FRS Radio use in St. Maarten/St. Thomas

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by MnParrothead, Jan 2, 2002.

1. MnParrothead

MnParrothead Member of the Corona Crew at DVB

Does anyone know if there are any rules/laws with regard to using FRS(Family Radio Service--up to two mile range)/GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service--need FCC licence in the US) radios in St. Maarten or St. Thomas? Would we have to use certain frequencies? Thanks for any info you can give me.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MnParrothead

Look, I'm a veteran now!! 77 posts.

4. Dave_from_Marietta

Dave_from_Marietta DIS Veteran

Yes, I know that the FRS radio packages specify that you are only licensed to use those bands in the United States. We didn't use ours when we went to Toronto just to be fully legal. But you'll see lots of your fellow cruisemates using them at St Maarten (Netherlands Antilles and French West Indies) and Castaway Cay (Bahamas). St Thomas is USVI, so the licensing question is a non-issue there.

5. Dave_from_Marietta

Dave_from_Marietta DIS Veteran

6. MnParrothead

Thanks Dave.

7. TacoBill

TacoBill Earning My Ears

I understand the FCC rules regarding FRS radios, but we'll be taking ours just about everywhere we go. Somehow, I doubt that the local authorities will be on the lookout for Motorola radios to confiscate from tourists.

8. MNJeff

MNJeff Earning My Ears

We used our FRS hand held units in St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Castaway Cay. I was unaware of the quoted regulations. They actually worked as long as we were within the appropriate range. They became invaluable.