Free Credit Report Law Kicks-In

ines248

Pirate
Okay now we (The East Coast) have 3 ways/companies to check our credit (report) from thieves.
This is what I found when I was reading the news for today. :rotfl:

9/1/05 12:15:02 AM

"WASHINGTON - Consumers in 14 East Coast states can now get a free annual credit report from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

Access to the free credit reports was phased in across the country in four installments from west to east starting last December. Thursday marks the final phase of the roll-out.

You can order free reports from all three nationwide consumer reporting companies at the same time, or stagger your requests over the course of the year. "

Links to Credit Reporting Agencies:
Experian
TransUnion
Equifax

Wouldn't make any sense to order them all at one time that I can see!! They'd all say the same thing! Everyone should get a free report though. That way you will know if anyone's trying to open an account that you don't know about!! Identity theft is so rampant!!

I got my first one in June and will be getting another one October to receive one every 4 months.

Thanks for the info. I had looked this up some time ago, but it was hard to find any info since "free credit report" on google brought up so many hits.

DW mouser
All credit reports do not always say the same info. DH and I are on top of our reports from all the companies. Lot's of problems with DH's FATHERS bankruptcy on his credit report. For both of us, some things like cars or credit cards weren't on all the reports. For example one car of mine was on Experion, not on the others. This happened with some of my credit cards too. Also, DH had a judgement from a Dr's office on one of the reports, not on the other 2. Again this was his fathers. We went through so much having to get it all cleared up! You would think they would check SS#'s!! DH and his father have the same name, his father is deceased so we had to send death certificates, copies of FIL bankruptcy papers, birth cert to all the agencies. Not just to one. What we were told is that some companies will only report things to one agency, not all 3.

DW mouser said:
Wouldn't make any sense to order them all at one time that I can see!! They'd all say the same thing!
Actually, the 3 reports are often different as not all creditors report to all 3 bureaus. So what you should do under the new law is order a credit report every 4 months, rotating between the 3 companies. That way, you'll get one from each once a year.

disneysteve said:
Actually, the 3 reports are often different as not all creditors report to all 3 bureaus. So what you should do under the new law is order a credit report every 4 months, rotating between the 3 companies. That way, you'll get one from each once a year.

This is an excellent idea expecially when I see an adresss on my report that I have no idea where is coming from! I mean someone added an incorrect address and I still do no know who and for what purpose, but hopefully I will be able to rotate between 3 reports every 4 months and for a year, So I can sleep better at night. I am still going to call them on tuesday to let them know about this adress error.It is better to be safe than sorry:Thanks for this wonderful idea. :teacher:

You can access all 3 at once at freecreditreport.com. You can print one and then go back and print the next two. Good thing to have. On ours, they had my son as my husband's spouse, lol. Gotta fix that!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, it is so important in this day and age to keep up with your personal information. Everyone should order this and check it out just to be sure everything is okay.

Our local paper gave this web address...

www.annualcreditreport.com

When you go there it shows the a US map and the start dates for the free reports to begin in each area.

Its interesting. I took a free one from Equifax, which I have not seen one from them in years and they have my employment listed as one I had back in 1990. I left that company Jan 10, 1990 and have had three jobs since then and not one of them shows up anywhere. I know the Transunion has it correct and so does Experian. So my advice is to take the one you have not seen most recently.

I am ok will all the other info on it, just need to fix the employment section.

Lori

None of the companies have my correct employer, despite having bought a car, refinanced my house, etc. over the last several years (the credit companies have a company I last worked for in 1997).

Thanks for the tip on the free credit reports!

Boy, the things you learn on this web site!! I was told that they would all be the same so to only order one! Now I will order so I get one every 4 months from the three! Thanks!!

BIG BIG BIG question...

My husband claims (and I have some info that supports this claim) that when one asks for a "free" credit report, this counts against you when others are checking your credit.

i.e...if someone checks your credit and you have had X number of credit report checks previously...this can lower your credit report rating...JUST THE ACT OF YOU ASKING FOR YOUR CREDIT REPORT...anyone think this is true?

PS...my husband is really savvy on all this stuff and he and I have gone round and round about this...but I have to bow to him...he turned 5 digits into a high 6 digits as far as a stock portfolio was concerned in the last 30 months, whereas my investments in the same timeframe were...dismal.

