Friends go to Disney for dinner and turn it into a week long trip! New updates 12/4

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by tazdev3225, Oct 22, 2012.

1. tazdev3225

tazdev3225 <font color=darkorchid>I sucked my thumb up with t

:welcome: Thanks for joining in and glad you are enjoying our adventures.

I'm lucky I didn't need surgery but am now in an air cast. I may get that off in time for Thanksgiving. I had a third degree sprain. I usually rent an ECV because I've had 6 knee surgeries and have disc issues, but I can get out of it if I want to for a little bit. I just can't handle all of the walking. This trip was very different as I was not able to walk well at all and the doctor gave me strict orders. NO WALKING!!! She was quite adament about it. BTMRR didn't help any either.

Who do you rent from? Walker is no longer preferred at DIsney so I may need to switch companies next year. I hope you are getting around soon. I hate being laid up and relying on people. I'm a little independent.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tazdev3225

If my daughters computer co-operates I will try and get this day finished.

When I last posted we were leaving the Animal Kingdom. We were taking a different exit though because we had a 5:00 ADR for a new restaurant for me.
    [​IMG]

We had a Rainforest Cafe by my house many years ago at the Mall. I had been in there quite a few times and liked the food but they were only there a couple of years. I hadn't been to the Rainforest Cafe in over 15 years.

We checked in but forgot what name I used again. Never make ADR's late at night when you are really tired. I wrote down times and confirmation numbers but not the name we used. We looked around the shop a bit and then were called in to be seated. I took a ton of pics but here are a few of the general area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The waitress had it easy with us. We both ordered Iced Tea to drink and the steak and shrimp. It came with a flat steak, coconut shrimp and shrimp scampi.
    [​IMG]

It was beyond what I expected. The steak was very tender, the shrimp - was good and had a great dipping sauce, the vegies were cooked perfectly. I was very happy with this choice. For dessert we differed. Kristel got the NY cheesecake
    [​IMG]

And I got a 7 layer chocolate cake
    [​IMG]

They were both very good but I couldn't finish mine again. That big white scoop on the side was whipped cream. I found that out when I took a big spoonfull thinking it was ice cream. It did add a dimension to the cake that was nice however.

Dinner finished we went out to explore the shop for a few minutes and Kristel found a hat she liked
    [​IMG]

We headed back to POFQ for Kristel to freshen up again and to catch a boat. We were heading to DTD and decided to take advantage of that means of transportation. We were on the boat around 8:00
    [​IMG]

We were meeting Scott and Vinny and they were in
    [​IMG]

Kristel posed again.
    [​IMG]

Then we headed inside. It was busy!!!! This is one place I hate being stuck in the scooter. You can't move when you're walking. Imagine how much fun it is trying to maneuver the scooter. Kristel told me to stay put. I didn't I got myself in a position to people watch and take some pictures.
    [​IMG]

That was my favorite pic. At that point Scott had found me and shortly after that Vinny and Kristel. We went outside and found somewhere to sit and talk. The others wanted something from Ghiardelli and I believe they all had shakes. I wasn't hungry so I skipped it. I put away the camera once we left World of Disney and we chatted away. We saw Characters in Flight was up and Scott told me that we were going on. UM NO! I have told him before that I will not go up in that. I have 2 fears birds and heights. I can deal with birds if I have to but I am not going up in that balloon. Then Scott noticed how much it was swaying. He decided he wasn't going on it either.

Before we knew it the time was 11 PM and the boats stop running at 11:30. We said our good-byes and went to our docks for the ride back to the resorts.

With that Day 3 ended.

4. Lesprivate

Lesprivate DIS Veteran

Those are the best lion photo I have ever seen :thumbsup2. The rainforest cafe looks delicious.

5. rndmr2

rndmr2 DIS Veteran

Great updates today, I had to LOL at all your bird pics especially with you being afraid of them! Awesome that you got pics of the lions in both safari rides, especially one of the Male and awake!! I never get those, if I even get to see him he is sleeping. My SIL got pics of him last year up and WALKING!! I told her she didn't know how rare that was.

I hear you about the wheelchairs and scooters and people thinking you get right to the front of the line. It may seem that way sometimes but most of the time you have to wait for the accessible car which there is only one or two of them. The last couple times I was there with my Mom she had a wheelchair and Oxygen. We thought it was great for her to have the chair but only because we didn't have to stop as much and she didn't have to worry about keeping up. I will say they are very accessible in WDW, maybe the most I have seen anywhere except in the stores, those pathways are so narrow!

Last year (May 2011) our group had TWO scooters! (My MIL and My BIL's Dad) Talk about crazy! LOL They had a competition going to see who could get on the bus quicker and without hitting anything, LOL

6. jecskc

jecskc DIS Veteran

Today was the first day in four months that I walked all day without crutches, so I am making progress. I just want my life back !!

Last trip, I rented from Apple Scooter and I was very happy with them. Going with them again this trip. We had a couple of little problems, but they were fixed right away and with a smile, so we will stick with them.

LOVED your Lion photos - beautiful !!!

7. tazdev3225

Replies are in red. It was easier that way.

8. jecskc

jecskc DIS Veteran

I loved the basket. But it was my only scooter rental, so I don't know any different. DH loved the basket, too. He was happy to not have to play sherpa with the backpack all day.

9. scottny

scottny <font color=blue>You better have crackers<br><font

great updates and pics.

The lions pic is so great. I have yet to really see them.

Dinner sounded yummy.

That balloon was crazy how it was swaying.

10. tazdev3225

I like to decorate my basket and Walker had the perfect basket for that. It's square and the design makes it easy as it is basically open. It alson seems a little bigger than the others I have seen. I fit 10 bottles of water in it when we were down in august. I always joke that I am the pack mule because everything gets loaded on me.

Thank you. I love the lions, and tigers and cheetahs. OK I just love cats big and small.

Dinner really was good and one of the reasons I wasn't in the mood for anything later that night.

It really was scary looking the way that balloon swayed. I am staying grounded.

11. tazdev3225

I know there are people out there reading along, pull up a chair and say Hi. Let me know if you want more pics, more details, less pics and details. I really feel lonely here although I will continue along.

That being said let's move on to DAY 4.

This was the one day I got up early on purpose and did not wander the resort. When Kristel spent the week visiting me over the summer we discussed the trip and she really wanted one ADR. We were 3 months from our trip and she wanted to see Stitch. Somehow the Disney tiki gods smiled on us and we got a 7:45 ADR for Ohana.

We got to the bus stop early and had to wait for a bus. Thankfully the CM that had been there all week called and had a bus sent over for us. The buses were showing up filled with the masses already and I didn't want to force my way on and over toes. We arrived at the MK monorail stop at 7:49. We were a few minutes late but we weren't too worried. We saw this coming
    [​IMG]

I knew the time based on this clock
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately the monorail then broke down and we waited. We were soon on our way. It didn't look to crowded today - yet!
    [​IMG]

We were about a half hour late by the time we were approaching the Polynesian so I told Kristel to just get off and go check us in. I knew I would need a few minutes to wait for the ramp and getting off. I quickly joined her and we decided to skip the picture.

We were called quite quickly to be taken to our seats. I opted to stay in the scooter til we got to the table as my ankle had swelled quite a bit and was really sore. I felt like offering it to the CM taking us to our seats. I know he appeared to be elderly but not in great shape if you know what I mean. I know people in their 80's with more get up and go than he had. He was very nice though. We really scored with our table. We were right next to the window and had this for a view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The waiter was there almost immediately and brought me a pot of coffee. He also brought out juice. I love that juice and this waiter was awesome. I don't think my juice glass was ever empty. The food came out quite quickly and I was happy about that as I was really hungry.

Quite quickly we were visited by
    [​IMG]

Kristel was happy
    [​IMG]

Unlike my visit in august Lilo was there right away
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Pluto came around and I did something totally out of character for me
    [​IMG]

I kissed his nose. My husband saw that and asked me what they put in my juice.
    There's no pic of Kristel and Pluto. When we were handing the camera back and forth I noticed I had an issue with my camera. Mickey came around to quickly for me to solve it
    [​IMG]

I managed to get Kristel
    [​IMG]

I was getting really upset though because it was not taking pictures but was taking movies. The camera was set to picture not movie and as I was looking at it I realized that she hit the movie record button on the back of the camera when she grabbed it. Mystery solved and I was relieved. I had 2 cameras break in DIsney in august.

We got our check after a small wait. I was a little bothered here. All of the tables around us with kids were seated after us. They all had their checks and left before us. I was just a little put off by the attitude that as 2 women with noi kids we could just sit and wait. It wasn't my imagination as the waiter apologized but said he wanted to help get the kids on their way first.
    The food was good and the juice is amazing. That said I have eaten here twice this year and had major issues with the characters or the service. I do not have plans for getting an ADR here on my next trip.

Stay tuned to find out where we go next.

12. scottny

scottny <font color=blue>You better have crackers<br><font

great update and pics.

"Ohana was a favorite of mine but not anymore. I feel the food went downhill. And it seems rushed.

That pic is out of character for you. Jim is right they did put something in your juice. LOL

13. Lesprivate

Lesprivate DIS Veteran

I love Ohana's for breakfast, the food is good and the character interaction has always been good any time we have been to Ohana's.

14. tazdev3225

I wish it had been rushed. I felt like we waited forever for the bill and even trying to get more eggs took forever.

I surprised myself with that picture. It really was totally out of character. I think they spiked my juice.

Leslie I agree the food is good. The character interaction wasn't bad but it seemed like because we were adults and no kids they were rushing that part. I wasn't happy at all with the experience in august so I think I will try somewhere new the next trip. I will miss that juice though.

15. rndmr2

rndmr2 DIS Veteran

Too bad you had issues with your service at O'Hana. It is on my list of places to try (for dinner) but it has been getting mixed reviews lately. I do think, however that the juice might be the same as the one at Boma, if you like it there, at least that's what I have heard. I want to say they have it other places, too, but I don't know for sure.

Great view from your table, though!

16. tazdev3225

I did want to try it for dinner but the reviews put me off. Then again most people dislike the Coral Reef and we have always enjoyed the food there. I think the juice is the same at Tusker House so I may have to go there again for breakfast plus I enjoyed the food. So many decisions before next December. :rotfl2:

17. tazdev3225

DAY 4 continues on

When I left you hanging I had been complaining about how slow it was getting our bill. We saw Mickey Mouse about 9:20 or so. We were done eating and had already asked for our bill. We saw this at 10:30
    [​IMG]

I get impatient. A bad character trait I know but that was an hour. We also saw
    [​IMG]

and a view of WS. It looked deserted but did it stay that way?
    [​IMG]

We were off of the monorail and headed to bag check and I got in the slowest line again. Kristel and I both said it was a waste of time as the security guard barely looked at my bag but he did search the scooter. I find the bag check to be a total annoyance but what can you do. Everyone headed to the turnstile right there so we went all the way to the far right. No line. Our plan was to head over to SE first. I got there and looked around but where was Kristel. Stitch was out but we saw him at breakfast. I headed back the way we came in to find she had been nabbed. Yep those pesky reseach people got her, and this one was s-l-o-o-o-w. SE is one of the few rides that has a separate entrance for scooters. We went in and the CM's there were great. They slowed the walkway down just a little but enought to make it easier for me and we were headed to the beginning of time. In no time we were preparing for our future
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a quick potty break and I got artsy with my pics.
    [​IMG]

Up next it was time to explore space. We did the green side because I suffer from motion sickness. Kristel was great about that because I know she prefers orange.
    [​IMG]

It was a walk-on and we were the only 2 in our capsule but we managed to complete our mission. For some reason I kept hearing I Don't Want To Miss A Thing playing in my head during the ride. We were going to Mars not looking for asteroids to blow up.

Then it was time for our real mission of the day - heading to the World Showcase. Along the way the fountain was jumping
    [​IMG]

The cranberries were in a bog
    [​IMG]

and I found a watermelon patch. I love watermelon and was quite happy to see the facts and directions on how to pick a good watermelon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Food and Wine decorations
    [​IMG]

Then I saw a really cute bear. I wanted a pic of just Duffy. People kept getting in my way so I got in line. Of course just as I got close, there were only 2 families ahead of me to start with, Duffy needed a break. We waited and I got a really good shot as he came back
    [​IMG]

I was happy and tried to leave. The photopass photographer got a liitle "snippy" with me telling me that was where she stood and I had to move to another spot as I tried to pass her. I told her if she would get out of my way I would as I was trying to leave and I can't move if she stands right in front of me. She moved.

I was really a little moody that day for some reason.

I will stop here and leave you guessing about what we did next and did my mood get better.

18. tazdev3225

Since nobody decided to take a guess I will keep going and let you know where we went next. And possibly finish the day. I babysit my grandkids on Friday so this is how I pass the time. Reading TR's or writing my own.

Anyway we were leaving Duffy and heading towards the WS but where to go first? To eat around the world seemed like a good start so the first stop was the Caribbean
    [​IMG]

I got the Ropa Vieja with Cilantro Rice. I know I took a picture but I didn't add that to my photobucket. If I find it at home I'll post it. Anyway I found this to be good but just a little to spicy for me and I like spicy. The rice wasn't over powered with cilantro which was nice as I'm not a huge fan. I give this a :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Our next stop was
    [​IMG]

I had Shrimp on the Barbie with Pepper Berry Glaze
    [​IMG]

I loved this last year but this year it was just way too salty and I salt food before I taste it. If you could get past that it was good and the glaze was very nice. Again just :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Our next stop was Mexico. No pic of the menu. I know I got the Natilla de Cajeta or caramel custard
    [​IMG]

This was just awful. I threw it out after one or two spoons full. :thumbsup2

Since we were in Mexico we decided to go inside the pavilion. I like the ride so on we went. I never noticed how big a big step that is getting in and out of the boat.
    A couple of pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw these really cute carvings. I used to collect owls
    [​IMG]

Then we started to leave. I don't know what I was doing but I completely missed the ramp to exit and wound up behind it trying to exit through a wall. Kristel thought I was crazy but I said I was checking out the fountain. Yeah right! She posed so I didn't look like a complete moron
    [​IMG]

As we moved on I saw
    [​IMG]

My husband loves Donald.

Next up was Norway. We both like Maelstrom and there wasn't much of a wait, so on we went
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Kristel made me put on a Viking hat. I do not like to appear silly but I put it on.
    [​IMG]

She enjoys the hats
    [​IMG]

Then I had her slay a troll
    [​IMG]

As we were leaving I got a shot of the wait time
    [​IMG]

Only 10 minutes. That really wasn't bad. Kristel had been texting Scott so we knew that they had arrived and were headed back our way so we waited. I took a few pics but liked this one
    [​IMG]

What did we do next? Stay tuned.

19. melissac

melissac DIS Veteran

We love "Devine" at AK but the last few trips we haven't been in the parks the same days or times she is. Actually, my husband loves "Devine" and outfit and flexability:)

20. tazdev3225

She is a favorite of mine. The first time I saw her I think I took over 100 pics of just her. I wish I had a tenth of the flexibility she has. Arthritis has taken it's toll on my body.

21. Lesprivate

Lesprivate DIS Veteran

I will not ride Mission Space on either of the sides, just afraid it might make me sick. I had the Ropa Vieja and am remembering that it was delicious but don't remember if it was too spicy.

That viking hat becomes you :rotfl2: