Free Dining 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did this back in 2011... we felt it was worth it. But your definition of worth it might be different than mine.

We just used it as a way of pre-paying for everything (putting the money on a gift card would pretty much do the same thing). We also hit a lot of places we had been wanting to try (Yatchman's, Hoop Dee Doo, Royal Table, basically places that I wouldn't have been happy with dropping the actual cash amount, lol. We did a lot of meals/events that were two credit options. We didn't do three TS meals on any one day.

If it were in my budget this time, I would do so again.

If it's a numbers game in relation to worth and you are wondering if you are going to come out ahead, it will depend on the size (and ages) of your party and how you plan on using the credits.

Sorry I couldn't give you a straight yes or no.
Ah, true! Would be more feasible if you did a lot of 2 credit places. But with young kids, still not sure.:confused3 I would do it.

Just for kicks I checked Touring Plan's crowd levels and noticed that Sept. 2 (Labor Day, and the supposed first day of FD) has a crowd level of 8 (on a scale from 1-10). The crowds do drop drastically after that, but seems weird they would start FD on such a busy day. I suppose a lot of people would just be checking in on that day, and not going to a park.

There probably offering free dining on labor day because most people will be using that day to fly back home for kids that start school the next day. The parks will be crowded with alot of locals but the hotels will be emptying out.

Actually, when we were there in 2009 (free dining), the week before labor day was pretty light (walked on Expedition Everest multiple times in a row, for example), the weekend (Sat. and Sun.) was quite crowded, and Labor Day was DEAD. Very low crowds.
I think everyone was traveling that day to get back in time for school.
I'm actually shocked they are predicting an 8.
I think that most people with kids will be back to school, with some exceptions, of course. We meet a lot of other homeschoolers that week. ;)

The limited sale COULD affect it, but I think most August travelers travel then because they do not have the option of Sept. The most you could get is the October or later travelers, and if something good comes out for them before Sept., they will probably change back to later in the Fall.

We've been to WDW during free dining for August and September dates, and never has it been very crowded.

Sorry. Was driving. And yes the above poster is right. Stay on your TA and make sure it happens. May be good to give a backup resort or two just in case.

That's what we did. We are going with extended family(4 other families to be exact). If others get AoA, we will go to pop. If none of us can get it, we are all going to movies. I was just hoping We both would be able to do it so that way we could have a good chance! My kids are so excited to stay there!!!

We did this back in 2011... we felt it was worth it. But your definition of worth it might be different than mine.

We just used it as a way of pre-paying for everything (putting the money on a gift card would pretty much do the same thing). We also hit a lot of places we had been wanting to try (Yatchman's, Hoop Dee Doo, Royal Table, basically places that I wouldn't have been happy with dropping the actual cash amount, lol. We did a lot of meals/events that were two credit options. We didn't do three TS meals on any one day.

If it were in my budget this time, I would do so again.

If it's a numbers game in relation to worth and you are wondering if you are going to come out ahead, it will depend on the size (and ages) of your party and how you plan on using the credits.

Sorry I couldn't give you a straight yes or no.

Yes, exactly. Don't let anyone talk you out of doing deluxe if it looks right for your family. We love it and it isn't too much food. We do 2 TS per day - a breakfast or lunch and a signature dinner and it lets us avoid CS which we don't generally enjoy at Disney. BUt, YMMV, of course based on many other factors.

So there is no issue if I try to do it myself after she booked everything else? She said she didn't think I could do it, she thought she had to do it.
Is there am issue with both of us trying, or would that be too confusing?(if it doesn't matter who adds it)

No, that is not correct. You can not call and add the FD discount to your reservation, that can only be done by your TA. You do not own your reservation, the TA does, and she will have to call and make any changes to your reservation.

Lazor, I hope you do not think I was trying to talk you out of something. Just offering a solicited opinion. If it was just me, DH and oldest 2 kids I would do DeluxDP in a minute. But to me I think of it this way. Do I want to take two small kids out to eat 2-3 time a day for multiple days in a row? You know your family best and what they desire and what they can handle. Each family is unique. Take this info that has been gathered for you and make the best decision that best fits your family.:)

I know you addressed October in an earlier post but what chances are you giving November, specifically the week before Thanksgiving? We have never stayed on site but were hoping to this year. We'd only be able to do so with free dining. Thanks for your insight :)

I don't think they are completely phasing out free dining yet. Free dining has been nothing but a strike of pure genius for WDW to fill the parks and resorts during historically low crowd periods. Anything is possible and Disney could end all FD discounts after, September, but I don't think we are there yet. I think if there Oct - Dec FD discounts this year they will be:

Oct 1-6
Oct 20 - Nov 1
Nov 10-21
Nov 30 - Dec 5
Dec 14-19

Those are my guesstimates for FD and room only for today :-)

No, that is not correct. You can not call and add the FD discount to your reservation, that can only be done by your TA. You do not own your reservation, the TA does, and she will have to call and make any changes to your reservation.

Thanks!! That's what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure...wishful thinking!! Crossing our fingers!!

Just curious. Will anyone actually be calling on Thursday on the very very very remote chance of a visa release? I think it's Monday but ya never can tell this year. The summer offer didn't drop til Tuesday and visa still released Thursday. But regardless, I'm betting some folks call about this everyday. :thumbsup2

The Disney Visa promos are generally 3 days before the General Public offer and have been released for FD promos on Thursdays a number of times. But this is not a "hard and fast" rule, for a number of years, starting in 2007, the DV offer was on Mondays. The January - March room only discounts came out on Thursday, October 4 and the GP offer came put on Wednesday, October 10 - so, there's a crazy Wednesday drop date thrown in there :-). The free dining dates for October - December 2012 were open for DV holders on Monday, July 9 and GP on Thursday, July 12. The 2013 packages were released on Wednesday, July 11, that was an INSANE week.

I'm not a cardholder, but was planning on calling the 9th first thing in the am..also was going to go online and see which I can get to first, but not really sure how to go about the online process. I'm going to try and figure that out first!! Also trying to get my TA to try and get in for me and see what she can do...crossing my fingers to keep the LM room!!

The TA has to add the code and it can not be added to an existing reservation over the phone. Only new FD package reservations will be able to be made on the website.

IF the sale for DV holders is coming out a week a head of time, we will know tomorrow, I'm sure. Someone ALWAYS knows in advance.
I don't think there is any benefit to calling if no one has announced it here. If the Disboarders don't know about it...the CMs will for sure not know about it.
I don't think they've ever released a DV sale that far ahead of a regular sale, though.

I agree, the DV offer is usually leaked by at least the night before.I

Actually, when we were there in 2009 (free dining), the week before labor day was pretty light (walked on Expedition Everest multiple times in a row, for example), the weekend (Sat. and Sun.) was quite crowded, and Labor Day was DEAD. Very low crowds.
I think everyone was traveling that day to get back in time for school.
I'm actually shocked they are predicting an 8.
I think that most people with kids will be back to school, with some exceptions, of course. We meet a lot of other homeschoolers that week. ;)

The limited sale COULD affect it, but I think most August travelers travel then because they do not have the option of Sept. The most you could get is the October or later travelers, and if something good comes out for them before Sept., they will probably change back to later in the Fall.

We've been to WDW during free dining for August and September dates, and never has it been very crowded.

MY sister and i got free dining in October 2011. We arrived on the Wednesday before Columbus day and it was a little crowded till Friday when it picked up but on Columbus day it was very quiet and the lobby of pop century was filled with families leaving. But no matter what, I will not be changing my reservation in November.For me the weather is perfect and the crowds are low.(going the week after Jersey week)

Black, thanks for your posts...very helpful for this first timer! I am wondering what a better option for us would be, to try for the room discount or to try for the free dining. We are booked at the Contemporary in the cheapest room possible with the deluxe dining from September 25-29. I'm having trouble figuring out which would be the better deal? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Just depends how many people are staying in the room and what are the kid's ages.

sry I was wondering how much it is per day to upgrade from basic dp to deluxe dp? and if anyone has done it do you think its worth it? thanks :-)

I, personally do not find any value in the Deluxe DDP, free or otherwise. We have done the DDP at least once or twice per year since they introduced it in 2005, we did the Deluxe plan 1 time and my husband and kids hated it. It takes up an incredible amount of park time to do the deluxe plan and it is very overpriced. It was a big waste of time and money for us - and we only paid the FD upgrade charge which wasn't nearly as much as it is now.

I, personally do not find any value in the Deluxe DDP, free or otherwise. We have done the DDP at least once or twice per year since they introduced it in 2005, we did the Deluxe plan 1 time and my husband and kids hated it. It takes up an incredible amount of park time to do the deluxe plan and it is very overpriced. It was a big waste of time and money for us - and we only paid the FD upgrade charge which wasn't nearly as much as it is now.

Good to know. And is that $44 dollar upcharge to upgrade apply to kids to?

The Disney Visa promos are generally 3 days before the General Public offer and have been released for FD promos on Thursdays a number of times. But this is not a "hard and fast" rule, for a number of years, starting in 2007, the DV offer was on Mondays. The January - March room only discounts came out on Thursday, October 4 and the GP offer came put on Wednesday, October 10 - so, there's a crazy Wednesday drop date thrown in there :-). The free dining dates for October - December 2012 were open for DV holders on Monday, July 9 and GP on Thursday, July 12. The 2013 packages were released on Wednesday, July 11, that was an INSANE week.

I know, I just threw it out there. In fact, for the summer offer that came out on Tuesday, the visa folks got a real long kickstart there, much more than the three days normally offered.

Just wonder how many CMs will tell people (including myself), when they call in for free dining, that they have no idea what they're talking about? I always seem to get that CM who is like "free dining, we have never done free dining before, why would you think we would do that?" Then I reply "umm, check with your system or supervisor"....long pause...."oh yea, I see it right here". :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter