Free dining complaint...

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Plan' started by pixxi, Dec 8, 2012.

1. pixxi

pixxi Mouseketeer

Has anyone complained to Disney about getting quick dining plan vs reglar plan when you stay at a suite during free dining?

We stayed at a moderate (6 of us including an infant) and received the regular dining plan. This year we took the bounce back offer but we had to book a suite since the youngerst will be 3. We are paying a lot more for the room and we only qualify for the quick service. It just seems wrong.

I was just wondering if anyone else thought so too. I sent an email to Disney expresing my opinion. I think if we get more people on board, they may change that rule. :yay:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I don't see any problem with it. It would be a huge mess if they hooked the plan to the type of room, instead of the level of resort, that you are staying at. You can always upgrade to the regular plan for a relatively small fee.

Just another thing to consider when deciding where you want to stay.

4. LilyWDW

LilyWDW Going to My Happy Place

You can pay to upgrade. It's a discount and it was your choice to pick a resort where you would only get the quick service plan. There is nothing wrong with Disney limiting a discount as they see fit.

5. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Good Sailing Master. Average Banjo Picker.

1) Not wrong.
    2) It is simply economics.
    3) In a family suite, you can pile in the people.
    4) With a huge family, the cost of FD is as much or more than as the room.
    5) And, the resort pays for Free Dining,
    . . . not WDW-in-general
    . . . not the restaurant division
    6) Offering higher levels of FD is counter-productive, from profit standpoints.

6. princessallegra

princessallegra They call me Mrs. Disney

Hi! The regular dining plan (and deluxe as well if I'm not mistaken) is available to you at an upcharge. Enjoy the suite! They are awesome. We were pixie dusted with a family suite upgrade at Asmu and it was awesome.

7. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Did you book a suite at a deluxe resort or did you book a Family Suite. Family suite is just a value resort. You get QS dining with value resorts. Book a suite at a deluxe resort and you get regular dining plan.

8. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

I think it is fine. The suites are keeping you from getting 2 rooms. You could get 2 rooms for around the same price at a mod and get the regular dp... Or pay the fee for the upgrade and come out about even.

The suite is for convenience.

9. gigi1313

gigi1313 DIS Veteran

This is what we do... And as a fam of five, we often book the FD deal with all of us in one room, and a second room only w/a discount to cut costs...

10. sharonabe

sharonabe DIS Veteran

They could not offer free dining at all and then you could just pay for what you want. Sorry, but complaining about something that is free seems a little much to me.

11. jamimb

jamimb DIS Veteran

I can understand where your coming from!! It would irritate me as well to think that someone staying in a moderate and paying less was getting more!

12. gigi1313

gigi1313 DIS Veteran

But they are not getting "more" of everything... The family in the suite is getting more space, getting more sleeping surfaces, getting a kitchenette, getting more bathrooms, and getting the ability to have their family all together, guaranteed!

In the past (2011 and prior), the family with QSDP got more snacks and a mug that the DDP families did not get. Last but not least, the family at the Value resort could upgrade, thereby getting more options, but the Mod family could not downgrade and get QSDP even if they wanted it!

13. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

Different family sizes mean different options. Not the fault of those who can stay in one Moderate room that they chose to have fewer kids than those who need two rooms.

14. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

I agree.

15. Lita

Lita Mouseketeer

Exactly!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

16. jamimb

jamimb DIS Veteran

I can totally see where the OP is coming.

Once upon a time when Disney offered Free Dining everyone got the same dining plan regardless of where they were staying. A lot of people get the free dining but stay in a value resort. Disney said wait a minute we are really losing money on this and then only started offering the quick service plan to those who stayed in values probably in an attempt to get them to shell out more money and stay in a moderate to get the regular dining or shell out more money and upgrade to the regular dining out right.

My point is if you are staying in a family suite you are paying a lot more than those staying in a moderate but if you want the regular dining you are going to have to pay more for it even though you have already paid more for your room.

All that being said I wouldnt let this upset me or make me angry and I would still be grateful for anything free I received from Disney but I can totally see the unfairness of the situtation.

17. bcrook

bcrook DIS Veteran

You can hardly consider it FREE. It is an incentive based on rack room rates.

This makes sense to me. The DDP should be based on your rack rate not room type.

But, I guess if you can get a suite, and save yourself from getting two rooms or a deluxe with more space... Then maybe that is a good reason for QSDP.

Does a value suite cost more than two rooms in a moderate? If it costs the same, then you really have a gripe.

18. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

I think there is too much stress put on the word a room or suite here. A family suite at a value is just 2 regular rooms connected together with a counter, small frig and microwave added. For that (at least last time I checked) you pay $10 more a night for.

If you get the free TS plan because your one "room" cost more, what about the guy down the hall that just gets 2 connecting rooms and only pays just a little less?

Also FD is not something that they are obligated to offer. Its a room discount like any other and is designed to get "head in beds" that's it and they are going to work it however they can to make it cost effective.

As I recall FD used to be only a few weeks a year to get people to go to WDW the first couple weeks of the fall hurricane season. They kept expanding it until now people are addicted to it and just can't stop. What ever happened to WDW offering less discounts?

19. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

When it first came out I had read stories that locals where booking a value room and "filling it" just to get the dining credits and not even going to the parks at all. Remember it used to be only a one day ticket so they would even eat the cost of the ticket and make out.

Similar reason why you can't get free dining at a campsite. They can hold 10 people.

20. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

As just posted, a value suite costs just a little more than 2 value rooms. Since value rooms are cheaper no.

Though I think the suites at AoA are more than the suites at ASMu but they are more because they are new and can charge more.

21. bcrook

bcrook DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. Plus that is the best answer for the OP.