FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

No one has kids and thinks, "I can't wait until I can take little Johnny to Universal Studios for the first time..." It's a place where teenagers and men under 40 like to go because of the thrills.

Huh. I thought I was a 30 year old female. Thanks for setting me straight.

And I do have kids and I have said I couldn't wait to take them to Universal. I've been there and I love it.

Also, can anyone else imagine a family with a little boy going through it's a small world and...

"Here it comes! We got a surprise for you Christopher!"

Then you see the little doll and it says...

"HELLO LAUREN." or "HELLO <RESERVATION NOT FOUND>"

I thought about this too. The Small World boats hold so many that there are bound to be several disappointed kids when their doll doesn't come up. Not that I believe that everyone should get the same and my child would know that there would be a very good chance he wouldn't see his "doll". But Disney is selling this like it will happen for everyone and runs the risk from those parents that would think it is unfair that Lauren's doll made into the ride and not their little Christopher.

Another thing that has been mentioned is the parades. With the amount of people that watch a parade how is Disney going to keep those entitled parents that think if one child is singled out, then there child should be singled out too from coming away alittle disappointed.

I thought about this too. The Small World boats hold so many that there are bound to be several disappointed kids when their doll doesn't come up. Not that I believe that everyone should get the same and my child would know that there would be a very good chance he wouldn't see his "doll". But Disney is selling this like it will happen for everyone and runs the risk from those parents that would think it is unfair that Lauren's doll made into the ride and not their little Christopher.

Another thing that has been mentioned is the parades. With the amount of people that watch a parade how is Disney going to keep those entitled parents that think if one child is singled out, then there child should be singled out too from coming away alittle disappointed.

The more I think about this, with the number of people in an attraction vehicle, parade watching space or whatever, personalization could be fraught with negative unintended consequences. The dirty looks and comments people receive in the FP line from those in SB will be mild in comparison.

Not to mention, those who are soaking in the Parade or ride experience may get distracted by a non-stop string of "hello Bobby, hello Suzie, hello Cindy, hello Juan, hello File Not Found. :rolleyes2

Huh. I thought I was a 30 year old female. Thanks for setting me straight.

And I do have kids and I have said I couldn't wait to take them to Universal. I've been there and I love it.

and in response to Mad Hattered and Stefne...

Of course, I'm generalizing. But of my friends who have kids under the age of 6, they all are waiting to take them to DisneyWorld. The only people who want to go to Universal are the husbands and some teenagers.

Does this mean that absolutely zero 60 year olds are at Universal? Of course not. Does this mean that zero 2 year olds like Universal? Of course not. And does this mean that no 40 year olds like reading Harry Potter? No, it doesn't.

What I think I am right about is, and someone articulated this earlier, that WDW has the ability to appeal to all generations at the same time...hence a FAMILY vacation. This is what Walt wanted. He didn't just want a screaming, roller-coaster amusement park!

My 65 year old parents live 1.5 hours away from WDW. I can promise you that they will NEVER go to Universal. They would have no interest in the coasters or thrill rides and won't be bothered to pay for those tickets. But do they go to Food and Wine every year?! Yes they do! Do they visit WDW every spring when my sister brings her family down? Yes they do. Someone please tell me why anyone over the age of 60 would be interested in Universal? No, seriously....anyone?

I would probably enjoy going to USF and IoA for two days. I doubt I would ever go back, though. Since I own DVC and have an AP, why would I spend all that money to leave WDW at all?
I used to LOVE Bob Marley and the Simpsons. No, I mean A LOT. From the time I was 16-25, easily these were my two favorite things. Has the inclusion of either of those at Universal gotten me there yet? Nope. It would be hundreds of dollars extra for me to get a cab, or rent a car, or stay over at their resorts, plus two days worth of tickets...and for what? A Simpson ride and a Marley cafe? No thanks.