Lol...this discussion came about because he objected to all the "free credit reports" I was asking for because they gave me "points" on some "points sites"...he says I am "penny wise" (in getting little rewards) and "pound foolish" because the accumulation of these little rewards on the internet requires several inquiries into our credit reports, which in and of itself counts against our credit reports!

Disney Steve???? Lol...I watch everything you write because my husband does so many of the things you espouse...well, I do too...but when you talk about something I don't understand, my DH says you are right on...even though he only reads articles/posts I ask him to read on the Disboards, which are few an far between, and have turned out to be mostly your posts.

Pretty much my DH has been right about most things...but I still think I would like to have credit reports since...why should that be a bad thing? Lol...DH says they always come back super, but when I ask for them it counts against them...since they made this a law, is this still the case?

Lol...I'd ask for one every three months if I could do so without affecting our credit...because I can get a few rewards points here and there...definitely not worth it if it counts against us, but no skin off anyone's nose if it is not allowed to count against us (we have excellent credit). Sigh, my DH just wishes I would not do this...and I say what difference does it make if it doesn't do any harm. He has always said that it works against us, but if this is a law...can it still work against us?

Ozymoe said:
BIG BIG BIG question...

My husband claims (and I have some info that supports this claim) that when one asks for a "free" credit report, this counts against you when others are checking your credit.

i.e...if someone checks your credit and you have had X number of credit report checks previously...this can lower your credit report rating...JUST THE ACT OF YOU ASKING FOR YOUR CREDIT REPORT...anyone think this is true?

PS...my husband is really savvy on all this stuff and he and I have gone round and round about this...but I have to bow to him...he turned 5 digits into a high 6 digits as far as a stock portfolio was concerned in the last 30 months, whereas my investments in the same timeframe were...dismal.

Lol...this discussion came about because he objected to all the "free credit reports" I was asking for because they gave me "points" on some "points sites"...he says I am "penny wise" (in getting little rewards) and "pound foolish" because the accumulation of these little rewards on the internet requires several inquiries into our credit reports, which in and of itself counts against our credit reports!

Disney Steve???? Lol...I watch everything you write because my husband does so many of the things you espouse...well, I do too...but when you talk about something I don't understand, my DH says you are right on...even though he only reads articles/posts I ask him to read on the Disboards, which are few an far between, and have turned out to be mostly your posts.

Pretty much my DH has been right about most things...but I still think I would like to have credit reports since...why should that be a bad thing? Lol...DH says they always come back super, but when I ask for them it counts against them...since they made this a law, is this still the case?

Lol...I'd ask for one every three months if I could do so without affecting our credit...because I can get a few rewards points here and there...definitely not worth it if it counts against us, but no skin off anyone's nose if it is not allowed to count against us (we have excellent credit). Sigh, my DH just wishes I would not do this...and I say what difference does it make if it doesn't do any harm. He has always said that it works against us, but if this is a law...can it still work against us?

Generically, there are two types of inquiries. One is called a hard pull, these are the type that are done when you apply for credit. The other is called a soft pull, like when you order a copy of your credit report. Soft pulls are also done without your knowledge. For example, ING pulled some on my mother (she has an ING account) and they wanted to sell her insurance. Creditors can continue to do soft pulls after you've obtained the loan.

Hard pulls can hurt (if you do alot) and can last on your report for I think 2 years. Soft pulls have no value.

If you need more info go to www.creditboards.com.

Good luck!

minnie1928 said:
Generically, there are two types of inquiries. One is called a hard pull, these are the type that are done when you apply for credit. The other is called a soft pull, like when you order a copy of your credit report.
Hard pulls can hurt (if you do alot) and can last on your report for I think 2 years. Soft pulls have no value.
Ozymoe- Kelly woke up earlier than me today. :sunny: She explained it very clearly. Checking your own credit report should not count against your credit score. I think the value of reviewing your report every few months, or at least annually, would outweigh any negative even if it did count against you.

DW mouser said:
Wouldn't make any sense to order them all at one time that I can see!! They'd all say the same thing! Everyone should get a free report though. That way you will know if anyone's trying to open an account that you don't know about!! Identity theft is so rampant!!

It maqkes perfect sense to order all of them. Not all Credit reports will say the same thing a lot of the time. Some companies report to one credit place and some to another. One can how you owe money to ABC corp., while another show it as Paid off. always compare reports to make sure they are all correct and up to date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter