FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

Why I think EMH is on the way out:

I think you are forgetting that EMH is a big perk for staying on-site. What is Disney going to replace it with to encourage on-site stays?

THIS SYSTEM HAS THE BUILT IN ABILITY TO DISPERSE CROWDS ON MAXIMUM CAPACITY DAYS.

This is very subtle crowd control. And during non peak times, or regular park days, its a wonderful way to spread out the crowds between the 4 different parks to lessen the lines everywhere.

Wow that's a whole lot of magic from 3 measly FP's per guest. You are forgetting that people stand in line 2 hours for SM because THEY WANT TO RIDE SM. This despite FP's being available to them if they just took the time to figure it out or be patient enough to wait for the FP window.

If Disney does have it all figured out, why don't they come out with the details? Why did they start giving details and then abruptly stop?

Something changed or went wrong, and I don't think it is just a tech issue. Disney stopped trying to get people excited about all this, and it doesn't seem like a tech delay is a good enough reason.

:thumbsup2

It's the sensible thing to do, can you imagine ford just saying "yeah the new mustang is coming folks and its completely different it looks a little like this *vague picture*" then clamming up for months?

Something smells fishy...

:thumbsup2 Mostly cuz I love Mustangs!

Many many great points made here but one thing I think about is this. These families that have come in the park at 10:30 and then aren't happy because they end up in a Space line for 2 hours are going to be happy to be pushed into lesser rides to spread out the crowds for Disney? These same families have been coming into the parks at 10:30 for years and walking past the 5 minute wait for Stitch to get in that 2 hour Space line. Why?? Because they want to ride Space. So will they be happy when they come into the park at 10:30 with no booked FP+s, do a quick pick in which Disney pushes them to lesser rides and then 3 hours later find themselves in a 3 hour SB line for Space?

Nothing else is as relevant as this.

If the idea is to TEASE unsuspecting first-timer guests into taking a FP+ AAR (Advance Attraction Reservation) on Monday for the Tiki Room, and then those guests SEE the Tiki Room... they ain't gonna be so ready to give up their Shamu the Whale day to come back to Disney on Tuesday to Epcot just because that have a FP+ to ride Figment for 6 excruciating minutes.

There needs to be SUBSTANCE to make guests "Disney-Happy."

"UNDER-Promise/OVER-Deliver."

Some people have mentioned being offered Stitch. All I know is that offering Stitch to unwary guests might just be a disaster. Could they really afford to annoy that many people? ;)

Space mountain - 21,000
Splash mountain - 15,000
Big thunder mountain - 18,000
Peter Pan - 6700
Little Mermaid 15120
I hate the idea of only being able to get one of these per day. I worry that the standby lines will be even longer due to these limitations.

Get the community to LOVE this new system and to grab as many as they are allowed, so they only have to do a few standby rides on any give day? (riding appointments as Mom2RTK likes to call it) yes.

And then we are hooked, like little monkeys on crack, then maybe extras become tied to resorts somehow as a perk.... or a pay for feature....

Just something to think about.

No offense to bcrook, he's done a great deal to further this discussion and pass out actual information, but his numbers are very speculative.

Unless I am a complete outlier there is going to HAVE to be more than 3 FP's per day to make me happy. If I am not an outlier, then a member of a minority I may be, but it is a VERY vocal minority that has been Disney cheerleaders for years. If the internet has taught us anything it is that a vocal minority can absolutely make a significant impact on a business.

Check it out. Under normal circumstances, disney will have no problem not only giving out a whack of extra fps on any given day, but will have a total of 30,000 of hot 'e' tickets left over on the day of.

And, why does the system have to dump the 30,000 e tickets in the system at 9 am. What if they spread that out over 8 hours. someone coming in at 11 could score space. or peter pan, or whatever.

And I really think that this points to the fact that there will be extra fast passes, at least for the MK. And what could disney do with those?

Improve everyones experience and happiness with this new program by firing the lot off to those that are in the park that day? Yes

Get the community to LOVE this new system and to grab as many as they are allowed, so they only have to do a few standby rides on any give day? (riding appointments as Mom2RTK likes to call it) yes.

And then we are hooked, like little monkeys on crack, then maybe extras become tied to resorts somehow as a perk.... or a pay for feature....

Hey Rileygirl! You've been leading a great conversation today! This has been one of the better FP+ discussions in a while.

The figures all sound fine and dandy. But it presupposes a HUGE limitation in E-ticket FP access over the current system. Even if they "gift" me with an extra here and there, I'm still not going to be a happy camper. Surely I'm not alone in this. They can fix it all up in a fancy hi-tech package, but in the end it's all about ride access to me.

I get it. They don't care if they lose me. Which is why I wait and watch. And am happy I didn't take my husband seriously when he suggested checking out DVC.

It is fascinating to watch it all unfold though, if for no other reason than just to see if they can pull it off.

No worries Mom2mickeyfan

I like it when people point out issues. It makes me rethink stuff. And there are plenty of holes in my arguments for sure.

I am going to threaten you with dam statistics though. I will go dig some calculations up that bcrook did a while back.

Here it is
Magic kingdom total fastpass plus -

E-ticket FP+ allotment
Space mountain - 21,000
Splash mountain - 15,000
Big thunder mountain - 18,000
Peter Pan - 6700
Little Mermaid 15120
Total - 80,000 @ 60% FP+ distribution and 14 hours Mine train (another 18,000?)

Second tier allotment
Pirates of Caribbean - 20,000
Haunted Mansion - 30,240
Ranger Spin - 7500
Winnie the Pooh - 6700
Jungle Cruise - 15,000
Monsters Inc laugh floor - 10,000
Dumbo - 10,000
Flying carpets 7500
Barnstormer - 7500
Mickeys philarmagic -3,000
Totals. - 120,000

Enchanted Tales with Belle - 1000
Other meet and greets - 2500
Parades - 2000
Fireworks - 1000
Quick service meals - 1000
Total - 7,500

If 50,000 people are in MK and there is a 210,000 FP+ capacity.
50,000 e tickets limit one per person
100,000 minor attractions. Limit two per person.

That leaves 30,000 left over e tickets FP and 27,500 minor FP available. Once everyone is switched over to the FP+ system.

Check it out. Under normal circumstances, disney will have no problem not only giving out a whack of extra fps on any given day, but will have a total of 30,000 of hot 'e' tickets left over on the day of.

And, why does the system have to dump the 30,000 e tickets in the system at 9 am. What if they spread that out over 8 hours. someone coming in at 11 could score space. or peter pan, or whatever.

And I really think that this points to the fact that there will be extra fast passes, at least for the MK. And what could disney do with those?

Improve everyones experience and happiness with this new program by firing the lot off to those that are in the park that day? Yes

My point wasn't the number of FP+s there will be but that if day trippers and non planners get the same options (which I believe they should) as those of us that book 60 days out, how is this going to help Disney disperse the crowds to those areas where there aren't that many FP+s booked? One of your main points was how Disney will be able to use this system to "push" those non planners into the areas that are less crowded. That can't totally be true if they will get the same options even in the quick picks as those that booked at 60 days out.

Hey Rileygirl! You've been leading a great conversation today! This has been one of the better FP+ discussions in a while.

The figures all sound fine and dandy. But it presupposes a HUGE limitation in E-ticket FP access over the current system. Even if they "gift" me with an extra here and there, I'm still not going to be a happy camper. Surely I'm not alone in this. They can fix it all up in a fancy hi-tech package, but in the end it's all about ride access to me.

I get it. They don't care if they lose me. Which is why I wait and watch. And am happy I didn't take my husband seriously when he suggested checking out DVC.

It is fascinating to watch it all unfold though, if for no other reason than just to see if they can pull it off.

You are most certainly not alone in this! I just am hoping there is more to this than 3 with the chance to get more. And even if I do get offered more, Stitch would not be something I am interested in. Unless some of the magical ones I am surprised with are one of the mountains or Peter Pan, I'm not sure how this would benefit me... Boy I sound greedy! :duck:

Nothing else is as relevant as this.

If the idea is to TEASE unsuspecting first-timer guests into taking a FP+ AAR (Advance Attraction Reservation) on Monday for the Tiki Room, and then those guests SEE the Tiki Room... they ain't gonna be so ready to give up their Shamu the Whale day to come back to Disney on Tuesday to Epcot just because that have a FP+ to ride Figment for 6 excruciating minutes.

There needs to be SUBSTANCE to make guests "Disney-Happy."

I can't articulate how much I disagree. What "first-time" guest has a clue about FP+? Actually, they probably know more than we do because while we're here speculating about 1,000 scenarios that COULD happen but probably never will, they are happily going about their lives...

Robo

I think the way they tiered the system will make sure that the average joe gets a good fast pass, and then two medicore ones. They will be happier in my opinion for sure.

The more relevant aspect is: are we going to be happy with space, HM and Jungle cruise. And the obvious answer is not. Because in the old system, we didnt need a fp for JC or HM. Under this new system, we probably will

And that sucks.

Why would a first-timer be happier with their 2 chump FP's than an experienced guest
(after they have seen the chump attractions?)

I can't articulate how much I disagree. What "first-time" guest has a clue about FP+? Actually, they probably know more than we do because while we're here speculating about 1,000 scenarios that COULD happen but probably never will, they are happily going about their lives...

Can you please re-read my post (and do so in relation to the post to which I referred and quoted?)

Sorry, but I can't see how your remark relates to what I said.

You know I hear ya mom2rtk.
And its true, I am totally worried as well.

We havent even touched the other whole thing regarding what might woo us, the dis vet. Im not going to get into it tonight, Its another can of worms, and maybe more controversial then the other stuff I have mentioned. My fingers are too tired!

Doggydoc
I would invite you to read this thread if you havent already.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3054568&highlight=fast+pass+capacity
This gives the whole thought process regarding the potential numbers. Yes its speculation, but I think BCROOK did an excellent job on it.

Mom2Mickeyfan
Another good point. However, my counter point is : who the heck will have figured this out that even if you leap at your 60 day window, you dont need to. Not the average person I dont think. Not the average off site person I dont think. So although its not really a perk, its percieved to be one.

I don't think his point had anything to do with wheather a "first-time" guest will have a clue about FP+ but that after Disney "pushes" them into rides that us planners don't want to book FP+s for so that they may "disperse" the crowds, they will walk not being very happy. Top that with now they are in a SB line for 2 or 3 hours for Space or Splash Mountain and wondering why Disney didn't give THEM a FP+ for that ride instead. Not the greatest word of mouth about that when they get home. What it would do is make those guest book their FP+s before they arrive IF they decide to give Disney another try.

Here's what I know while knowing nothing...

1. We have no clue how many fastpasses anyone will get on any given day for any given ride based on the resort you stay in.

2. There are more people in the world, therefore more days when MK and other parks will reach near-max capacity. This means longer lines and less FPs. If Space Mountain really makes or breaks your vacation, get there 8:30am and ride it first. Save your allotted FP for your 2nd E-ticket ride and stand in line for the 3rd.

3. HM + POTC+ JC does = happiness for me! These are my must rides! No MK visit is complete without these. Sure, BTMR is fun, but it doesn't compare to Pirates.

I guess I don't get it. BTMR is a semi-thrill ride with minimal backstory. So is Splash MT. You can get similar, and better, thrills at your local Six Flags. But Pirates....Haunted Mansion....this is what makes Disney special!

And for those people who claim that they can only come to WDW every 5 years and must ride every e-ticket ride 7 times in order to enjoy their vacation: ... There is more to WDW than fast-moving coasters.

Doggydoc

You always sound so mad to me. I hope you are not mad, and that I have not pissed you off. Not at all my intent.

Sorry, I'm not mad at all, I actually enjoy a good debate. I seem to have a rather terse way of posting. I think it is due to typing out medical records all day where I am trying to deliver the most information in the fewest words possible

How will fp+ replace EMH? Well, I think that Disney believes this will be a much better and desireable method of operating, that it will 'work' for the majority, and use certain perks eventually that are linked to fp+ to be the incentive, rather then emh.
When E nights were gotten rid of, there was a huge howling of protest I seem to remember. People were upset. That dam EMH cant replace E nights! thats a terrible idea. Will never work.

Very nebulous and speculative. People have plenty of economic incentive to stay off-site, they will need something more concrete to encourage them to pay extra to stay on-site.

3 fast passes can be very efficient crowd control. If they are spread out appropriately. and, its not that its just 3 fast passes, but its 180 thousand people spread out between 4 6 parks, scheduled for either mornings or afternoons that will be the effective crowd control. Not sure I can spell out my theory any better.
Ykwim?

3 FP's will encompass about 15 minutes of the average guests day. The rest of the time will be spent sweating in the SB line. If Disney is hoping to pull off the kind of control you are suggesting it will be the biggest IT coup in history.

Doggydoc
I would invite you to read this thread if you havent already.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3054568&highlight=fast+pass+capacity
This gives the whole thought process regarding the potential numbers. Yes its speculation, but I think BCROOK did an excellent job on it.

Oh I've been on these threads since the beginning and read that post when it was posted. You can't do an excellent job without actual hard numbers which bcrook doesn't have access to. I could make up a bunch of numbers to support any conclusion I want.

I obviously also enjoy a good debate.

I humbly disagree with you regarding 3 fp's taking 15 minutes. You know what I am going to say. Disney is going to set up the system so that the 'pre bookers' time line will be spread out. So, a fp at Hm at 10:30. then maybe their CS got prebooked: look cold burgers at Pecos. Yum. Then maybe Splash at 3 pm. In between, they may take in another attraction or too. And yes, I absolutely think this is a million times better then what they are doing now ROBO! And, guess what, all those people, those 80% that complained when we were in the fp line and they were waiting in the standby line. well guess what, disney let them in on the secret. When they walk on Space, they will be so proud and happy. And when they wait for BTMRR, they think, well, those people in the fp line must have picked this as their fp+, so they dont get angry waiting. And if they score another fp on the suprise and amaze feature, you dont think they will love the system?

Also doggydoc, I dont think you are giving enough credit regarding the overall crowds both onsite and offsite being spread between 4 theme parks and 2 water parks. This will help lessen that space mountain standby time perhaps by a significant amount.

hmm, ok, as I typed that out, I dont think standby lines will actually be lessened at all, even if they equalize all people throughout the 6 parks.
Bad argument.

My brain is fried. Time to tune off. Thanks everyone for the great debate. I got my fp fix.

Happy posting!

Hi everyone! I am confused about FP+. Will be heading to Disney soon! My understanding is that the new fastpass system is not up and running for all guests yet. Is that correct? Worried they will begin using it right before we get there and I won't know it started. From the posts I've read it seems like there isn't a definite start date yet.

You are correct. No start date has been announced, and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If by "soon," you mean that your trip is in the next, say, 3 months, I think there is virtually no chance that FP+ will be up and running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts