FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

Friend of mine just came back from Orlando. She & her family have gone at least yearly for a VERY long time, ALWAY staying on site. This time they stayed at WBC. I smiled and nodded while she gave me her report...

Her comments:

~ We loved having a car and really being able to do so much in the Orlando area, even venturing as far Tampa to visit the ocean.

~ We only spent a couple days at the parks [WDW], and 3 at US/IOA

~ WWHP is stunning!

~ The rides at US are sooooo cool.

~ US/IOA put WDW to shame, but of course WDW is 50 years old, so I guess that's to be expected.

Disney Bean Counters: ARE YOU TAKING NOTES? :teacher:

Friend of mine just came back from Orlando. She & her family have gone at least yearly for a VERY long time, ALWAY staying on site. This time they stayed at WBC. I smiled and nodded while she gave me her report...

Her comments:

~ We loved having a car and really being able to do so much in the Orlando area, even venturing as far Tampa to visit the ocean.

~ We spent only spent a couple days at the parks [WDW], and 3 at US/IOA

~ WWHP is stunning!

~ US/IOA put WDW to shame, but of course WDW is 50 years old, so I guess that's to be expected.

My opinion:
US/IOA is for thrill rides, Disney is not though it's added a few that help. I don't want Disney to be like US/IOA. Ever. Two completely different parks/resorts.

My opinion:
US/IOA is for thrill rides, Disney is not though it's added a few that help. I don't want Disney to be like US/IOA. Ever. Two completely different parks/resorts.

You can bet that in the next five years, Universal will be adding a lot more family attractions.

She wasn't just talking about the thrill rides. She was talking about the theming (especially with WWHP), the lack of wear and tear throughout the park, and for them, the excitement of experiencing something new.

I can't stress this enough, this is a DIE HARD WDW family. We bonded over our love of the world. Our conversations usually start with "have you booked yet?" This is the family that other people comment about: "I just don't understand why they keep going back there".

You can bet that in the next five years, Universal will be adding a lot more family attractions.
Unless they changed their whole personality and training of employees, they'll never be a whole family destination. IMO. Been there enough, just feel "filthy" and un-valued after a day in their parks. Basically, I equate Disney parks to a G rating. US/IOA is PG and in some cases, PG-13.

Unless they changed their whole personality and training of employees, they'll never be a whole family destination. IMO. Been there enough, just feel "filthy" and un-valued after a day in their parks. Basically, I equate Disney parks to a G rating. US/IOA is PG and in some cases, PG-13.

Many employees work at both Universal and Disney.

I have to say that I've never felt filthy or un-valued at Universal but I pretty much love all parks and have been to most of them in North America.

Easier to add family rides to a thrill ride park than the other way round without upsetting guests ("I come here for kids rides not a roller coaster!") IMO. Teens and thrill aficionados never seemed to be bothered by Seuss landing for example. I think people who go to WDW would be far more bothered if they put in a lot more thrill rides without a lot of kids rides. Not to mention some of the franchises US can bring in. They'll have less problems fitting in a more varied range of themes without disrupting any overarching theme. That's the main advantage of having a more eclectic theme than disney does.

It really depends on the person - our family isn't into the really big thrill rides and do love the HP area at Universal but after we do a few shows, do the few rides we do go on we are normally done by 2pm at either park. After a couple of days we are basically done. We do like Universal but just not the same experience and not a week long destination

I am not a "Disney cannot do wrong" type of person
just my 2cents

It really depends on the person - our family isn't into the really big thrill rides and do love the HP area at Universal but after we do a few shows, do the few rides we do go on we are normally done by 2pm at either park. After a couple of days we are basically done. We do like Universal but just not the same experience and not a week long destination

I am not a "Disney cannot do wrong" type of person
just my 2cents

Right now, Universal doesn't sell itself as a week long vacation. I don't think that is their goal. Maybe a three day vacation.

Universal just added Transformers (in soft openings right now). Springfield will open in a few weeks with one new small ride and some eating establishments. Diagon Alley will open next year with two new rides and several new attractions. Jurassic Park is supposed to open the following summer with two more attractions. Then it is rumoured that there will be a kid zone overhaul, a complete island overhaul in IOA and some other things that are still in the planning mode. It will easily be a three day vacation. Comcast has stated that every available parcel of land will be filled in 7 years with new attractions.

Right now, Universal doesn't sell itself as a week long vacation. I don't think that is their goal. Maybe a three day vacation.

I understand but when I go on vacation the last thing I want to do is to change hotels when staying in the same city

Her comments:

~ We only spent a couple days at the parks [WDW], and 3 at US/IOA

~ WWHP is stunning!

Lasr I saw Disney still about 20 million visitors ahead of uni Love those bean counters !!!!!

Lasr I saw Disney still about 20 million visitors ahead of uni Love those bean counters !!!!!
And hopefully that won't change over time. Such changes seem to take a very long time when they happen.

Personally I want both resorts to do enormously well. I'm selfish - I want both of them and I refuse to get into the comparisons. In other words I'll defend them both when it's fair.

I'm not trying to go off topic so this is the last I'm going to comment about this...

IMHO what my friend said just reinforces what so many people in this thread have been saying for days... US/IOA is a threat to Disney, and we don't know what that's going to mean. But it's probably fair to say that HOW & WHEN the FP+ system is put into play could very well tip the scale for a lot of people one way or the other, since it seems the scales are not as one sided as they used to be.

I was not suggesting that Disney start mimicking US/IOA, simply that US/IOA are obviously doing some things right - very right - to have elicited this response from a true Disney lover. And again, it wasn't JUST about the rides for them. We live within 3 hours of both a 6 Flags and Cedar Point... thrill rides aren't that hard to come by. There is more going on in Orlando, at both sets of parks, than just rides. And Disney no longer holds all the cards when it comes to theming/story telling/capturing guests' imaginations.

I'm not trying to go off topic so this is the last I'm going to comment about this...

IMHO what my friend said just reinforces what so many people in this thread have been saying for days... US/IOA is a threat to Disney, and we don't know what that's going to mean. But it's probably fair to say that HOW & WHEN the FP+ system is put into play could very well tip the scale for a lot of people one way or the other, since it seems the scales are not as one sided as they used to be.

I was not suggesting that Disney start mimicking US/IOA, simply that US/IOA are obviously doing some things right - very right - to have elicited this response from a true Disney lover. And again, it wasn't JUST about the rides for them. We live within 3 hours of both a 6 Flags and Cedar Point... thrill rides aren't that hard to come by. There is more going on in Orlando, at both sets of parks, than just rides. And Disney no longer holds all the cards when it comes to theming/story telling/capturing guests' imaginations.

We really like US/IOA and happy it keeps improving. But its still a day trip, then back to BCV and walking to EPCOT for us.

Universal just added Transformers (in soft openings right now). Springfield will open in a few weeks with one new small ride and some eating establishments. Diagon Alley will open next year with two new rides and several new attractions. Jurassic Park is supposed to open the following summer with two more attractions. Then it is rumoured that there will be a kid zone overhaul, a complete island overhaul in IOA and some other things that are still in the planning mode. It will easily be a three day vacation. Comcast has stated that every available parcel of land will be filled in 7 years with new attractions.

Wow! It sounds pretty exciting when it's all put together like that. I can't wait till our next trip there (probably once Diagon Alley is finished!)

Personally I want both resorts to do enormously well. I'm selfish - I want both of them and I refuse to get into the comparisons. In other words I'll defend them both when it's fair.

You know what it's like? It's like when you watch House Hunters and the wife wants a house that's a little older but has nostalgia, charm, character (no pun intended ;) ) and class and the husband wants something new and retro and modern. Neither is better or worse, they're just different :thumbsup2

There are plenty of UK folks who go to the Orlando area for 2/3 weeks and never set foot in a Disney park. There is a ton of stuff to do besides Disney :-
Universal & IOA, Seaworld & Discovery Cove, Aquatica, Wet'n'Wild, Kennedy Space Centre, Legoland, the amazing Busch Gardens, shopping, the beach and many minor attractions. If Disney aren't worried, they should be!

Harry Potter totally changed the game. We spent 15 years staying on Disney property and were happy, When HP opened we hired a car and ventured off property for the first time. Boy were our eyes opened to a whole new world! Now there is no going back.

We still love Disney but if they try to force us to preschedule our rides in attempt to keep us on Disney property for the duration, this will backfire and we will do what many other UK families do and have a Disney-free Orlando vacation!

IMO FP+ will not persuade people to spend more time at Disney, it will only serve to alienate more international visitors who don't have advanced FP+ reservations and can't use their smartphones due to roaming charges. Yes I know there is free wifi in the parks but it is iffy at best!

Unless I am missing something, Disney seems to have invested a lot of money in a system which isn't going to significantly improve the experience for their guests and will make a large number of those guests, who were previously perfecly happy, seriously unhappy! :confused3

katdralion said:
Yes I know there is free wifi in the parks but it is iffy at best!

This....their wifi continues to drain my battery since it is very spotty. I'm in Disney right now & my Disney experience app continues to tell me to check in when at a park (I have been). Don't know how I feel about new FP+ system, but do want a magic band :). Oh well, only time will tell...now it's time for me to wake my family so we can get to park to mow someone over for old fashioned FP =}

There are plenty of UK folks who go to the Orlando area for 2/3 weeks and never set foot in a Disney park. There is a ton of stuff to do besides Disney :-
Universal & IOA, Seaworld & Discovery Cove, Aquatica, Wet'n'Wild, Kennedy Space Centre, Legoland, the amazing Busch Gardens, shopping, the beach and many minor attractions. If Disney aren't worried, they should be!

Harry Potter totally changed the game. We spent 15 years staying on Disney property and were happy, When HP opened we hired a car and ventured off property for the first time. Boy were our eyes opened to a whole new world! Now there is no going back.

We still love Disney but if they try to force us to preschedule our rides in attempt to keep us on Disney property for the duration, this will backfire and we will do what many other UK families do and have a Disney-free Orlando vacation!

IMO FP+ will not persuade people to spend more time at Disney, it will only serve to alienate more international visitors who don't have advanced FP+ reservations and can't use their smartphones due to roaming charges. Yes I know there is free wifi in the parks but it is iffy at best!

Unless I am missing something, Disney seems to have invested a lot of money in a system which isn't going to significantly improve the experience for their guests and will make a large number of those guests, who were previously perfecly happy, seriously unhappy! :confused3

See, this is what Disney is forgetting with this system imo. The international guest. I have no idea of the figures overall but when we went, there were always at least few international families in our hotel (and villas seem particularly popular) and we saw plenty of them in all of the parks and at other destinations. That's without even mentioning international tour groups.

Disney is going the wrong way about this in order to attract those guests. They went with a stick wrapped in shiny paper ('allowing' you to prebook rides to get fastpasses, with a lot of limits) instead of a carrot (significant new attractions and expansions.)

Yes there might be some new things coming down the road, but if people went back next year and they had rolled out fastpass+, and they didn't, couldn't or wouldn't book rides in advance, forcing you to go standby and thus not ride some attractions more than once because of insane lines, do you think people will care that oh they just announced a new ride for 2016?

Disney has created a rod for it's own back. They created the demand for FP's, now they are limiting them per person. Not a good recipe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter