Freecyclers -- what's your favorite freebie???

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Mom2Ben02, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Mom2Ben02

Mom2Ben02 <font color=red>Our little souvenir from WDW was b

I am a freecycle addict! I love giving things to people instead of throwing them away, or even giving them to Goodwill. I love GETTING things I need for free, as well!!

My all-time favorite freebie is a double electric breast pump!! I just have to buy new tubing and I am all set for our new little one in June. Today, my 5 year old and I went to pick up some raspberry plants from someone looking to thin out her yard. I got 2 huge plants - way nicer than I could have bought in a store - and ended up leaving with strawberries and TONS of perennial flowers, too! Fantastic, as hubby is out of work and these kind of "extras" would NOT be happening this year!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

Our patio furniture!

4. sbpebbles

sbpebbles DIS Veteran

i LOVE freecycle as well, I've gotten many great things over the years..I think my mom's fav would be the plants...the best thing i found was a convertible crib in EXCELLENT condition for my son and lots of clothes for my daughter..I can't stand giving to resale shops, especially after i seen a chair i donated being smashed to pieces--never again--only will use freecycle :goodvibes

5. extremesoccermom

extremesoccermom DIS Veteran

My computer desk and some waffle blocks (which are no longer available) to expand the one set I had for the kids. They all love these.

6. lovetoscrap

lovetoscrap Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there. Moderator

3 flat panel Computer Monitors and even better several huge flat panel TV's!!! :woohoo:

DH is a fix it kind of guy and the newer huge TV's are so expensive to get fixed that many prefer to just go buy the latest and greatest. And what may cost $300 or more to have someone fix he can usually get the parts for less than $100 and fix it in his free time-- and have fun doing it. I have a wonderful one in my living room, he gave one to a co-worker who's wife had just cleaned him out in a divorce and last week we gave one to a friend that has done some huge favors for us and has really helped us in some emergencies.

Any time someone offers one of these I am usually the only one to request it. We will also sometimes get some other broken electronics for him to play with and fix if he can. Right now he has a Travel DVD Player that I am hoping he can fix so each of my girls can have one. Right now we only have one.

7. surfergirl602

surfergirl602 <font color=deeppink>Well you're one step ahead of

Our freecycle pretty much stinks. :( There are hardly any posts considering the size of our city, and I haven't had much luck with it at all.

8. Justsyd2

Justsyd2 I snorted Coca-Cola out of my nose when he said th

A like new $200 hot and cold bottled water dispenser
    A George Foreman Grill
    A Bread Machine
    A Toaster Oven
    A Quesadilla Maker
    A Crock Pot with a warming feature

9. momofboyz

momofboyz Mouseketeer

I have gotten alot of baby stuff, like exersaucer, walker, bumbo seat, and lots of clothes for my youngest, which I in return freecycled back when he outgrew all of it.

And I had posted about needing a trumpet case for a trumpet that I bought on ebay, and someone gave me a really nice trumpet for DS#1.

10. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

Do you live around me? We have a nice plasma he could have if he can fix it!

11. Carl Fredricksen

Carl Fredricksen Ah, ha ha ha! So long, boys! I'll send you a postc

2nd that here as well. Never much good, and I have responded to a few within 15 minutes and been told the item is already taken.

12. lovetoscrap

lovetoscrap Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there. Moderator

Nope. I used to live near Hoosierland though. :)

It is that way with ours too. Most of the stuff you have to respond as soon as it hits your email and even then someone else may have checked a minute sooner.

Ours here is pretty good-- lots of childrens clothes and toys We are in a military area so there is a lot of people leaving and downsizing if they are going overseas so we get a lot of beds offered and wanted, furniture and kitchen items. I don't know how many people belong to the group but I see the same names over an over. I have gotten things from them, they have gotten things from me.

I met a lady on there with a daughter a few years younger than mine and she took a bunch of clothes I cleaned out a few years ago. Now everytime I clean DD's wardrobe out of what she has outgrown I just email her and she comes and gets it.

13. meanser

meanser Mouseketeer

My favorite thing a gave away was a HUGE aloe plant. I hated it, it got way too big but I couldn't bear to just throw it away! My DH thought I was crazy, but I had 4 offers within 15 minutes!

14. LisaInNc

LisaInNc Succulent Wild Woman

Yesterday I got a wet suit.

It's the first thing I ever got...I am never quick enough.

It's awesome for getting rid of things. I post it and usually someone responds right away. I have given a range of things from a Vera Bradly bag to a bag of hangers.

We are movng soon and I am destashing and getting rid of a lot of stuff!

Lisa

15. andrews_dad

andrews_dad DIS Veteran

How does this work? Never heard of it.

16. TinkLovinMomma

TinkLovinMomma Mouseketeer

5 perfect condition g-diapers with the liners! I told my DH that we would be able to cloth diaper our next baby for waaay less than we would pay for disposables and this totally helped my case! And she is going to email me when her baby grows out of the next size as well! :cool1:

17. amandaraye

amandaraye Mouseketeer

My favorites are:
    a large Little Tykes playscape:thumbsup2
    a laptop:surfweb:
    a Ford Bronco:cool1:
    a gossip bench :chat:
    a captain's bed

18. katlas&kids

katlas&kids <font color=peach>Sometimes I have to work hard to

Got to www.freecyle.org. Find your State, City and then sign in. they are run through Yahoo groups so you have to have a login with Yahoo.

Have tons of fun with it!

19. Ephany

Ephany DIS Veteran

Nothing, although I've given away tons of good stuff. We freecycled a sectional when we moved, there was nothing wrong with it, it was just waaay too big for our tiny new living room. The people who picked it up were so nice, overall it's been a really good experience. It's a great way to get stuff reused that can't be used in your home anymore.

When we moved here, I applied to join the local group and the moderator said I sounded greedy even though we'd never taken anything and my old moderator vouched for me. :confused3 Needless to say a ton of stuff has gone to Goodwill as we downsize and when I move home for summer break next month, I'm rejoining my old group. This one here is too :snooty:

20. kacaju

kacaju DIS Veteran

I was just going to ask if you thought it was Ok to list a broken flat screen. My dh is the opposite of yours. Our 50 inch stopped working on Friday and Saturday evening we bought a new one.
    We are in NJ, where are you??

21. vicki_c

vicki_c DIS Veteran

That is the craziest and one of the rudest things I ever heard!

I've never used Freecycle but might check it out -- but jeez, they make it sound like a sorority or the Junior League - didn't know you had to be "approved"! That's pretty ridiculous, isn't it?