From Whoville to Disneyland - Velkommen to Solvang! update p. 7

[Get your bibs ready, because here it comes--

th_IMG_4327.jpg

th_IMG_4328.jpg

3.gif

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

Wow! Nirvana on a napkin! This was the cutest little place, like the bakery I remember going to when I was little with my mom downtown. We found ourselves a small table already set with coffee cups and saucers and then perused all the pastries behind the counter. After much deliberation here is what we decided on (this time. Ah, foreshadowing...)

IMG_4331.jpg

Olivia's cinnamon roll

IMG_4332.jpg

My danish waffle. Do they have a danish waffle diet???

IMG_4333.jpg

Jim's triple chocolate (bypass) cake.

Oh, my!!!! Although the cinnamon roll was a tad dry, it had a wonderful homemade flavor and was very soft after you peel the first swirl away. It needed more frosting since it was so big, I think. The danish waffle, oh where have you been all my life? Flaky pastry dusted with sugar crystals on top and filled with sweetened whipped cream and lingonberry jam. It was so light and fluffy and buttery all at the same time. Jim's cake was definitely a little rich for a morning treat, but was enjoyed by both of us with a little coffee. The frosting was so buttery and rich and the cake was definitely made with dutch cocoa, much better flavor than plain chocolate cake (which I do not like). Between the three of us, there was not a crumb left of these goodies!

We then waddled out and found a neat little antique/craft/weird knick knack store. This was not good. See, these type of shops are our downfall; we used to go antiquing quite a bit before the whogirl came along and we're very bad to impulsively pick up quirky things. The only saving grace was the dratted carry-ons we had brought instead of proper luggage!

I did find this and we debated long and hard over actually purchasing it to use as an entertainment center.

IMG_4324.jpg

Made in China in the 1860's and the guy would let it go for $950. However, the shipping would be close to $500 :scared1: so we passed. We are still mourning over this months later (b/c it would look so gooood in my den) and decided if it's still there next summer, we're buying it!

I just loved these metal animals that were handmade in India. I am bringing a huge suitcase next time!

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

We had to look in the Christmas shop, book stores and everything else we came across.
IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

Found a monument to Hans Christian Andersen in the park.
IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

There was a Little Mermaid fountain on the other side of the street, but I couldn't get a shot of it without everyone's kids crawling all over it.

As we were walking by a dress shop with authentic Danish outfits, Olivia just had to go in "just to look". Well, you know what happened. First we just looked, then she decided on just a jumper, then she tried on the whole outfit. The hat did me in, so we went for the whole enchildada! It was just too cute! We got the red one ( hope you can see it here).

IMG_4351.jpg

Jim videoed her on his phone when she tried it on in the store, but I don't know how to download it. I did take a pic back at my aunt's the next day, so I'll post it once that day's pictures are uploaded. I was very proud that she wanted to spend her money on something like this, instead of junk. She saves her money all year, allowance and gifts, to take on vacations, so I paid half so we could get the whole outfit ($101 total, with tax). I figured she can wear it Halloween (her idea), church, Christmas and storybook day at school (think Heidi).

At this point we decided if we wanted to see any of Santa Barbara we needed to get a move on. It was already 1:30 and we were supposed to be back for dinner at F's house (steaks) around 6:30 pm. But you know I couldn't leave without one more trip to Olsen's!

IMG_4356.jpg

We purchased two more danish waffles, a huge turnover, and two flat spiral pastries with a sugar glaze (I've seen them called elephant ears, but I forgot to write down the name of what they were called here). Everything but an elephant ear was consumed for lunch. I did have some applesauce for Olivia to round out at least one food group! :rotfl2:

As we were leaving Solvang, we vowed next year to come for the whole day. We saw nowhere near all the little shops and of course we want to try even more of the food! DH was even talking about staying at one of the little inns there! Whee!