I didn't read Harry Potter. And I don't think the next generation of tweens is going to get into it as much as this generation did. So it won't be the draw that it is today. Star Wars is exactly the opposite. Three movies were made in 1970s and 80s, capturing me in my youth and my parents in their prime. THEN, they released three more movies between 1999 and 2003 - capturing me in my prime, my parents for the nostalgia, and the new generation in their youth. NOW, they're going to release even more movies! I think you get my point. Star Wars was my favorite movie when I was 5 years old. It was my nephew favorite when he was 5. He is currently 9....

Harry Potter books were released from 1997-2007, and movies from 2001-2011. It captured pretty much the same generation over that 15 year span. (Honestly, they would have been smart to just start making the movies now, as it would have sparked an renewed interest in the books among younger people + all the original readers would want to see it.)

But Harry Potter is done. There are no more books, there are no more movies. The kids who read those books may or may not pass them down to their own kids. And again, I do not feel that some family 20 years from now is going to take their kids all the way to USF just for an attraction about a book that wouldn't have been relevant in 15 years!

But they will for Star Wars...

The more I think about this, with the number of people in an attraction vehicle, parade watching space or whatever, personalization could be fraught with negative unintended consequences. The dirty looks and comments people receive in the FP line from those in SB will be mild in comparison.

Not to mention, those who are soaking in the Parade or ride experience may get distracted by a non-stop string of "hello Bobby, hello Suzie, hello Cindy, hello Juan, hello File Not Found. :rolleyes2

Doesn't it sound wonderful!! :rolleyes:

Sounds like Disney is wanting to change the way people see the parks. Now instead of guest coming home and talking about the unexpected magical thing that happened; they go in expecting something magical to happen. That seems like a huge task for Disney to do. And more chance of a family coming away feeling like they were cheated. And I ask, how magical is it when you expect it to happen?

Sounds like Disney is wanting to change the way people see the parks. Now instead of guest coming home and talking about the unexpected magical thing that happened; they go in expecting something magical to happen. That seems like a huge task for Disney to do. And more chance of a family coming away feeling like they were cheated. And I ask, how magical is it when you expect it to happen?

Exactly. It won't be "you'll never guess what happened to little Tim at WDW!" it will become "you'll never guess what I arranged for little Tim to get!"

And yes, I can imagine a lot of families coming home a little disappointed that their child didn't get a personalised experience at that ride where another kid did, for whatever reason. I mean, will only one kid per on each vehicle or boat get it? Or is there going to be that constant stream of people as a PP said? "Hello Tim, Suzie, James, Christopher, Sophie..." ugh. Man that would get annoying fast.

Guaranteed and pre ordered Magic isn't really magic, is it? I guess the kids won't know any different. But some people are already pretty entitled to special treatment OR ELSE. This isn't really going to help... I can imagine the complaints and arguments now.

And really un-magical if you've paid for these extras by way of premium pluses (eg. a parade interaction or a customized IASW doll) and the technology glitches (which it clearly will at some point in time) and you don't get what you're expecting.

This whole thing just seems so complex to pull off consistently well.

And I agree with those who think we'd all tire pretty quickly of the barrage of customized greetings flying around at every turn.

Well, I must say, I do not agree with you regarding Harry Potter MichiganDVC. But only time will tell what kind of lasting power it has. Star Wars certainly has had it for sure, cant argue with that.

However, correct me If I'm wrong, but JK Rowling is still alive isnt she? And, she's not 100 years old is she? I mean, there is no telling what could be coming in the future.......

Well I just had a talk with my mother about all this (she was convinced it wasn't happening full stop) and showed her the articles on personalisation and using your phone more etc and it looks like she won't be going back anytime soon if this comes into force.

As she put it seems tailor made for "a certain class" of guest, excludes the others and will probably hurt our style of touring if it does go ahead. I asked her if she would have used this when we were kids, and nope. Just doesn't look to be any good for us.

So, it looks like if this is how it works at rollout, some of you uber planners will have less competition for fastpasses than before. There's a bit of good news for you! ;) I'm going to look for some alternate destinations in case this does go ahead. I'll keep searching in hope that this is going to change, but I don't think so.

Well I just had a talk with my mother about all this (she was convinced it wasn't happening full stop) and showed her the articles on personalisation and using your phone more etc and it looks like she won't be going back anytime soon if this comes into force.

As she put it seems tailor made for "a certain class" of guest, excludes the others and will probably hurt our style of touring if it does go ahead. I asked her if she would have used this when we were kids, and nope. Just doesn't look to be any good for us.

So, it looks like if this is how it works at rollout, some of you uber planners will have less competition for fastpasses than before. There's a bit of good news for you! ;) I'm going to look for some alternate destinations in case this does go ahead. I'll keep searching in hope that this is going to change, but I don't think so.

Good news for us! One fewer person to have to compete with for FPs!

Seems like kind of an overreaction. :confused3

Customized Magic Bands = $45
Reserved Premium Parade Seating = $75
Personalized Interactive Parade Experience = $150

THIS ^^^^ PRICELESS!!! :rotfl2:

hehehehehe

And squidgyness, dont get too depressed. We really acually have so little concrete info, its all just a speculation game right now. You have to keep it in perspective!

C - Could be some internal dissent over what this will be.

Also, can anyone else imagine a family with a little boy going through it's a small world and...

"Here it comes! We got a surprise for you Christopher!"

Then you see the little doll and it says...

"HELLO LAUREN." or "HELLO <RESERVATION NOT FOUND>"

ET at US had this 15 years ago, probably still do.

But Harry Potter is done. There are no more books, there are no more movies. The kids who read those books may or may not pass them down to their own kids. And again, I do not feel that some family 20 years from now is going to take their kids all the way to USF just for an attraction about a book that wouldn't have been relevant in 15 years!

Books like Harry Potter may not be timeless, but this series will certainly be relevant for many decades to come. Just as children that like science fiction still enjoy Ender's Game, so will those who prefer fantasy like Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings series. This series has more readers than any other in HISTORY, and more copies are sold every day. So far, more than 450 million copies have been sold (half again more than any other book series), and it has been printed in 67 different languages.

Consider that the NY Times changed the way that it manages its Best Sellers list TWICE because of the Harry Potter books. Why? Because the books dominated the top spots on its lists for too long. After more than 18 months holding at least the top 3 spots, the NY Times added a children's books category to make room for other novels. But the Harry Potter books similarly dominated that list, so they soon created a "series" list under children's books.

For more than a decade, the Harry Potter books dominated book sales all over the world. I think it is here to stay, and that our grandchildren, and great grandchildren will love the books as much as our children (and many of us) did.

Good news for us! One fewer person to have to compete with for FPs!

Seems like kind of an overreaction. :confused3

Perhaps it is.

But given that we can't prebook rides, wouldn't want to, and couldn't care less about personalising anything or even carrying our phones on us, this system doesn't seem geared up to benefit us, does it?

If it doesn't hurt our style of touring, then fine we will still go back. But if you can't get decent fastpasses without prebooking, and all this personalisation stuff gets spouted at you if you are in the same area of the ride, I'm not going back.

I would say I was only going to US and SW, but with a 4000 mile, 8 hour flight and 5 hour time difference, anything less than 2 weeks is just not worth it. I don't think I could fill 2 weeks with either just WDW or US/IOA. Maybe 8-9 days at a push.

I don't think it's an overreaction to not patronise a business that has not only not improved my experience but harmed it. If it doesn't harm it, I'll still go back, but for the new things at US/SW. Nor do I think it is an overreaction for having a backup destination just in case the worst does happen. Your views may differ, but you don't take my trips ;)

I'll be keeping an eye out for what my fellow international travellers do in response to this. My mother has friends that tour in a similar style to us every few years, I'll wait for their reports before deciding anything permanent, but that neccesitates a lot of waiting. Possibly years. Trips to WDW just don't fall out of the trees, and I'm not going to take one till I know I can get a good enough experience compared to the last time we went.

