Friend said CR treated them terribly as they were SOG

I do not remember the room number, but I should have mentioned that the ceiling in our bathroom had a constant leak.

I think this is a new level of service at the Contemporary. We had long looked forward to staying at the Contemporary and did so just a couple of weeks ago. We had a horrible stay with rude CM's and major billing problems! It got so bad that we left early. We will never stay at the Contemporary again. POR is a whole lot cheaper and the CM's are a whole lot more friendly. :p

We were at the CR via SOG for a couple of nights mid-July. We had 2 adjoining rooms and both were wonderful. They were large, clean and very attractive( We had a nice view of the lake) We spent most of our time in the park , but all the CM's we encountered were very friendly and helpful. I didn't sense any negative attitude what so ever . Hope your stay is as nice as ours was, we would definitely go back.

Interesting. I have stayed at the Contemporary (tower room, no concierge) multiple times and have had nothing but good experiences. In fact, the staff there went out of their way to be helpful to us on our last visit. I hope the place is not going downhill. The CR is the only resort we loved as much as the CBR. Come to think of it, we have had nothing but good experiences at the CBR, but lots of people complain about the service there too. Perhaps it is because we always travel in the off seasons.

I try to only comment on issues i have knowlege about but this makes me very upset. SOG guests pay a considerable amount for their room. Comparabably military might be paying only a little less than rack rates. The " great rates" are given to even out the wages made by personnel according to their rank. I know you all know this---I'm just venting. I'm not military nor have I ever been militray. I only know these are the same people who can be called up on a monents notice to go to God only knows where--in weather God only knows to do a job protecting us all so we can go to WDW pay a " code or AP rate" and be treated better. I'm missing something here. That family needs more than $25. Someone behind the desk needs their behind kicked. ( Sorry) but as you can see I'm a little animated. Hopefully someone with inside connections can get this matter resolved to the satisfaction of the general public---That's people like you and me----I know I wouldn't stand for that kind of treatment even if the room would have been free or better yet even if they'd have paid me to stay there. As a final note --Let me say to the SOG guests---Thanks for being there and sorry WDW let you down for I'm sure you'd never let them down.

PattyN

For years I have found that the CMs at the Contemporary Resort have a little more attitude than anywhere else on property. Something as simple as changing a $20 bill was a great task for one desk CM. The only exception to this would be the California Grill where I find the staff to be on top of things.

Originally posted by dalepool
I try to only comment on issues i have knowlege about but this makes me very upset. SOG guests pay a considerable amount for their room. Comparabably military might be paying only a little less than rack rates. The " great rates" are given to even out the wages made by personnel according to their rank. I know you all know this---I'm just venting. I'm not military nor have I ever been militray. <snip>
PattyN

I'm sorry, but your info is a bit off so, I thought, as someone who worked as an SoG reservations agent for 3yrs, I'd clarify for you.

The SoG guests do NOT pay a considerable amount for their room (not the deluxes, any way). Due to SoG being closed for the expansion, Disney provided SoG with 300 rooms in the North Wing (more rooms than SoG had available to guests in their own hotel). Those rooms are still at the same cheap rate they would have paid at SoG, according to their pay grade ($66,89,95,99) + tax. Our Cat 1 guests are paying $73.26 to stay in the North Wing. That rate is no where near the $200 rack rate (including tax).

Through the Overflow program, I have seen the CR wing rooms about $129 (not including tax). $143.19 is still not near rack rate (I believe rack rate for a wing is $179, which comes out to $198.69, with tax).

As someone who was in the military for 10 yrs and stayed at SoG as a guest and through their overflow and as a former resv agent for SoG, I wanted to let you know your info was off a bit as far as what the personnel are paying.

Rates, at Disney, have been much lower in the past year, directly through Disney, due to Sep 11. Before, guests occassionally, could get cheaper rates going directly through Disney using a variety of codes. Now, due to the better deals Disney is offering because travel still isn't what it had been pre 9/11, I'd say guests truly need to do their homework because 50% of the time, you can probably do better, or no worse, on your own than through SoG.

The only time SoG guests pay close to rack rate, besides having the 2 disounted rates all ready sold out because the guest waited until the last minute, would be through the cheap AS resorts (where the discount is usually only about $15). Moderate resorts are discounted about $50/nt.

If you have any questions you would like to ask about the rates for those defending our country, I'd be happy to try and answer them for you. :)

Just to be fair, I think what Patty was trying to say is that income wise what the military pays for rooms at SOG or with overflow is still quite a bit of money to some considering the wages that we pay our military personnel. My husband who is retired military brings home just a little over $900 a month meaning he was making $23000 a year after 20 years as a computer technician responsible for nuclear safety, etc. No self respecting civilian with that much experience and responsibility would be settling for $23000 a year and he wouldn't have to. If that was all we had that $89 we would be paying would be gold

I know when I was in we didn't make a whole lot of money compared to jobs on the "outside" I'm sure that hasn't changed much in the last few years. That $73 an E1 thru E5 pays on his or her salary may just be comparable to someone doing the same job possibly paying rack rates.

That being said there is no excuse for anyone to be treated the way some of these people are describing. It doesn't matter what you are paying for your room, you are at that hotel and everyone should be treated as if they are paying the "rack" rate.

And ceilings falling down whether some one was injured or not is a safety issue and that definitely needs to be dealt with.

Thank You Tammy, you stated exactly what I was trying to say. I guess I might need to take a class on communications. LOL. (You and Joe are just the sweetest!!!!!!! )

RE: FirstNo---I thank you for taking time to "set me straight" God only knows people have been trying to do that for years.....This is meant to be funny---not posts please. I do believe Tammy got down to the bear bones of my issue. But thanks again aways nice to have an expert on board.

PS I have a nephew Honeymooning at the Hale Koa in Hawaii this weekend --( I'm off to the wedding--now) He is staying at a beautiful resort paying "rank"--rates.

PattyN

After reading this thread, I changed my reservation at CR (CKO rate of $179) to the BC...and a substantially more expensive rate. I will say - I told the CM exactly why I was switching my reservation, and I invited her to speak with her supervisor about it.

After the events of the past year (in fact, REGARDLESS of them), I am fuming that SoG guests are not being treated with the utmost respect. It is inexcusable to treat the members of our armed forces with disdain or as charity cases. I don't care HOW much you are paying to stay at a resort - you are PAYING, and that should be enough for the resort to treat you as an honored guest.

Boy, am I ever angry!! I love WDW, but sometimes Disney really gets my goat.

I have read just as many positive posts from SOG CR guests:D ! What we will do is check into our room and give it a once over inspection(we do this anywhere we stay). If something is really wrong we will ask to be moved to another room. $95 a night at the CR is too good to pass up over a few unfortunate incidents. I wonder if all these bad rooms are in the same area? We have had Good/Bad CM's at all the resorts we have stayed at. Just luck of the draw;) !

Uh-oh, I'm worried. We have three rooms booked at the CR with the SoG deal; I really hope these CM problems AND the deteriorating rooms are an isolated incident. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge before- we have no problem paying the regular room rates, but hey, who can pass up the military rate? Plus, this way we are going for 9 nights instead of the 5 we were able to afford on our last trip. I'm really sorry this happened to your friend- no one deserves to be treated like that!

I think it is a little easier for me to get on my resort high horse, as we are not military - we are just using the fall rate codes, so we are not getting unbelievable rates. Honestly, I think if I was paying under $100 for the CR, I would give it a shot (though I do not think this gives them the right to put SoG guests in a room that is in disrepair - why would they keep putting people in rooms with soaked ceilings/tile?? There have been SEVERAL posts that describe this!!). However, I can't fathom the thought of paying $200 (with tax) a night after these posts - I'll just shell out a little more and move to a different hotel. I am sure that there are some people who have fantastic rooms and are treated fine by the CR CMs. It is just that it should be EVERYONE!!!

I hate to say it, but you can find these kinds of threads on each and every resort; the good, the bad and the ugly. Different people staying in different rooms at the same resort and completely different experiences. Same people in the same resort at different times and different experiences(even Tikiman had a bad Poly experience), I have seen some of these conflicting GF concierge threads lately. Now if there are many rooms at CR that have collapsing ceilings they should take care of that ASAP, a true hazard. If it is just a couple, maybe they can close them up until further repair. Maybe someone can share the room numbers so we can avoid those!:smooth:

I'm really sorry to hear that anyone, especially our military people, have problems like this when staying at a resort. Hope everyting works our and gets better there.

I'm no real big fan of SOG. Stayed there in 1999 and had problems of our own. Almost thought I was in the Twilight Zone. But that's something else.

I find the Hale Koa to be a very different resort from SOG. Anyone ever get teh chance to stay at the Hale Koa please do so. IMHO - it is the best deal in Hawaii by far. Top notch place.

Originally posted by BibbidiBobbidiBoo
I have read just as many positive posts from SOG CR guests:D ! What we will do is check into our room and give it a once over inspection(we do this anywhere we stay). If something is really wrong we will ask to be moved to another room. $95 a night at the CR is too good to pass up over a few unfortunate incidents. I wonder if all these bad rooms are in the same area? We have had Good/Bad CM's at all the resorts we have stayed at. Just luck of the draw;) !

I hope you have a great stay and will report the results/findings here when you return. I just made reservations for next Jun and have to admit that some of what I've read hear has me reconsidering. My husband's brother and his family are going with us and it will be their first trip to WDW and I'd like it to be great :) Our family stayed at SOG on our first visit (Dec 99) and absolutely loved it and if we could wait for them to reopen we would, but my oldest will be starting college by then so we have to go before he leaves for school.

Would all of you DIS'ers out there who have had a good CR/SOG experience please post it? We're going in 8 weeks and our spirits need a lift after reading this thread. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by dalepool
Thank You Tammy, you stated exactly what I was trying to say. I guess I might need to take a class on communications. LOL. (You and Joe are just the sweetest!!!!!!! )

RE: FirstNo---I thank you for taking time to "set me straight" God only knows people have been trying to do that for years.....This is meant to be funny---not posts please. I do believe Tammy got down to the bear bones of my issue. But thanks again aways nice to have an expert on board.

PS I have a nephew Honeymooning at the Hale Koa in Hawaii this weekend --( I'm off to the wedding--now) He is staying at a beautiful resort paying "rank"--rates.

PattyN

You're very welcome!! And thank you to Tammy for clarifying what you were writing.

When I was a guest at SoG, it definitely wasn't "Disney." However, I've had many guests over the years (as an employee) tell me that they've stayed with Disney and they much more preferred the 'welcome home' atmosphere they feel they received at SoG. I never felt that. I would have preferred to have stayed at Disney, but the rates at SoG for being Cat 1 were just too good to pass up. And, since I spent a lot of time at the MK, it was convenient, too.

I've heard wonderful things at about the Hale Koa, but don't think I'll ever get there (I was affected by the 'stop/loss program' and am still in the reserves until the gov't lets me out). I don't have much desire to go to Hawaii, but I don't believe I've ever heard one complaint about the place.

And, as I've mentioned before, if you (SoG guest) have a problem while checking in/out or during your stay and it's between the hours of 7am-10pm, a supervisor from SoG is in the office (room) next to the SoG ticket office. Please go there and speak with this person, in person. While writing a letter after the fact is ok, taking care of the situation as it's happening or right after is better. Disney, from my experience, is not the easiest company to deal with. It depends on who you get. Some of them would bend over backwards for me and give me just about any thing I wanted for my guests. A few others wouldn't give me the time of day. The same thing can happen at THEIR hotel. Even though the SoG person may sympathize with you and feel terribly, depending on which CM they speak with, they may not be able to do much for you, either.

I think all of those people who have been mistreated, one way or the other, should write a letter to the pres. of DW; Al Weiss (we share the same eye dr...how's that for a small world?). Start letting this man know that his CMs aren't showing the proper respect and dignity to those serving their country. Get enough complaints and some heads may start to roll.....Stranger things have happened. :)

We stayed at CR a few years back. We paid full Conciege room price, I believe it was around $350 a night, for our room in the tower facing the MK. The room was large but nothing special at all. I can only say no one treated us like conciege guest. The biggest perks were free cookies for the kids, free drinks and a special room key to get to our floor. I personally would never stay there again no matter what the price of the room is. It is just not our style and there are so many better choices at WDW in my opinion. They need big time changes with their staff and decor.

RobinLyn

MLAinVA....

Our experience at CR was excellent. We had 11 people in 4 rooms. There was not one single housekeeping or maintenance issue in any of the rooms. You are going to find bad posts about each and every Disney resort hotel. Don't go into CR with the attitude that you are just waiting for something bad to happen, because, under those conditions you probably will find something to complain about.

From the front desk CM's to the housekeepers to the CM's at the pool, we couldn't have been treated better.

The deal to stay at CR through SOG is a once in a lifetime deal to stay at a deluxe for value resort prices, enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter