Free or cheap things to do in Key West

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Lunchlady, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Lunchlady

Lunchlady Mouseketeer

We are going to Key West for our 20th anniversary in April and would like to know some of your favorite things to do in Key West without breaking the bank. We went for a day trip during our last Disney trip but quickly found out we want to see so much more! Thanks!

2. adisneyaunt

adisneyaunt LTD

Well I would NOt suggest the (bus ) ghost tour that's for sure. We enjoyed the Island tour... great info with on/off privileges, Hemingway house ( did alone if either of u has allergies, avoid ..cat hair n dusty!! I'd skip butterfly museum. We enjoyed beach at (at/near) southernmost hotel grounds greatly.
    It gets lively in the evening and simply walking, grabbing a libation... or two lol and watching sunset, the "acts" in Mallory was fun.
    And on the way down there...( forgot key, simple Google will help.. literally on the way down there via car) did you know you can visit ( and take a ride if u want) on the
    Original African Queen!
    Yup, restored and my dh loved it!! Cool to see even if u don't take a ride, $$

Enjoy and Happy Anniversary in advance!

Lunchlady likes this.
  3. jsmla

jsmla DIS Veteran

We love Key West!

There are some great food specials during happy hour. Our favorites are The Boathouse and Alonzo's Oyster Bar. I believe both are attached to fairly nice restaurants and the 1/2 price appetizers on the happy hour specials are very yum.

We rented bikes for a day and rode out to Fort Zachary Taylor and the Florida Keys Eco-Discovery Center. There is also a small, pretty beach there's although it is a tad rocky.

Sunset at Mallory Square is fun and free except for tips for the buskers.

We had a car so packed a picnic lunch and drove to Bahia Honda State Park. This park has a natural beach and we had it almost to ourselves the day we visited :-)

Lunchlady likes this.
  4. Avatar

Advertisement

5. usnuzuloose

usnuzuloose Loosing Boo Boo

The Island is not that big, but when dh and I were there we had a car and just drove around enjoying different things. I loved walking around town and looking for different types of shops. I will say I had a few different issues that were quite funny. I got bit by a bird, which did not bother me. Then I went into another shop and I wont say what happened but not nice to say in a family place. But I can't wait to go back and visit it some more. So if you like shopping they have nice stores and plenty to eat.

Lunchlady likes this.
  6. misskitkat

misskitkat Earning My Ears

We've been to Key West a few times over the years. On our last trip we stopped at the Chamber of Commerce and picked up a guide to the Pelican Path. It is a self guided walking tour of old Key West. We loved learning about the history and seeing some of the older building. It also got us away from the crowds.

Lunchlady likes this.
  7. mrp4352

mrp4352 DIS Veteran

I used Groupon on my last visit to get a nice discount on the conch train tour. I had another tour plan that cancelled because of iffy weather, so I used Groupon on my phone and got a last minute deal.

Lunchlady likes this.
  8. bwc1979

bwc1979 Earning My Ears

Lunchlady likes this.
  9. blemon

blemon Mouseketeer

We enjoyed going to the fort in the morning. Lots of iguanas.
    Then just walking around is free.

Lots to see and do.

It's not free and it's not cheap at all but we really loved the Ernest Hemingway house. You can go on a tour that's included in the price or just walk around at your own pace. It's a gorgeous house and we learned a lot. I had just read the Paris Wife so I especially enjoyed being there. My 8 year old daughter really loved it. And the cats with extra toes. If you're into literature or history at all, it's worth the price.

Lunchlady likes this.
  10. jam217

jam217 jam217

Check out the cemetery. You can get a map of the different graves and at the entrance.

Lunchlady likes this.
  11. Zhoen

Zhoen Princess in Shining Armor

Oooh! Didn't think of this! My daughters (the oldest especially) are what you might call "macabre..." I'll have to see if we can work this in... and when my husband accuses me of feeding their weirdness, I'll say "The Disney people recommended it!" ;P

Anybody got advice on the best spot/s to see the wild chickens? Our trip will be ruined without them.

Lunchlady likes this.