And you should beware the "more FP for us!" thinking, because if you get what you want and people don't take this up and spend more money because of it, Disney will be looking to recoup its investment somewhere.

I just listened to the D11 interview with Tom Staggs. Fascinating for the fact he said so little. If you have 28 minutes, it's worth watching.

He explained how great the magicband will be because it can personalize a ride...then admitted (under his breath) that they have not installed any personal experiences in the rides, but they could. So, that isn't really a benefit then? :confused3

He pretended to be very surprised and impressed by the fact that people in tests of FP+ are scheduling things like fireworks -- not just rides. Uhm, ...people are scheduling things Disney has picked out as possibilities, not organically choosing things out of their imagination. And in all likelihood without risk during testing of losing other FPs. If I could use traditional FP as I do now AND add fireworks viewing, I would too. That isn't going to be the choice (almost certainly).

Also, the media is now saying "six years in the making." I can see where the $1B comes from: functional allocation of money already spent on normal activity.

and in response to Mad Hattered and Stefne...

Of course, I'm generalizing. But of my friends who have kids under the age of 6, they all are waiting to take them to DisneyWorld. The only people who want to go to Universal are the husbands and some teenagers.

Does this mean that absolutely zero 60 year olds are at Universal? Of course not. Does this mean that zero 2 year olds like Universal? Of course not. And does this mean that no 40 year olds like reading Harry Potter? No, it doesn't.

What I think I am right about is, and someone articulated this earlier, that WDW has the ability to appeal to all generations at the same time...hence a FAMILY vacation. This is what Walt wanted. He didn't just want a screaming, roller-coaster amusement park!

My 65 year old parents live 1.5 hours away from WDW. I can promise you that they will NEVER go to Universal. They would have no interest in the coasters or thrill rides and won't be bothered to pay for those tickets. But do they go to Food and Wine every year?! Yes they do! Do they visit WDW every spring when my sister brings her family down? Yes they do. Someone please tell me why anyone over the age of 60 would be interested in Universal? No, seriously....anyone?

I would probably enjoy going to USF and IoA for two days. I doubt I would ever go back, though. Since I own DVC and have an AP, why would I spend all that money to leave WDW at all?
I used to LOVE Bob Marley and the Simpsons. No, I mean A LOT. From the time I was 16-25, easily these were my two favorite things. Has the inclusion of either of those at Universal gotten me there yet? Nope. It would be hundreds of dollars extra for me to get a cab, or rent a car, or stay over at their resorts, plus two days worth of tickets...and for what? A Simpson ride and a Marley cafe? No thanks.

I didn't read Harry Potter. And I don't think the next generation of tweens is going to get into it as much as this generation did. So it won't be the draw that it is today. Star Wars is exactly the opposite. Three movies were made in 1970s and 80s, capturing me in my youth and my parents in their prime. THEN, they released three more movies between 1999 and 2003 - capturing me in my prime, my parents for the nostalgia, and the new generation in their youth. NOW, they're going to release even more movies! I think you get my point. Star Wars was my favorite movie when I was 5 years old. It was my nephew favorite when he was 5. He is currently 9....

Harry Potter books were released from 1997-2007, and movies from 2001-2011. It captured pretty much the same generation over that 15 year span. (Honestly, they would have been smart to just start making the movies now, as it would have sparked an renewed interest in the books among younger people + all the original readers would want to see it.)

This is what I wanted to say but just didn't have the time to type all this. Great job !!:)

Also, the media is now saying "six years in the making."

At least. I believe the "testing" started with the Dream Fastpasses from the (Two-and-a-half) Year Of A Million Dreams promotion which started in 2006. Then in 2009 came the Birthday Fastpass option, followed by the nearly-identical Give A Disney Day Fastpass option, which started the tiered selections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter