From Verandah to inside stateroom?

eyeheartgoofy

DIS Veteran
We have cruised twice on DCL ... both times with a verandah room. We are thinking about downgrading from a verandah to a GTY 12 for our next cruise (which, I understand, will be at least upgraded to a category 11 since we are a family of 4).

The cruise is only 4 nights ... so, I'm thinking it would be a nice time to try a different type of room. Anyone ever do this kind of switch?

We had a porthole on the Wonder and then this past Jan., an inside Cat. 11 -- 2 of them actually for our family of 5. It was clean, comfortable and lots of fun. Of course, who wouldn't want the verandah -- but when you have to get two rooms or you need to save money -- I'd rather spend anything extra on the excursions or spa!

We've done it and it was OK!!

We had always had a balcony until a recent last minute cruise, where the only thing available was a guarantee category 10. We kept hoping for the upgrade to 9 because I was very worried about not having the natural light, but the upgrade did not come.

I cannot remember our room number but the room was great, it was a 3 night cruise and I would have no problem booking an interior view for a shorter cruise.

We had a verandah room last time on 4 night cruise but it would have been fine to have an inside cabin - I think I might need the verandah for the 7 night though. Worth the extra money for me.

I always have a cat 11 when I cruise solo and love it! I like that the bed is in the back and the couch/desk area is in the front. You can leave your TV turned to the bridge camera channel with the sound off, and as the sun comes up your room will brighten up from the TV picture. And an inside cabin is a great place to nap (though there's not much nap time on a four day)!

The biggest difference will be the single bath instead of the split bath. And if you are all trying to get ready at once....don't forget the showers at the gym...I hear the water pressure is great there!

Since there is no wrong or right on this issue, no one should take issue with me for feeling differently than the previous posters. Both my husband and I agree that we will never book an interior room again. We had verandah rooms our first two cruises, which we took with our children. Our third cruise, which was just for dh and me, we booked an inside room. We hoped it wouldn't matter that we didn't have the verandah, but it really did. Maybe, we would have been okay with a porthole. The issue was not having natural light in the room. It's not a problem for everyone, and based on what I've read on this thread and others on the same topic, dh and I are in the minority that it is a problem. So, you'll probably fine. We weren't.

I hear you Yazee1 - I am prone to seasickness and having the verandah did help me - the fresh air was coming into our room and seeing the horizon, all helped. I haven't tried an outside cabin but I think that would be okay for me too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter