Free dining or 40% off hotel?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Chickee123, May 4, 2014.

1. Chickee123

Chickee123 Earning My Ears

I have a cousin that has an internship at Disney that generously offered me his 40% off Cast Member discount on our resort hotel. We were planning on going in Sept. anyway and staying at AoA resort which qualifies for free dining at that time. I am pretty sure you can't combine these two discounts unfortunately! Which route would we be better off doing? There are 5 of us and our kids are 3, 5 and 7.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. LisaTC

LisaTC DIS Veteran

40% is too good. Can't imagine any better discount, even with dining. You could easily pay for your food and more with 40% off your room. Plus, you have all children under 10 and they would be on the kids menu. I wouldn't even think twice about tossing the free dining.

4. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

At a mod or deluxe resort we would always opt for the room discount. I'd grab that 40% in a heartbeat.

5. Disneylover99

Disneylover99 DIS Veteran

So if you were to purchase the quick service dining plan it would cost you just over $132 per day. I'm not sure of the price of a Suite in September. But if it costs let's say $300, then you'll save $120 per day off the room if you take the 40% off discount. It costs our family of 4 (two adults and two children, but older children who like to eat) about $100 a day to eat at Disney - but we don't always order what we want because we try to keep the costs down.

I think for your situation, it may be kind of a toss up.

6. spritna

spritna Mouseketeer

With the 40% there is only certain rooms/resorts available just like the public discounts. So have them check, and then see which discount you can use.

7. MartDM

MartDM DIS Veteran

No question, go with the room discount!

8. DisneyBliss7

DisneyBliss7 ''Wish upon a star''

I'd go with the 40% discount too:thumbsup2

9. Mikie

Mikie DIS Veteran

I am odd and love disney math!
    At 300 (ish) per night at AofA, 40% is $120 per night savings
    Dining plan is $59/adult and $19/child, so $175 savings per night for you

That assumes the dining plan would be something you'd pay for if you took the room discount. You could eat more cheaply out of pocket depending on your eating habits. My family wants to have character meals (kids), sit down and be waited on at least once a day (hubby), and not eat burgers/sandwiches and fries for 8 days straight (me). So I priced out our DDP/no DDP options for a family of 5 with 3 character meals (one is CRT that takes 2 credits) and 3 sit downs without characters, a quick service per day and light snack-type meal per day. These specific restaurants result in about breaking even on adults and saving substantially on the kids. SO if you eat like us, the DDP is useful and the FD is your better discount.

However, if you'd eat in your suite, eat more fast food or skip some meals altogether, or not do any pricey character meals, the out of pocket eating and the room discount would pay off for you.

In general, value resorts full of family members (even the pricier AofA) benefit more from a FD discount *assuming you'd eat that way*; moderates and deluxes with fewer people (especially kids) benefit more from the room discount.

10. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

I'd take the discount!! With the ages of your kids they can prob share some meals.
    We've gone oop, and put the amount we would have spent on a Disney gift card, eat well, and come out cheaper then what DDP would have cost. A few things factor in, we prefer water with our meals, not pop drinkers, don't want dessert after lunch, and my daughter & I prefer to share a dessert if one interests us, or maybe pick up something elsewhere later in the night. We have a hard time using all the snack credits on the DDP, just too much food. We may not do a TS every night, but just about. And the CS meals are getting pretty good, we may have a burger once. But there's a large variety of food at CS these days.

11. Mousemommy1

Mousemommy1 DIS Veteran

It depends on where you stay and your dining habits.

We are a family of four. 2 adults, 1 Disney adult (10) and 1 child.

We stay 10 nights. The DDP would cost us $2011.00.

I know from our previous stays, that using our TiW card, we never spend more than $1100 on food (that's with about 6 TS meals incl signature and character). We just don't like to be tied to a DP our whole trip, plus TONS of food goes to waste.

We do however, greatly enjoy staying deluxe, and CL. With our 40% off at the GF (outer building CL), we are saving $2775 off of rack rate.

So, not only do we save $1000+ by not doing the DDP and paying OOP, we have the added savings of the room type we enjoy for a total of $3775 in savings on what would be the rack rate for our trip. :goodvibes

12. lustergirl

lustergirl DIS Veteran

With younger children like yours I would take the room discount. With older kids like my sons, when they used to go, I always took the free dining promo because they will eat you out of house and home:lmao::lmao:

13. Moomduck1

Moomduck1 DIS Veteran

40% off in a heartbeat. When my children were young, the dining plan was NEVER worth it. Much cheaper to pay out of pocket. It wasn't really worth it as adults either. We just aren't big eaters, so it's always cheaper for us to pay out of pocket for food.

14. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

OP is staying at AoA which is offered free quick service dining. Looks like you quoted the regular dining plan prices. I agree with PP that it's kind of a toss up - considering QS prices, the free dining plan vs. 40% off a family suite is the difference of a few dollars per night.

OP, would you buy the QS dining plan anyway if you went with the 40% off? Or would you buy either dining plan if it wasn't an offer? If you'd get it anyway, you might as well go with the free plan. If not, you're better off with the 40% off.

15. Chickee123

Chickee123 Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!! I am leaning towards the hotel discount then.

16. Mikie

Mikie DIS Veteran

Oops! You're absolutely right, I used regular dining plan prices & not the QS price, which is what you get free from AofA at $300/night, I guess my brain just decided that wasn't "value" pricing! :rolleyes1

Factoring the upgrade to DDP or just using the QS plan, and it's basically a wash.. . . Decide how you plan to eat at disney & RO is likely the best, most flexible deal.

17. NavyDotz

NavyDotz Disney & Doughboy- so that's where all my money we

:thumbsup2
    That's why i love this site! I have been trying to calculate how to check in two days earlier just to get the FD but I just couldn't do it w/ the required two-day park tickets. (Got a better price thru an employee discount.)

Also we would be losing two days of dining because we are going to UOR to see the new HP section.

I'll just put the amount of the oop DDP on a gift card & go from there - probably will have enough left over for last minute souvenirs! :cheer2:

:confused3
    P.S. - sure this has already been answered somewhere b4 but i'm just curious - how do they handle the CRT dining if you've already booked your ressie & been charged on your CC if you then switch to a FD package once those codes come out?

18. Prissyms

Prissyms Earning My Ears

I'm not sure...I know with the different discounts we've tried to use, we were only able to use one and we always use the better one which is the discount on the room. I'm not sure how that works with you discount being a CM's! I believe it would be the same way and I agree, the discount on your room is much better than free dining.