IMG_4317.jpg

Farvel Solvang! That's goodbye for all us who do not speak Danish. :snooty::rotfl2:

Next installment will be the Santa Barbara Mission and the beach!

Dang, now I want Danish pastries :headache:

What a cool town! Looks like you had a lot of fun :goodvibes

Solvang is so precious! There is great wine tasting up there too, but whogirl probably wouldn't be too interested in that. I'm dying to see her little costume.

What a charming little town! It's always so wonderful to stumble on the hidden gems.:goodvibes

Dang, now I want Danish pastries :headache:

What a cool town! Looks like you had a lot of fun :goodvibes

What a cute town and those pastries ... may I have one of each, please? :goodvibes

That has to be the cutest town I have ever seen! And those pastries....yum!

You just wanted to stay there and immerse yourself in the storybook-ness of it all!

Solvang is so precious! There is great wine tasting up there too, but whogirl probably wouldn't be too interested in that. I'm dying to see her little costume.

We were so sad to be missing the wine tasting; we saw several places that you had to be 21 to enter. Also, it was a Sunday morning, which is not usually prime imbibing time (say that three times fast!). It was very different than in Oregon, where we ran into wine tastings everywhere. Even in stores, if there was a bar, whogirl just had to stand three feet back from it. :rotfl2:
Man, we sound like bad parents...:sad2:

Solvang ! Thank You Thank You for that review of Solvang! I've wanted to visit since I saw Sideways, and I'm finally going in Dec ! I'm excited all over again ! Glad you made the comment about needing all day, I'll make sure to schedule enough time. We definately will be doing the wine tastings.

You just wanted to stay there and immerse yourself in the storybook-ness of it all!

We were so sad to be missing the wine tasting; we saw several places that you had to be 21 to enter. Also, it was a Sunday morning, which is not usually prime imbibing time (say that three times fast!). It was very different than in Oregon, where we ran into wine tastings everywhere. Even in stores, if there was a bar, whogirl just had to stand three feet back from it. :rotfl2:
Man, we sound like bad parents...:sad2:

That doesn't sound like bad parenting. I always think it's best for kids to see their parent's responsibly having a drink every now and then, because it teaches them it's OK and makes it less of this "ohhh, forbidden!!!" thing. But my Nana was slipping me wine when I was in grade school, so I probably shouldn't talk on these things:rolleyes1

Oh, Laura, you're not the only one who got that forbidden sip every now and then! I still remember the taste of my grandma's homemade wine (muscatel grapes) and my dad letting me have the first sip of his beer on a rare occasion when we would order pizza. I think that's why I never thought drinking was such a big deal to be able to do when I got old enough (not that I didn't do my share).

Funny story: I must have been born with the taste for beer b/c my dad and my uncle used to tell the story of them fixing my mom's kitchen sink one time and they had a six pack of Coors Light on the kitchen floor. They're working away and turn around to see two year old me sitting on the floor with every single can open! :rotfl: Had one in my little hand just sipping away....

WHOMOM .... are you guys OK over there in TN with all that rain and flash flooding??? Please check in and let us know how you are. :hug:

Hi WhoMom! I just wanted to let you know I'm reading along. Sounds like you've had a great time so far!

Denise

Worried about you!!!!!!

Kathy, thanks for checking on me. My dad passed away last week and I think I'm going to have to take a little hiatus from writing this until I feel better. I'll be over on Bendy's thread reading, just not feeling very talkative right now. I'll try to come back soon.

Kathy, thanks for checking on me. My dad passed away last week and I think I'm going to have to take a little hiatus from writing this until I feel better. I'll be over on Bendy's thread reading, just not feeling very talkative right now. I'll try to come back soon.

WGM, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Thoughts and prayers going out to you. :hug: Take all the time you need. We'll be here waiting for you when you are able to head back.

I know my friend, I saw your post on Bendy's thread a little while after I posted here. Still keeping you in my thoughts, been there.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter