a rifle out of Legos when he was about 10 - will have to take picture...) .

DSs checked in (forget the name of the building - middle of FW, near the new pool), and waiting (Mom hoofing it across the bridge to get them caffiene ASAP):

p69925551-3.jpg

The "event" is lead by two cast members - the same ones who conduct the FW Segway tours. It is very well thought-out and safe. They practice all dimensions of the mini-routine, using drumbeats (so as not to confuse the lifeguards, who are within earshot at the new FW pool, with shouts / whistles / bells). Here is a picture of the "rules":

p535011707-3.jpg

... and some tips (get, it? "tips"?)

p38012818-3.jpg

Everyone picks up his/her bow (I was the only "her") from the rack and returns it after each "round."

p66487075-4.jpg

There are a series of 3 firing lines, and everyone shoots from the same line:

p137291178-3.jpg

The CMs walk up and down the line, couching with reminder tips up; tips for safety and accuracy / form:

p367962268-3.jpg

... picture of an example of "form" - the "finish" of the right hand by the ear - much like the "finish" form in bowling, or a golf swing....

p102062690-3.jpg

Each person retrieves, his (I'm just dropping the "her" for the rest of this report) arrows and returns them to the "quiver" - together, properly removing the arrow by the appropriate place ON the arrow:

p454660573-3.jpg

Some do better than others - and make funny faces for the camera:

p387861869-3.jpg

Conclusion:
Would we do it again? YES - boys had low expectations and really liked it.
Would we recommend it? YES - if it aligns with your interests and you are nearby.

Tips:

Bruises are possible - as a black belt, I finish my punches with a straight, locked down armed. I have little upper body strength at this point, but good form. This form does NOT work for archery - my elbow was directly in the path of the bow-string when the arrow is released. Quite a bruise - didn't really bother me - just mentioning it, so you know. Nothing like a little life lesson to improve my archery form quickly.

I am relatively good aerobic condition, but not much strength. I did about 80% of my arrows, and could have finished, but elected to let DSs use my arrows for 2-3 rounds. Worked for all of us, and the CMs were OK with it.

My right middle fingertip was quite numb for a few days. Was expecting a callous, but it did not materialize. I kept looking at it and rubbing it, though - which may have confused onlookers! My right shoulder, which I was expecting to be sore, was not at all.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like fun - maybe DH and I will try it on our next trip.

Can you tell me how much you paid for this? My daughter would love to do it... We are doing it at Girl Scout Day Camp when we get back from Disney and I have a son who is in Boy Scouts who loves to shoot archery too...

Archery Experience: Whether novice or expert marksman, an archery guide at the Bike Barn offers training and tips on how to hit the bulls-eye with a Compound Bow. Open to resort guests and non-guests alike, ages 6 and up, the 90-minute experience costs $25 (plus tax) per person, includes equipment and instruction and can be booked up to 90 days in advance by calling 407/939-7529. Credit card information is due at the time of booking. Walk ups are accepted. Offered Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoons from 2:45 - 4:15pm; the class has a maximum number of 10 people

WOW! Thanks for a great review. We are doing this in August and I can't wait.

As a side note... I took an archery class in college and remember (not too fondly...) the bruise on my inner left elbow! OUCH! I totally agree with your assessment of that.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter