"Formal" Dress on Magic Last Week

FOJMO

<font color=red>If English is the official languag
I will have to say, that on Semi-Formal night and Formal night on the Magic last week, we saw ALL KINDS!

There were, thankfully, a majority of people who looked beautiful -- tuxes, suits, formal dresses (short and long).

But, as usual, there were those with SHORTS on (and denim ones, too boot) and tank tops! Unbelievable! I wish these people would go to Topsiders if they feel they need to dress that way. Not even an effort -- more than likely, it was some sort of protest statement, or they could have at least had slacks and a collared shirt on... IMHO.

Originally posted by FOJMO

But, as usual, there were those with SHORTS on (and denim ones, too boot) and tank tops! Unbelievable! I wish these people would go to Topsiders if they feel they need to dress that way. Not even an effort -- more than likely, it was some sort of protest statement, or they could have at least had slacks and a collared shirt on... IMHO.

Was this IN the dining rooms? I'm guessing so since you said they could go to Topsiders if they felt like dressing that way and apparently did not choose to.

I can see why Disney doesn't enforce the "suggested" dress codes, but it's still disappointing.

Julie

This was IN the dining rooms! Didn't seem to phase them one bit!

I wish there were some way DCL could enforce these guidelines, but because they are just recommended guidelines, it's probably hard to, without causing a scene.

when people dress "down" to the dining rooms on formal night, it really ruins the experience for the rest of us who consider these nights special...

no class!

Did you notice if there were many tuxes on the semi-formal night? DH would like to wear tux on both semi-formal and formal and I understand that some do that, but wondered if he would be out of place.
Thanks!

Originally posted by kmc33
Did you notice if there were many tuxes on the semi-formal night? DH would like to wear tux on both semi-formal and formal and I understand that some do that, but wondered if he would be out of place.
Thanks!

He would be no more out of place than those in tank tops! :p

Seriously, on our 5/10 Western, there were plenty of men wearing tux on the semi-formal night. So many people were dressed up that I thought I had the wrong schedule for a while (of course, there were people wearing shorts and t-shirts as well). I wore the same dark suits on both nights.

:rolleyes:

I agree that it was sometimes hard to tell the difference between semi-formal and formal nights because some people dressed up a LOT on each night.

Yes, I saw guys wearing tuxes on both nights. My DH, though, only wore his on formal night.

By the way, we got my DH's tux on Ebay!

Originally posted by FOJMO
Yes, I saw guys wearing tuxes on both nights. My DH, though, only wore his on formal night.

If you don't mind my asking, what did he wear on semi-formal night? I'm thinking of only wearing my tux on formal night and a suit the other night. I know the answer is that would be okay, just curious what other men who wore tuxes one night and not the other wore instead.

well, I agree with everyone... formal & semi-formal should be just that... not SHORTS & Tank tops!!

They "enforce" the Palo rule (No Children), why can't they suggest and enforce the suggestion formal/semi-formal?? it's not a hard concept... formal night?? dress up.... semi-formal--dress up but not quite as much as formal night? get the concept?

resort casual---every other time!!, still not a hard concept. I understand people are on vacation and want to relax, OK, then don't go to the formal night in your SHORTS!!! again, not a hard concept.

JMO, and I have my flame-retardant suit on in case there are people who think I'm the weirdest person they've ever met!!!!

Thanks, Jeanny :wave:

Just had to add my two pence...been on the Wonder twice and even though there was no formal night I dressed "formal" (long gown) and my honey wore his tux the night we went to Palo. He wore it one other night when I wore a black cocktail dress and rhinestones to Triton's...we were definitely "overdressed" for Triton's, but you wouldn't believe how many people came up to us to tell us how nice we looked. While walking back to our stateroom some people even took pictures of us! The cruise was so special to us (celebrating engagement) we wanted to dress up for dinner each night even though it wasn't necessary. In fact, we'd shopped for our dress-up cruise clothes months before (to get stuff on sale) and having a venue to wear clothes like that was one of our great delights. We're going on the Magic next year and will certainly dress up on formal and semi formal nights and probably some other nights, too, but mostly because we enjoy getting all sparkly for each other. There aren't that many occasions to WEAR dress-up clothes, so we weren't about to pass it up. We wore comfortable clothes all day, so it wasn't difficult to climb into heels and a bowtie for a few hours--plus it made us feel like millionaires...

:-)

I think a lot of people get excited about dressing up for the cruise because the don't do it a lot. I haven't found a job yet that lets me wear a gown to work. Guess I could show up in one but I don't think it would be appropriate (I'm a nurse)! I just wonder what those short wearing folks wear to work. Maybe they wear their pajamas on casual Friday! :eek:

I plan on wearing a gown on both the formal and semi-formal nights and wearing a sun dress the other nights.

What exactly are we supposed to wear on Mexican night? I don't own a sombraro (sp?). Wish it was the tropical night, that would be easier.

Happy cruising!

My men are going to wear tuxes both nights:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
They won't have to pack suits and will wear slacks and dress shirts or collared sports shirts on the other nights. Hubby and I have matching shirt and dress for mexican celebration night or what ever they call it. They are sort of island theme. Of course, if I don't lose 5 pounds we won't be matching.:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
Joan

My DH always wears his tux on formal and semi formal nights- it saves on packing and he looks sharp! When we pack- we always try to get 2 wears out of one pair of pants. Even doing this- we seem to have a ton of luggage!

Originally posted by gometros
If you don't mind my asking, what did he wear on semi-formal night? I'm thinking of only wearing my tux on formal night and a suit the other night. I know the answer is that would be okay, just curious what other men who wore tuxes one night and not the other wore instead.

My DH wore a suit on the semi-formal night. I would say most of the men wore suits on the semi-formal night, although some wore tuxes. But the majority wore suits.

But I agree with some on this thread that if you wear the tux both nights, it's less packing!

Mexicali night can be either Mexican wear or tropical. In fact, I would say that most of the people wore simple, tropical wear -- lots of flowered shirts and sundresses. Bold colors, etc.

I own my tux, and I have the best reason in the world to wear it...the pants are expandable!!! After several days of eating I'm happy to wear pants that are comfortable!

I have 4 kids to dress for formal/semi formal and need suggestions. My daughter will most likely wear her Cinderella dress but what have others put their boys in. I don't see me being able to afford tuxes for them all. They don't even own a suit. Should I invest in a 3 suits or go for the tuxes???

You could easily use dress pants, shirt, and tie. I don't think anyone would object . It seems like a lot of money to spend for 1 or 2 nights. Not everyone wears tuxes and you will not feel out of place. Although, if you can afford it suits or tuxes will look great for formal pictures. :D

Originally posted by debm
I have 4 kids to dress for formal/semi formal and need suggestions. My daughter will most likely wear her Cinderella dress but what have others put their boys in. I don't see me being able to afford tuxes for them all. They don't even own a suit. Should I invest in a 3 suits or go for the tuxes???

Most boys wore a dress shirt and dress pants. Some wore ties and a few wore suits/tux. I would suggest that you don't bother with either suits/tux and save the money for execursions.

Just out of curiosity and trying to understand others' thinking: are there any posters out there who "refuse" to dress up? That is, would you wear jean shorts on formal night? Why?

I HATE, capital letters HATE dressing up! But I wouldn't even THINK to show up on formal night in jeans. I would dress up. I would dread the process of dressing, and would probably change as soon as possible. And I'd more than likely drip something down the front of me while I was dressed up. But I'd do it and probably enjoy the time when I was dressed up....because everyone else would be dressed up too!
And, I'm sure, we'd get the Shutters picture back and someone would say "wow, she cleans up well!" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter