FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by PrettyFlower2, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Brave teacher

Brave teacher DIS Veteran

I have a Galaxy S3...never had an issue with it. Everything has always showed up. No problems for me on my phone or computer.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Cinderumbrella

Cinderumbrella Wench

I have an iPad and an Android phone. Since some of the kinks were worked out after the initial roll out I have only had minor issues, and that was on the Apple verison. I was adding a ton of NOTES to MY PLANS and the App would frequently freeze and have to be shut down. However, all the info would be saved and there when I logged back in. (This was about a week ago). Annoying, but not enough to make me declare this version is useless.

HTH!

4. disneylove1021

disneylove1021 Earning My Ears

So...will Disney set up stations to charge our smart phones? I can't imagine my iPhone battery lasting a whole day if I must check MDE for FP+ and using it as I usually would. I would normally say "oh well" but if I needed it to store and lookup FP+ and it died, I would be frustrated. I don't go to Disney as often as most of you so maybe there already is a place to charge phones but I'd be surprised if it was free. Just a thought...but hey, first world problems, right?

5. LilMommyBug

LilMommyBug <font color=red>Is Definitely a Redhead<br><font

Same here.

6. Crickey

Crickey Mouseketeer

What about us people from the UK with smart phones because If we turn on phones on when we are over in the US we incur massive chargers

So this would mean we would not be able to use these features

7. penni520

penni520 Mouseketeer

Will someone please tell me all about this FP+ stuff. I do understand you will get 3 FP+ a day but how do you sign up for this? Do I need to tell my TA what rides I want each day? Help me understand

8. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

There is WiFi in all Disney parks and resorts now, so you'd never have to turn the cell service on on your smartphone to be able to access the new app.

9. bauer1168

bauer1168 DIS Veteran

There will also be kiosks in the parks which you can use to amend your pre-booked FP+ times if you don't want to use your phone too much

10. jade1

jade1 If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your luc

Us exact, but instead of "couple" its "family". :thumbsup2

11. RangerPooh

RangerPooh DIS Veteran

I asked about this at the MK this morning and they are testing, just not here today. The CM wasn't sure how people are being selected. He said that the other day it was at various resorts.

12. Cotillard

Cotillard Mouseketeer

We will be there in 33 days. I hope we can get in on the testing :cool1:

13. Robo

Robo 1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!

We don't know...

as the tests are not necessarily reflective of how the actual system will work when it actually becomes "live" for all guests.

14. awilliams4

awilliams4 DIS Veteran

You couldn't be anymore wrong on this in regards to us. This works perfectly for us. We vacation when we are on vacation, we don't get up at 5:00 a.m. and get squished together like cows at Rope Drop and hang out all day long like sweaty pigs at the parks. We always get to the parks right before dinner time. We haven't been on RnR for a couple years now because FPs are always gone. Sometimes when we stayed at BCV, we would get all members of our party to make a special trip to HS just so everyone's tickets would be used so one person can run over to RnR and get fast passes for later that evening. Then we would head back to the resort. That was a pretty painful way to get a FP for RnR. Less painful then suffering in the heat and smelling all the other Rope Droppers but still painful. Now we can vacation and get FP for RnR.

Before, if you wanted a good spot for a parade, you hand to waste several hours of your day 'holding a spot', only to have others jump right into your spot once the parade started.....sometimes causing heated discussions, resentment and an overall dumbing down of your enjoyment. Now you can just reserve a spot.

Before you had to have runners run from one side of the park to the other getting FP in 100 degree heat, that is REAL fun on vacation. Now you don't.

I can come up with many other benefits.

Sorry, you are mistaken.

15. livibug

livibug Mouseketeer

Heres the thing.. you are both right.. some like the early mornings some dont.. some like planning, some dont. There is no wrong way. You do what you want to do and I will do what I want to do. Thats what makes it great - we are all not sheep of the same way.

16. livibug

livibug Mouseketeer

There are some "charging" stations - aka plugs in convenient locations at the new fantasy land bathroom area.. I think I have seen it referred to as U.R.I.N.E by some :) They are supposedly adding usb power plugs there as well at some point. However, there are several $40 and under battery packs out there that can charge the phone 2 and 3 times over. Anker makes the Astro which is small and able to juice an iphone 3.75 times. They also make a smaller version that will give you 1-2 charges.

17. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

FP+ does not cost anything extra, except for those with one day passes, I believe Disney has said they will need to buy the wristbands. As for paper FPs, I would definitely expect them to disappear eventually in favor of FP+. What I think will end up happening is you can get 3 FP+ per day ahead of time, then additional FPs during the day, with similar rules as to what is now in place.

18. superdisneydork

superdisneydork Mouseketeer

THAT would be fantastic, I would love that, and it would allow people to easily get their headliners without too much hassle, it really seems like the perfect compromise.

So, that's probably not what's going to happen! :rolleyes:

Matt

19. MrRomance

MrRomance Planning and Plotting

I don't think it is something for "over planners", I plan but I don't consider myself an over planner and I can see many benefits to the FP+ system. The whole purpose the system has been designed is to improve guest experience, and I'll elaborate on that further in a moment.

If the indicators are correct (and by that I mean the terms and conditions that have been made available to read) you won't be able to use the regular FP machines. It will be an either or choice. Either you stick with the old system (while it remains in place which won't be forever) or you go with FP+ and you book your FP's at the kiosk or on your device using the app. So there won't be a runner as such. You will either have the attraction booked using FP+, in which case, no run required OR you'll be on the old system, in which case you won't have the band.

Ok, now back to the other stuff... As a Disney shareholder, I listened to the live Q2 Financials conference call. 2 important pieces of information to take away from it were that they said very clearly that they expect to recovering the cost of MyMagic+ in Q1 2014. For them to be recovering the costs from it, it has to be up and running. The suggestion was that it will be rolled out completely by the end of the year.

Now to answer the questions about how it will benefit guests, there was more interesting information during that conference call that sheds some light on this. The entire system was designed with 3 objectives in mind.

1. To keep guests out of lines.
    2. To keep guests out of the rival parks and staying longer.
    3. To streamline and improve efficiency within the parks.

When you're talking about FP, the new system has been designed to be better than the existing system at keeping people out of lines for attractions. From that I think it is safe to say that they are not going to spend the kind of money and end up with a system that will make us all stay in line longer.

No one knows the full details yet and all the guessing doesn't help matters, but I think there is a lot of people getting very stressed and upset about the new system simply because they've "mastered" the current system and fear the unknown. Think about it like this, the same feelings and worries existed when computers started to replace typewriters, but everyone adapted and the world didn't end! :rotfl2:

20. superdisneydork

superdisneydork Mouseketeer

Yeah, now we can sit around all day and complain about other new things instead of typing up the documents we're supposed to be writing ;)

Totally an improvement... Really :)

In all seriousness, I think you're right, but from an engineering standpoint, I know how sometimes good intentions can really backfire, and the sketchy information is suggesting there is a big backfire coming, I think that is why people are worried. After all, there is a big difference between intended impact of a system change and actual impact :rolleyes2.

Matt

21. cinderellamom123

cinderellamom123 Mouseketeer

I'm with you. When given a choice, will not use FP+ as it will not work with park hopping and limit FP to 3 per day. We use way more than that.