FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by PrettyFlower2, Apr 24, 2013.

1. d1gitman

d1gitman Mad About The Mouse!

I agree the Universal does some things really well, but i have to say that my biggest complaint with Universal is that too many attractions are 3d rides. At least for my liking there are too many.

We absolutely love the unlimited express pass while staying onsite but the only reason that works is due to Universal only having 3 onsite hotels thus no capacity to overcrowd the parks with onsite guests. I would however be a fan of Disney offering such a perk for a premium. Universal offers it as an upgrade to offsite guests but it's so pricey as an upgrade you can stay onsite.

Unless Universal buys a very large parcel of land in FL, i just don't see them being able to draw mass volumes of people away from Disney. Even if Universal opened up 2 more locations in the USA i don't see them denting Disney's overall draw.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. d1gitman

as a comment to Rileygirls's last post, i have to say that Universal's website is horrible. for all the complaints we have about issues with Disney sites....Universal's is as bad as any i've encountered for userfriendliness.

4. magicbob

magicbob DIS Veteran

Lots of thought provoking info in this thread!

5. Rileygirl

Rileygirl DIS Veteran

Hey Magic Bob, I meant after I responded to Damo.

But darn it, I just did it again. :)

Im stopping now. My eyes are buggy.

6. shyjade

shyjade DIS Veteran

Agreed! I was toying with the idea of heading over to see HP on our upcoming trip and their website had me sooo frustrated. I finally gave up and came on DIS to find out more about Universal, touring plans, etc.

Unfortunately, the slower-than-dial-up experience I have on Disney's website (using a T1 connection) is an entirely different bag of "icky poo"!

7. magicbob

magicbob DIS Veteran

Granted, you DID say "after that" but you also fell into my trap. ;)

Now take a much deserved break.

8. jade1

jade1 If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your luc

1. Magic Kingdom 17,536,000 +2.3% change
    2. Disneyland 15,963,000 -1.1% change
    3. Tokyo Disneyland 14,847,000 +8.5% change
    4. Tokyo Disney Sea 12,656,000 +8.5% change
    5. Disneyland Park at Disneyland Paris 11,200,000 +1.9%
    6. Epcot 11,063,000 +2.2%
    7. Disney's Animal Kingdom 9,998,999 +2.2%
    8. Disney's Hollywood Studios 9,912,000 +2.2%
    9. Universal Studios Japan 9,700,000 +14.1%
    10. Islands of Adventure 7,981,000 +4%
    11. Disney California Adventure 7,775,000 +22.6%
    14. Hong Kong Disneyland 6,700,000 +13.6%
    15. Universal Studios Orlando 6,195,000 +2.5%
    19. Sea World Florida 5,358,000 +3.0%
    20. Walt Disney Studios Park at Disneyland Paris 4,800,000 1.9%
    23. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay 4,348,000 +1.5%

9. darnheather

darnheather DIS Veteran

:dance3: I was right! I was right! LOL :dance3:

10. mom2mickeyfan

mom2mickeyfan DIS Veteran

This just proves that new attractions is what gets the numbers up. And the new Carsland wasn't open until June.

11. jade1

Yep, and as for WWOHP it may have kinda peaked but still going strong anyway.

Will be interesting to see US after the next HP phase.

12. Cafeen

Cafeen DIS Veteran

Although, interestingly, assuming my math (and these numbers) is roughly accurate... the loss of 1.1% at DL park would be roughly 1.6 million, whereas the gain of 22.6% at DCA would be a gain of about 1.4 million.

So the net is roughly a wash (to slightly down). Guessing that DCA cannibalized more locals than it drew in from outside? Of course, with Carsland opening in June rather than at the start of the year, it skews the data considerably.

(It's also interesting to see that all the WDW parks are up by the same rate (not amount)...doesn't mean much really, other than the same patterns of guest attendance has stayed the same).

Edit - As jade so nicely points out below. I'm an idiot (my words, not hers). So...yeah....large gains at DLR with only a slight cannibalization of DLPark (~150k)

13. jade1

A 10% loss at DL would have been about 1.5 million, 1% is closer to 150,000. DCA gained about 1.7 million.

14. bwang123

bwang123 Posts: 1,457,177,981

we were there may 11-16 and i saw one by the entrance of POTC. it is not big and blended in well. It faced away from the main walkway so it was only visible if you started walking into POTC and looked back. the screen looked like a computer monitor.

It was turned on so I could see that the interface was exactly what is seen in videos and reported by others.

it appears its more from CMs to make the changes not visitors.

15. Rileygirl

Rileygirl DIS Veteran

Wow, very interesting stats.

wow.
    2.2 is up for all of the orlando disney parks, compared to the year before last, where they averaged 1%

Interesting regarding DL too.

Lots of food for thought.

16. d1gitman

Interesting, it never occurred to me that one could change out a FP+ at last minute for something else if the current standby was desired. I'm sure that aspect has been discussed but this thread is too long to catch up on every post:scared1:

Maybe Disney is on to something and all of us FP and touring experts will learn new tricks. Afterall, the current FP changed how many of us do the parks, FP+ might just offer up options we haven't thought of yet.

On a different not, i saw there is a small amusement park in TX (i forget the name) that advertises it is virtually 100% ADA accessible for attractions. One of the things i saw on their website was that they have RFID bracelets. The bracelet allows you to scan at a kiosk and see where others in your party are located within the park. I wonder if this is a feature that Disney has considered or will offer.

17. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Right...that is one of the CM-oriented ones I mentioned.

18. jade1

So what's the summary on this for you?

19. WILDERNESS FAN 55

WILDERNESS FAN 55 CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Looks like WDW in general is as strong as ever :woohoo: All those festivals paying off for EPCOT attendence. As a stock holder I'm very happy :) Of course when I'm visiting I want all those people to go away :lmao:

20. LovingDisny

LovingDisny I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.

Here Here!

21. magicbob

magicbob DIS Veteran

Rather simple to do within a limited test. I'm admittedly a big FP+ naysayer, but I'll be quite surprised if making a change like this is so simple when it's rolled out for the masses. The process might be simple, but good luck finding another FP+ time to exchange it for.