FP+ with a large, varied party?

sunny_stace

DIS Veteran
How do you guys with a large party with various ages and interests use your FP+ picks? This trip in October will be the first time any of our group have ever used them and honestly trying to figure it all out is a leaving me a bit flabbergasted! :upsidedow I understand how the system itself works but am curious as to how others have done it!

We are a party of 7 with 4 adults (2 who love rides, 1 who does some and 1 who prefers to keep her feet on the ground) and 3 kids (2 girls ages 4 and 8, 1 boy age 7). Some of us grown ups will want to use them for e-ticket-type rides (i.e. EE, ToT, RnR, etc.) and some of the kids would likely want the character meet and greets. We are pretty good to split up and let everyone do their own thing but how do you plan for the different timing when choosing different FPs for different people? Also our 4 year may not be tall enough to do a lot of things the rest of our group can and I'm curious as to how the baby swap system interacts with the FP+ system.

Of course we have lots of time to plan but planning ahead is the name of our game and I find it all part of the excitement! If anyone has any insights or experiences to share I would love it! Thanks! :)

Hahahaha, not that its not possible, but last year we did 2 weeks, 1 with just my wife and I, the other with a party of 13, varying in ages from 10 to 70. It was a NIGHTMARE.

If you are OK with splitting up ... its a little more manageable, but it still means you have to do a LOT of organization on your part.

You can take some advantage though, I believe that your 4 yr old, is too young to go unaccompanied ... so if they have and FP+ for something you have a pretty good chance of being able to go with them, even if you don't have an FP for the same thing. Its been hit and miss in reports, but mostly hit. There is some rule about youngins not being allowed to be unaccompanied.

In general for us this was the worst part about FP+... the varied and large group we were in ... in the past we just picked up FPs as we toured the park, and if some didn't want them others used them but in general we stayed together and people got to ride everything they wanted without having to wait around.... This time, we split up a couple times, and other times some folks would go ride something with their FPs while everyone else just stood there ...

I think the biggest difference was that before FP ... lets say Space for instance, if some wanted to FP it , we grabbed em and hit Space either right away, or hit people mover or Buzz while we waited for the window to open, then the people who FP'd space would do it while the rest would ride People or Buzz or laugh floor or stich or something at the same time. last time the wait for Buzz and Laugh and people mover were higher, so the group who had FPs for space would actually be done before those who decided to ride secondary rides ... so someone was going to have to sit around ...

This was essentially the pattern for a week at least for the FPs, half the party ride, the other half sit around... and beyond the first 3, the whole party sit and wait while one of us runs to kiosk and tries and hopes to pull something people want ... that was fun too .

I would suggest maybe only having 1 FP+ scheduled that you all want to do together, and then let the other 2 be at everyone's own discretion. People can team up on more than 1 if they wish, but this way there's at least 1 FP+ ride that everyone is doing together.

Regarding planning timing for those FP+ you aren't doing together - maybe decide on FP+ "windows" of your own? So say, for example:

FP#1 - the one you do all together
FP#2 - can be scheduled for anything, but within a time frame of (ex. only) 11-1pm
FP#3 - can be scheduled for anything, but within a time frame of 4-6pm

Times suggested are simply examples...sub in whatever time frame would work for your group. If you want to try to be able to get 4th FP+ and beyond, I would suggest that people have their 3 prebooked FP+s used by 1pm or so (especially on party days!). I think 2 hr blocks of time for this would be good, to allow for some leeway in the scheduling since you don't know what availability for times will be like til you book them.

Everyone meets up for meals, maybe? so then people can meet up, relax, and choose where to go next (and how to stay together/go off on their own)

These aren't strategies we've had a chance to try - our extended family hasn't been since FP+ was instituted (DH and I have, but it was just us). These are some of the strategies I've thought about trying the next time my brother and SIL and their family come with us, though, and like your group it is a wide range of ages and interests.

Hahahaha, not that its not possible, but last year we did 2 weeks, 1 with just my wife and I, the other with a party of 13, varying in ages from 10 to 70. It was a NIGHTMARE.

If you are OK with splitting up ... its a little more manageable, but it still means you have to do a LOT of organization on your part.

You can take some advantage though, I believe that your 4 yr old, is too young to go unaccompanied ... so if they have and FP+ for something you have a pretty good chance of being able to go with them, even if you don't have an FP for the same thing. Its been hit and miss in reports, but mostly hit. There is some rule about youngins not being allowed to be unaccompanied.

Oh see we thought we would just let her wander around and figure it out for herself! :rotfl: ;) No, of course I would never schedule her for anything on her own!! I'm surprised that people are using that strategy! The risk of us being turned away and her being disappointed isn't something I would want to be faced with! We would schedule at least one adult with her if it's something that not everyone wants to do. Not having half of the group sitting around and waiting is what I'm trying to avoid but it's starting to seem inevitable. I'm already missing the old FP system! I mean, if it ain't broke don't fix it!! But we will give this a try! It will be tricky but I'm sure we will be able to work it all out! I can't even imagine trying to plan your group's activities!! You deserve a medal for that one!:thumbsup2 We went as a party of 8 in 2012 with a group ranging from ages 1-70 and that was difficult enough to plan just ADRs for!!

I'd recommend finding out what everyone wants to do with their FPs. Then, have one organized person make the final plan. That way, when the group has to split up, you can book thrill ride and M&G FPs (for example) at about the same time. With one Schedule maker, you can also about ADR conflicts.

Have you considered, with such a big group, using at least on FP entitlement to see an evening show together. I know it will block you from extra FPs during the day, but it will give your big group a great end to the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter