Freaking out! Trip in 3 weeks and I just realized I'm supposed to plan for a year!

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by paintedbison, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Mkrop

Mkrop <font color=coral>I just cant go on demand<br><fon

We are rope drop people,we can get so much done but I think you will be ok.

We do like at least one TS meal a day. And the rest is CS. We like the character meals for getting pictures and autographs so we dont have to stand in line.

Your plan is fine, but I agree with others, you may have to switch gears if the weather is rainy for a long time and not just the once a day rain shower.

If you are not staying onsite, avoid the parks with EMH, We always go to the park that had EMHpm the night before.

Look at maps and menus, look at FP and how it works.

Lots of water.

Ice cream saved many a meltdowns and kept it possible for our family to keep going

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DznyPrnces

DznyPrnces Mouseketeer

I second the part about baby wearing. I wore my DS at Disneyland in February and I was so hot. And that was CA in February. I do plan on wearing him in lines at WDW because he's heavy and my arms can't take holding him for all lines for 4 days of parks (the length of our trip).

My suggestion is to rent a double stroller if you don't have one. That's a lot of walking for those little legs and if you don't plan on leaving the parks for a mid-day break at least your 2 youngest can take stroller naps. I rented from baby wheels Orlando, but there are other companies that rent as well. I can't comment on the rental yet, since our trip is still 2 weeks out. But they get good reviews. I do know the the stroller they rent, the city mini (single or double) is a good one. I have the single and I love it.

4. keri125

keri125 Mouseketeer

You are going to have so much fun!!! :goodvibes I went with my son for the first (and so far only :worried:) time in 2010 when he was five. We had planned four days for the parks and one day for Universal. Wound up letting go the Universal day for a second MK day. We bought park hoppers and I don't think we used them ONCE! :rotfl: I did a ton of research, too, before we went, and the ONE piece of advice that actually meant the most to me was DON'T EXPECT TO DO IT ALL!! :lmao: Such great advice! We went in October (and back then, October still meant all rides were basically walk-on) and STILL didn't do half of what we wanted to do. BUT it was because I took the advice of other DIS'rs and just let my son lead. We had the best vacation I have ever had. I want to go back so badly - hoping maybe for a second trip in 2015 but we'll see. Anyhow, all the advice you have received here is great, but I did just want to emphasize the "relax and remember there is no way to do it all, so just enjoy what you can do!" advice! Have fun! :cool1:

5. wishicouldgomoreofte

wishicouldgomoreofte Mouseketeer

I typed a long post, apparently not fast enough, and it logged me out. So I will have to make this quick.:rotfl:
    Pick up a birthday button for your son at guest relations first thing your Magic Kingdom day. Cast members and other guests will wish him happy birthday all day. It really does feel great.
    Enjoy yourself, and don't worry about rope drop or other counter-intuitive stuff. You know what is right for you family.
    Take some small baggies of snacks that don't melt & aren't messy each day in your park bag. Being hungry leads to meltdowns too. Expect meltdowns. Everyone has them, at least one every trip. It happens. You will walk so much more than you think you will. Take advantage of the child care center. Know it will rain--alot, maybe every day.
    The MK opening ceremony is really wonderful, if you are able to make it one morning.
    Your counter service & one Crystal Palace sounds great! Stick with that plan. You can great free ice water at any CS place, ask for a CUP of ice water. If you just ask for water, they will give you a bottle & charge $2.50. The ice cuts the Florida water taste. If you are coffee drinkers, bring some Via or Folgers or whatever packets with you in your park bag. You can ask for hot water and sip coffee or cocoa or tea while resting, watching parade, taking a break.
    Do you know about Jedi training? I don't know if they do that on Star War weekends.
    You will make wonderful memories. Have fun!
    Stick with a point & shoot camera. You will have more than enough to keep track of, without your camera being one.
    Read the map you pick up at entrance. It really is full of usefull info. Amazing how many people don't look at them, think they already know it all, and miss things because of that.
    Everything is so beautiful---try to enjoy the details of the buildings, landscaping, set decorating, rides.

6. Jewel3k

Jewel3k Mouseketeer

I also suggest renting a double stroller from one of the offsite companies. With our three kids it felt that two seats wasn't enough. The heat in September exhausted them.

7. Fiveisaparty

Fiveisaparty Mouseketeer

I think you have done a great job! I also echo the need for a double stroller the sling will be too hot after a while (I did use one with my 1 year old first trip, but also used a stroller and it was winter so the two of melting wasn't an issue ;) ) Have a great time!

8. ADisneyQueen

ADisneyQueen DIS Veteran

It's fine eating just one TS for the week. Sit down meals take up a lot of time and it can be a pain to have a planned time for a meal that you can't change. We have had trips eating just a few TS and other ones with TS every night. Our last trip in June we ate all counter service. That's what my kids wanted. They would rather have more time on rides and they don't eat much for one meal. Some advise I would give you is to make sure you bring or buy snacks and drinks and have breaks throughout the day. I don't know the ages of your kids, but mine always eat small frequent meals through the day at the parks b/c they are walking so much and burning calories.

9. Coconuts

Coconuts DIS Veteran

I think it sounds like you are doing great so far.:thumbsup2

A few things:

Since you won't be on the dining plan, TS can be very expensive, especially with 4 kids. Keeping those meals down to a minimum is a good choice. Many CS are fairly big meals. You can certainly get more for your money outside the parks, which you can do since you have a car. I suggest if you leave the park for a break, eat dinner before you come back.

We never bring our heavy camera. It's much easier to put a small digital in a fanny pack. But know that picture quality isn't as good. You might want to conserve on what you bring to the parks with 4 kids.

We always get park hoppers but have done our first trip without. I like having the flexiblity to not be strapped down to one park for the day. But it is doable without them.

We never really plan out touring the parks, except to try and hit a fastpass as soon as we get in for the most popular attractions, i.e. Soarin, Space Mountain, etc. That just takes too much effort and away from my fun to plan my day that much.

Since you aren't staying onsite and can't do EMH, just make sure that the parks you visit don't have EMH that day. The crowds won't be as bad. We always do this even though we always stay onsite, since we are not EMH people. We never get up early for rope drops.

We brought Keens on our last trip but I felt that they rubbed my feet a little. Sneakers with socks have always been best for us.

Walking at WDW is a lot more than at home so your 4yo might need a stroller more than you think. I would either bring a double, two singles, or rent from Orlando Stroller.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!:goodvibes

10. Queen2PrincessG

Queen2PrincessG DIS Veteran

Don't let the obsessiveness of some scare you!@

You are fine! You will be fine. Just know going in you will not do or see everything AND THAT IS OK!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

NO one suggestion I have is that while keens are comfortable you should bring a pair of sneakers too. If the keens get wet or don't dry in time you will want a back up of shoes!

Your dining choice is fine and you will have a blast! Its DISNEY!!

11. garjanjones

garjanjones Mouseketeer

Relax. Have a blast! Everything will be fine. There is no "right" way to do Disney. Make it your way.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc <font color=royalblue>We had a wonderful time, but

I just want to put in a plug for table service.

For my family (and I really mean that; I know things work differently for other familes) that table service meal is important. It's the ONE time all day when no one is looking at a watch, or planning what fastpass they should get on the way to which other ride. It's family time. We sit, we know we'll be there a while, and we talk about our day. Sure, we're talking about WDW, but we're talking with each other. It's family time at its finest.

For me, that two hours or so a day are so very important. As much as I love the rides and attractions and the fireworks and the parades, it's that two hours of being together and sharing a meal that are most important. Somehow, for us, counter service simply doesn't accomplish the same thing.

13. chekhovgirl

chekhovgirl Mouseketeer

I haven't read the other responses, but here's my brief one:

If people are on this board, they are planners. I like to be prepared, but not over scheduled; similar to you. We had an ADR, but we ended up canceling it. I believe we did all quick service, and that was great for us because it was flexible and we got to see characters at chance meetings in the park. My kids weren't set on seeing any one character. One ADR is plenty.

I would get to the park at opening. If your other kids need to go back and nap, maybe you or your husband can take the older child to the hotel pool, assuming there is one?

It sounds like you're pretty prepared to me!

14. chekhovgirl

chekhovgirl Mouseketeer

One thing that we were not laid back about was getting fast passes for those rides where they were a must, like Toy Story Mania. I would not trade getting there as the park opened and running to get a fast pass for missing it or standing in a three hour long line! We were never there for rope drop, but arrived just as the parks were opening.

15. iheartjuppy

iheartjuppy Mouseketeer

You'll have a blast! It will be crowded, but I would NOT sweat the table service restaurants. We have three booked, total, for our six park days - we, too, would rather grab counter service and get right back to it. We tend to go earlier, and leave when the park is at its hottest. We haven't park hopped in the past but I did buy them this time just in case. There are PLENTY of counter service spots that still have indoor, air-conditioned seating so you can have a family meal and "catch up" (even if you've all been together all day!) and go over the highlights or what's up next. Honestly, sometimes I feel like when I read TOO much or try to plan too carefully/strictly I miss out on some of the spontaneous magic or feel disappointed if I don't get something "checked' off the list. I think if you have read through and have an idea of your "must do"s at each park, head right for those when you arrive (earlier the better if they're high-demand rides). I'd check one of the crowd calendars JUST to get an idea of where the biggest crowds may be and plan accordingly. We are heading down soon and read the calendars and STILL plan to go to some of the "not recommended" parks because that fits best with our week and we're OK with it. But I do feel better having read it so I don't walk in and think "WHERE DID ALL THESE PEOPLE COME FROM? Epcot was empty yesterday!" Have an amazing vacation and let us know your favorite things! Hope you encounter lots of pixie dust!

OH - I agree with the renting of a double stroller. Our oldest turns 5 on our upcoming trip and would NEVER ride in a stroller at home but has been known to hit the wall and PASS OUT in the stroller at Disney. We rented from Apple Strollers for something like $5/day. I haven't gotten it yet, so can't vouch for how they are but for that price, I am willing to risk it! :)