free tickets to Kennedy Space Center

I am giving it a try for my parents! They are driving us to Port Canaveral for our cruise and are planning on going to Kennedy after dropping us off. It would be wonderful if I can get them in for free since they are taking us to and from the port!

I will let you know if our Congressman comes though!

I'm from Missouri and did this. They contacted me by phone and texting. The man who helped me was very nice and answered me quickly each time. He got us tour tickets and is working on launch causeway tickets!

I wrote to our Congressman last week after reading about this perk on the boards. Haven't heard anything one way or the other, but I'll keep you posted. I figure if we can get free tickets for Kennedy then we'll have a bot mre $$ to spend on an excersion on the cruise- thinking parasailing!

I got my response today! Says we need to give them the date we want to go. I am ok with that, woo hoo! Here it the response:

NASA does offer constituents complimentary passes to visit the Kennedy Space Center (up to 4 people) through their Members offices. Please submit the following up to six months in advance of requested tour date.

Contact name for reservation
Address
# of adults
# of children (ages 3-11)
Date of tour

Confirmation will be faxed to our office once processed.

**NASA has reached its monthly allocation and is no longer accepting requests for March, April, and June**

Thank you

I emailed my parent's congressman yesterday, I just heard back. We are too early (need tix for Feb 2011), but she said to contact her again in Aug and she will put in for the tickets.

Thanks for the head's up on this! My Mom was psyched when I told her!

I heard back from my congressman's office here in Massachusetts yesterday and was advised that they can only get the tickets 6 months in advance. We're cruising end of April next year so we were advised to respond back to the email in September and they would start working on it.

SWEET! Heard back from my congressman. We can't get them for April (spring break) but we CAN get them for when we go back in September! Happy Happy Happy! :banana:

I just emailed my local congressmen for tickets in October. I'll post any responses I get back.

Thanks OP for this tip. I too have a day to fill between our cruise and our flight home so this will be perfect.

Just heard back from Sen. Warner's office. I have 4 complimentary tickets to KSC for our upcoming July trip. Thanks OP for letting me know about this program. You save me $165!!!!

I just heard back from my Congressman (I'm in PA). He said they could help me get tickets to a launch, but not free admission tickets. Oh well - guess we'll have to start collecting OJ points!

First the good news. . . my Congressman just emailed me again, with a confirmation for 4 free tickets!

Now my problem . . . When he originally emailed last month and said he couldn't get any tickets for me, I collected Tropicana points for the buy one get one free all day experience and booked that experience. In addition to the general admission, IMAX, etc, it includes lunch with an astronaut, the Discover KSC bus tour and two $20 coupons to spend at the retail shop. The cost to me for my family of 4 is $149. Now I need to decide whether to just stick with the basic admission (which is totally free) or use the coupons for the day experience. My kids are bound to spend at least $40 in the gift shop, so the real extra cost is probably more like $109.

Has anyone done the lunch or Discovery KSC bus tour? Is it worth spending the extra money? (We're not on a real tight budget, so I'd be willing to do it if it is fun/interesting.) If it matters, my DDs are 8 and 10 and both are interested in the space program but not fanatical about it.

Does anyone have any ideas how Canadians could cash in on free tickets somehow? That would really help a lot! But I don't know who to ask. I did email the Canadian Space Agency the other day but haven't heard back.

I just got my confirmation email :cool1:

Thank you so much, OP!

We did have to pick a specific date, which we did for August. They have us general admission tickets 2 adults, 2 kids, plus a bus tour, both IMAX movies and a visit to the astronaut hall of fame. Our tix are good for 2 days.

I am so excited! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the tip. I hope this is still an active program when we go to Nov 2011!

I mentioned this thread to my DH last night and was also hoping to get a few for Oct of 2011. But, he thought he heard somewhere that KSC may not exist as we know it next year. Something about the space program being "on hold"???? Perhaps that only affects the launches though? :confused3

I hope he's wrong. ;)

Wow, I had no clue about this! We were talking about taking the boys there for the first time after our June trip. This would make it a for sure thing if we could get free tickets! I just emailed a letter off to Congressman Peters! Will let you know if I have any success! :thumbsup2

I mentioned this thread to my DH last night and was also hoping to get a few for Oct of 2011. But, he thought he heard somewhere that KSC may not exist as we know it next year. Something about the space program being "on hold"???? Perhaps that only affects the launches though? :confused3

I hope he's wrong. ;)

^^^ Your husband is right. Many people are not happy with Obama's call on this one, including Neil Armstrong. Read on:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126775979&ps=cprs

AND

http://www.universetoday.com/2010/01/15/end-of-shuttle-program-will-slow-floridas-economy/

Many people have failed to realize how important space exploration has been to the advancement of technologies.

First the good news. . . my Congressman just emailed me again, with a confirmation for 4 free tickets!

Now my problem . . . When he originally emailed last month and said he couldn't get any tickets for me, I collected Tropicana points for the buy one get one free all day experience and booked that experience. In addition to the general admission, IMAX, etc, it includes lunch with an astronaut, the Discover KSC bus tour and two $20 coupons to spend at the retail shop. The cost to me for my family of 4 is $149. Now I need to decide whether to just stick with the basic admission (which is totally free) or use the coupons for the day experience. My kids are bound to spend at least $40 in the gift shop, so the real extra cost is probably more like $109.

Has anyone done the lunch or Discovery KSC bus tour? Is it worth spending the extra money? (We're not on a real tight budget, so I'd be willing to do it if it is fun/interesting.) If it matters, my DDs are 8 and 10 and both are interested in the space program but not fanatical about it.

Due to time constraints, we did the lunch with an astronaut in 2006 with our three GK's who really enjoyed asking the astronaut Tom Jones many questions. The GK's were 12, 9 and 6. He was very patient, a good speaker and my GK's really loved the experience. Lunch was ok not spectacular and we bought his autographed book, Sky Walking, An Astronaut's Memoir. I would do it again if it were an interesting astronaut. You can always check on the Kennedy Space Center to see who is scheduled during the time you plan to visit. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/visit/index.html

Here is his website to get an idea of about Tom Jones.http://home.comcast.net/~skywalking/biography.htm

I sent this email

I was told that I could contact you in regards to free tickets to Kennedy Space Center at Port Canaveral, FL. My daughter which is 8, mother, my daughter's other grandmother and I are going down there September 25-30 for a cruise for my daughter's 9th birthday and thought this would be an excellent learning experience fro my daughter. She is home schooled so any opportunity I can find to further her education in a fun atmosphere, I am very interested in.

Thank you so much for your time in this matter and for what you are doing for out state. I know dealing with the current flooding situation here in Nashville is a very stressful task. Thanks to the good Lord above, we were not affected in an way.

Sincerely,

Jen Coss

This is the reply I got from his office (not him)

Jen,

Thank you for your recent email about shuttle launch tickets. If you could please let me know the launch and how many tickets you are requesting I am happy to place the request. There is a limit of 5 tickets per request.

NASA gives out tickets in first come, first serve order and does not notify us until one month prior to the launch. If tickets are granted you will hear from me and then they will mail you a packet. I have your address and will give this to our NASA liaison.

Once I get all of the information from you and submit the request I will also be able to notify you if there are currently no tickets and you are waitlisted.

Thank you and look forward to working with you.

Sincerely--

Allison

Allison Bates

DC Scheduler

Office of Rep. Jim Cooper (TN-05)

1536 Longworth House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

p. (202) 225-4311

f. (202) 226-1035

Huh? :scratchin Why would she think I wanted to see a launch (exept for the fact that they HAVE public viewing for launches)?

I just received an email from our representative (western PA) that includes a confirmation fax for our free tickets to KSC in October 2010. I was there when I was a kid and I can't wait to take mine. Not too sure how much the youngest will appreciate it but he will love to see the rockets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter