1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by PrettyFlower2, Apr 24, 2013.

1. doggydoc

doggydoc It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusias

I think you are forgetting that EMH is a big perk for staying on-site. What is Disney going to replace it with to encourage on-site stays?

Wow that's a whole lot of magic from 3 measly FP's per guest. You are forgetting that people stand in line 2 hours for SM because THEY WANT TO RIDE SM. This despite FP's being available to them if they just took the time to figure it out or be patient enough to wait for the FP window.

:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Mostly cuz I love Mustangs!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Robo

Robo 1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!

Nothing else is as relevant as this.

If the idea is to TEASE unsuspecting first-timer guests into taking a FP+ AAR (Advance Attraction Reservation) on Monday for the Tiki Room, and then those guests SEE the Tiki Room... they ain't gonna be so ready to give up their Shamu the Whale day to come back to Disney on Tuesday to Epcot just because that have a FP+ to ride Figment for 6 excruciating minutes.

There needs to be SUBSTANCE to make guests "Disney-Happy."

"UNDER-Promise/OVER-Deliver."

4. Rileygirl

Rileygirl DIS Veteran

edited to delete

5. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

Some people have mentioned being offered Stitch. All I know is that offering Stitch to unwary guests might just be a disaster. Could they really afford to annoy that many people? ;)

I hate the idea of only being able to get one of these per day. I worry that the standby lines will be even longer due to these limitations.

6. doggydoc

No offense to bcrook, he's done a great deal to further this discussion and pass out actual information, but his numbers are very speculative.

Unless I am a complete outlier there is going to HAVE to be more than 3 FP's per day to make me happy. If I am not an outlier, then a member of a minority I may be, but it is a VERY vocal minority that has been Disney cheerleaders for years. If the internet has taught us anything it is that a vocal minority can absolutely make a significant impact on a business.

7. mom2rtk

mom2rtk DIS Veteran

Hey Rileygirl! You've been leading a great conversation today! This has been one of the better FP+ discussions in a while.

The figures all sound fine and dandy. But it presupposes a HUGE limitation in E-ticket FP access over the current system. Even if they "gift" me with an extra here and there, I'm still not going to be a happy camper. Surely I'm not alone in this. They can fix it all up in a fancy hi-tech package, but in the end it's all about ride access to me.

I get it. They don't care if they lose me. Which is why I wait and watch. And am happy I didn't take my husband seriously when he suggested checking out DVC.

It is fascinating to watch it all unfold though, if for no other reason than just to see if they can pull it off.

8. mom2mickeyfan

mom2mickeyfan DIS Veteran

My point wasn't the number of FP+s there will be but that if day trippers and non planners get the same options (which I believe they should) as those of us that book 60 days out, how is this going to help Disney disperse the crowds to those areas where there aren't that many FP+s booked? One of your main points was how Disney will be able to use this system to "push" those non planners into the areas that are less crowded. That can't totally be true if they will get the same options even in the quick picks as those that booked at 60 days out.

9. monorailrabbit

monorailrabbit Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

You are most certainly not alone in this! I just am hoping there is more to this than 3 with the chance to get more. And even if I do get offered more, Stitch would not be something I am interested in. Unless some of the magical ones I am surprised with are one of the mountains or Peter Pan, I'm not sure how this would benefit me... Boy I sound greedy! :duck:

10. Rileygirl

Rileygirl DIS Veteran

edited to delete

11. MichiganDVC

MichiganDVC Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-co

I can't articulate how much I disagree. What "first-time" guest has a clue about FP+? Actually, they probably know more than we do because while we're here speculating about 1,000 scenarios that COULD happen but probably never will, they are happily going about their lives...

12. Robo

Why would a first-timer be happier with their 2 chump FP's than an experienced guest
    (after they have seen the chump attractions?)

13. Robo

Can you please re-read my post (and do so in relation to the post to which I referred and quoted?)

Sorry, but I can't see how your remark relates to what I said.

14. Rileygirl

Rileygirl DIS Veteran

You know I hear ya mom2rtk.
    And its true, I am totally worried as well.

We havent even touched the other whole thing regarding what might woo us, the dis vet. Im not going to get into it tonight, Its another can of worms, and maybe more controversial then the other stuff I have mentioned. My fingers are too tired!

Doggydoc
    I would invite you to read this thread if you havent already.
    http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3054568&highlight=fast+pass+capacity
    This gives the whole thought process regarding the potential numbers. Yes its speculation, but I think BCROOK did an excellent job on it.

Mom2Mickeyfan
    Another good point. However, my counter point is : who the heck will have figured this out that even if you leap at your 60 day window, you dont need to. Not the average person I dont think. Not the average off site person I dont think. So although its not really a perk, its percieved to be one.

15. mom2mickeyfan

mom2mickeyfan DIS Veteran

I don't think his point had anything to do with wheather a "first-time" guest will have a clue about FP+ but that after Disney "pushes" them into rides that us planners don't want to book FP+s for so that they may "disperse" the crowds, they will walk not being very happy. Top that with now they are in a SB line for 2 or 3 hours for Space or Splash Mountain and wondering why Disney didn't give THEM a FP+ for that ride instead. Not the greatest word of mouth about that when they get home. What it would do is make those guest book their FP+s before they arrive IF they decide to give Disney another try.

16. MichiganDVC

MichiganDVC Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-co

Here's what I know while knowing nothing...

1. We have no clue how many fastpasses anyone will get on any given day for any given ride based on the resort you stay in.

2. There are more people in the world, therefore more days when MK and other parks will reach near-max capacity. This means longer lines and less FPs. If Space Mountain really makes or breaks your vacation, get there 8:30am and ride it first. Save your allotted FP for your 2nd E-ticket ride and stand in line for the 3rd.

3. HM + POTC+ JC does = happiness for me! These are my must rides! No MK visit is complete without these. Sure, BTMR is fun, but it doesn't compare to Pirates.

I guess I don't get it. BTMR is a semi-thrill ride with minimal backstory. So is Splash MT. You can get similar, and better, thrills at your local Six Flags. But Pirates....Haunted Mansion....this is what makes Disney special!

And for those people who claim that they can only come to WDW every 5 years and must ride every e-ticket ride 7 times in order to enjoy their vacation: ... There is more to WDW than fast-moving coasters.

17. doggydoc

Sorry, I'm not mad at all, I actually enjoy a good debate. I seem to have a rather terse way of posting. I think it is due to typing out medical records all day where I am trying to deliver the most information in the fewest words possible

Very nebulous and speculative. People have plenty of economic incentive to stay off-site, they will need something more concrete to encourage them to pay extra to stay on-site.

3 FP's will encompass about 15 minutes of the average guests day. The rest of the time will be spent sweating in the SB line. If Disney is hoping to pull off the kind of control you are suggesting it will be the biggest IT coup in history.

18. doggydoc

Oh I've been on these threads since the beginning and read that post when it was posted. You can't do an excellent job without actual hard numbers which bcrook doesn't have access to. I could make up a bunch of numbers to support any conclusion I want.

19. Rileygirl

Rileygirl DIS Veteran

I obviously also enjoy a good debate.

I humbly disagree with you regarding 3 fp's taking 15 minutes. You know what I am going to say. Disney is going to set up the system so that the 'pre bookers' time line will be spread out. So, a fp at Hm at 10:30. then maybe their CS got prebooked: look cold burgers at Pecos. Yum. Then maybe Splash at 3 pm. In between, they may take in another attraction or too. And yes, I absolutely think this is a million times better then what they are doing now ROBO! And, guess what, all those people, those 80% that complained when we were in the fp line and they were waiting in the standby line. well guess what, disney let them in on the secret. When they walk on Space, they will be so proud and happy. And when they wait for BTMRR, they think, well, those people in the fp line must have picked this as their fp+, so they dont get angry waiting. And if they score another fp on the suprise and amaze feature, you dont think they will love the system?

Also doggydoc, I dont think you are giving enough credit regarding the overall crowds both onsite and offsite being spread between 4 theme parks and 2 water parks. This will help lessen that space mountain standby time perhaps by a significant amount.

hmm, ok, as I typed that out, I dont think standby lines will actually be lessened at all, even if they equalize all people throughout the 6 parks.
    Bad argument.

My brain is fried. Time to tune off. Thanks everyone for the great debate. I got my fp fix.

Happy posting!

20. Robo

Something just doesn't feel right.

21. g-dad66

g-dad66 DIS Veteran

You are correct. No start date has been announced, and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If by "soon," you mean that your trip is in the next, say, 3 months, I think there is virtually no chance that FP+ will be up and running.