fridge died, lost all food in fridge and freezer :( help me buy a new one!!

paysensmom

DIS Veteran
We need to purchase a new fridge. Where can I find a great deal? II want a side by side w/ ice maker and water. 25 cu or larger.
Please help me :)

my local home depot and lowes offer 10% off of all of these major appliances. it went up to 15% for two days only memorial day weekend (3 days before my move) so i bought one then. they may do the same for the 4th of July weekend but it sounds like buying a new one is urgent. the prices were good to begin with and this made it lower in price than other places because they were also offering free delivery and i only had to pay 3.5% tax due to the zone they are in. the big plus was that lowes offered next day delivery. i shopped around online and it seemed like sears and best buy had deals, but then found i had to wait up to 14 days for delivery and pay for it, which meant for the type i was trying to buy it was the same price as lowes/home depot.

I don't have any buying suggestions (we've never had to buy a fridge) however I do have an odd/offbeat thought.

Recently when talking to my homeowners insurnace company I found out we had insurance that would cover the cost of food lost in a situation like yours. It might be worth a call to your insurance company to just find out if the food was covered (ours was up to $500 which is a chunk of change !)

Good luck!

Have you ever had a side-by-side before? I don't know anyone who likes theirs . . .

My $.02.....I highly dislike my current side by side. I can't fit enough in the freezer becuase the width is limited. I am looking to get a french door/bottom freezer..friends and family have these with great success..

Call your Homeowners Insurance Company! We just had a sewage back up so I read the entire 83 page policy...if our fridge dies or we have a power failure, we are covered for up to $500 in food loss...you could put that towards the purchase of a new fridge!

Also, I don't know where you live, but our local electric company offers rebates for purchasing new energy star appliances, $50 cash back for the initial purchase and another $50 for giving them our old clunker. Worth it to check it out.

Good luck!
PS--Lowes has a Frigidaire 25 or 27 cubic feet SS french door/bottom freezer on sale this week for $989. That's a good deal in my book! I think it's originally $1399 or 1499

Hate my side by side. The only reason we got it when we remodeled was because dh was set on having the ice and water on the outside of the door. Well half of the time one or the other of them isn't working anyway, and because both the fridge side and the freezer side are both so narrow, it is terrible for storage. Can't store anything large in it. I wouldn't buy another. My next fridge will be either a traditional fridge on top, freezer on the bottom, or french door fridge with freezer on the bottom if I can afford it.

Also, I would recommend staying away from GE...we have had nothing but issues.

Good luck!

Our fridge died a few weeks ago, and I discovered it was a $20 part that I was able to find locally. Replaced and fridge has been working fine since.

My sisTer moved earlier this year and got some new appliances at a sears outlet for significantly reduced prices. I think they were scratch and dent kind of deals, but she said a lot of the issues were really minor or they might be in a spot that wouldn't really show depending on where y ou were going to put it. They even gave her a new drye when the one she bought didn't work right!

I see on th e sears outlet website there is one in San antonio too and the site says 40 to 50% off refrigerators.

I have a 2yr old side by side Frigidaire. Had to pay a repairman once to fix it already. (I don't remember what is was, something with the cooling)
Also, not enough room in the freezer, everytime I try to find something in there, something frozen falls on my foot!
Also, a lot of the bin or racks and shelf have broken already, and I am looking for replacement parts. Make sure your bins are not cheap plastic!
I would go with a bottom freezer next time.
My last fridge was an amana and it lasted forever.

Can't help with any suggestions, but I do like my side by side. It's a Whirlpool that we have had for 9 years, and had no problems with it.

Try looking for "scratch and dents". They often only have small scratches on the side where you would not see it. Could save you a bundle. Be sure to call your insurance company. :goodvibes

I've had my Kenmore side by side for MANY years, love it,but it's coming close to needing to be replaced. At one point the ice maker stopped working...I got on-line and looked up tips to fix the problem. It worked! I emptied the freezer and used a blow dryer, aimed at the ice make mechinism, that was 2 years ago - it's till going srong...my DH was amazed because he was all for buying a new fridge at that time.

I called my insurance company and they said I should have $500 direct deposited into our account in 2-3 business days!! YAHOO!!
:cool1::banana::woohoo::cloud9:

Glad your insurance helped out with food! We got our fridge a year and a half ago and got a side by side... I don't have many issues with it. The freezer is kind of small... but that's why I want a deep freezer. :-) An x-large pizza box doesn't into the fridge either. We really wanted a french door fridge with pull out freezer but couldn't afford it at the time. (We were moving from a house we owned into a rental house in another state... and were having to pay mortgage and rent for a few months... and the rental house didn't have a fridge.) We also had in mind (at the time) that we'd be buying a house in a year or so and if the fridge was older, we could put it in the garage for our extra freezer space... or if it was nicer, then we'd use our new fridge in the garage. Guess what? When we bought our house... we fell in love with and there was no fridge... so... now we just don't have a spare freezer like we'd hoped. It's on our Christmas wishlist though! I need to know I can stock up when I see whole chickens for 59 cents a pound!

Recently when talking to my homeowners insurnace company I found out we had insurance that would cover the cost of food lost in a situation like yours. It might be worth a call to your insurance company to just find out if the food was covered (ours was up to $500 which is a chunk of change !)

Good luck!

Just heard of Clark Howard this morning you should NOT use it for small claims like this... :confused3

My sisTer moved earlier this year and got some new appliances at a sears outlet for significantly reduced prices. I think they were scratch and dent kind of deals, but she said a lot of the issues were really minor or they might be in a spot that wouldn't really show depending on where y ou were going to put it. They even gave her a new drye when the one she bought didn't work right!

I see on th e sears outlet website there is one in San antonio too and the site says 40 to 50% off refrigerators.

They have the Sears Outlet in Canada too. It is absolutely worth checking out. They had outstanding deals on appliances, and things like lawn mowers etc. Mostly it was ones that had been display models. But I can confirm that here, it was 40 to 50 percent off some very nice appliances. Might be worth a look:)

If water leaks out of a refrigerator that is not a sign that the mechanism is failing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter