ban smoking

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
Dean,
I am fine with the exception of a massive headache and stuffy nose.
I guess you could say some non smokers issues listed as allergies are the same vasomotor issues you mentioned.
I am happy to hear it is not a true allergy. :) That means I don't have any allergies at all, just a vasomotor issue and I simply cannot wait to look that one up. LOL :)
Allergies are easier to treat as you can use antihistimines. About the only things that will help the non allergic issues are nasal steriods, oral steriods and avoidance. Actually the newer, non sedating antihistamines and Singulair will help a little but due to anti inflamation properties and not the other main mechanism of action.

Now to relate this explanation to the topic. The problem with those with asthma in general and those with vasomotor issues of any type is that the trigger is generally not an allergic one. In general, people are not allergic to smoke. And it's not the smell per se that triggers the problem, so treating the room with an ionizer won't help most of them.

Technically, second hand smoke is the blue grey cloud that burns from the cigarette or that which is exhaled from the smoker. Any other chemicals left behind are just as dangerous as the amonia you may be cleaning with at home. I beg you, please, do not get down on your hands and knees and smell the carpeting in ANY hotel room!
I know most of you think that the answer is to send all smokers to another planet , but I'd really miss some of my family members.
How should we handle all the people who check into DVC property, you know, the ones with colds. What if they are coughing and sneezing in those rooms!?! By the way, last Oct. we brought my friend to WDW with us. She, like so many of you, has asthma. Her biggest complaint was the humidity. "Geez, guys. How do you do this yr. after yr.? If you had asthma, this would kill you!" I'd really like to invite her again but she says, she can't handle the humidity. We think the humidity factor is pretty low in Oct. Next we'll try Dec. Maybe she can handle that.

Yep, and the humidity is why we usually go in December and January. We have done August and September and it is MISERABLE for my asthma!

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
Yep, and the humidity is why we usually go in December and January. We have done August and September and it is MISERABLE for my asthma!

Diane - You must stay indoors for most of the summer - IMHO, Florida has nothing on a "normal" Minnesota summer if you are talking humidity!!!!

Best wishes -

Lori2816, you might also try March. We go down for Spring Break every year and Mom loves it. She has pretty serious asthma, although she is realizing she handles heat a lot better than cold. March is warm but not too hot and not too rainy or humid. We love it. My parents live in PA like you and my Mom swears Florida is no stickier than Easton, PA! :)

Colleen, PA does get pretty sticky. However, there is no comparison to FL. The humidity in FL is pretty much a constant. We get much needed relief from it. We invited my friend on the Oct. trip because we felt (from experience) she could handle it with no problem. This point I brought up because of the whole smoking issue. Smokers feel the same way that non-smokers feel. If I book at 11 mos. requesting a smoking room, I SHOULD get a smoking room. I know, and many of you know, that there are ALOT of people requesting non-smoking rooms under the lie that it is medically necessary. I have had many unpleasant experiences upon walking into rooms. The worst was the room that smelled as though the vacationers before us hadn't showered in a year. That was the start of me packing Fabreeze. One poster had gone on about getting on an elevator and having to smell smoke on someone standing next to them....please!!! I have had to smell dirty diapers, bad breath and horrid perfume. No one wants to banish these people! People have talked about paying fines or charging extra points. I pay my dues every year just like everyone else. I will never ever believe that smoking cost more per year (cleaning) than the everyday wear and tear! If I'm to be charged for smoking, I suggest all rooms are subject to inspection upon check out. If you stole a towel...you pay. If you or your child spilled a drink...you pay.
All I ask is that all of the people with TRUE medical problems ask the people without them to stop taking your rooms just because they don't want to be in a room where someone smoked 10 hrs. ago.

Originally posted by CarolMN
Diane - You must stay indoors for most of the summer - IMHO, Florida has nothing on a "normal" Minnesota summer if you are talking humidity!!!!

Best wishes -
Actually, I am LOVING this cool dry summer! The rainy days have been a big issue, but the dry air the rest of the time has been a God Send. Yes, most summers I do spend a lot of time indoors.

Absolutely agree. We're not talking views here, these are things that can ruin somebody's vacation. ( Granted, some people will claim their vacation is ruined if they don't get a certain view, but most of us don't feel this way. ) This is why MS definitely needs to make smoking and handicap rooms reservable room categories. Nobody should have to check in and be told they have been assigned a room that is guaranteed to ruin their vacation.

Originally posted by jarestel
Absolutely agree. We're not talking views here, these are things that can ruin somebody's vacation. ( Granted, some people will claim their vacation is ruined if they don't get a certain view, but most of us don't feel this way. ) This is why MS definitely needs to make smoking and handicap rooms reservable room categories. Nobody should have to check in and be told they have been assigned a room that is guaranteed to ruin their vacation.

ITA!!! But, the same goes for a smoker assigned to a non smoking room, it can ruin a vacation. It is not very relaxing to be in a non smoking unit and have to go outside to smoke. You run the risk of offending someone if you smoke on the balcony, you run the risk of offending someone if you are outside anywhere near a non smoking area. I can imagine the situation, where a non smoker is assigned a smoking room, can be very very uncomfortable also.

jarestel and GAIL HAYDEN
I agree--this is a big issue for all of us and DVC should change their reservation system to make three types of rooms:
Non-smoking, Smoking and Smoking -Optional.
The non-smoking and smoking should be guaranteed (if available) at the time of reservation. If none are available, then you decide whether to take a smoking-optional room or waitlist. It's not fair for the owner who reserves at 11 months out to not have the opportunity to reserve the correct room--whether smoking or non-smoking--and then NOT GET IT when they arrive early or late or on an off day when the rooms are all full. My points are just as important as another. If I have reserved at 11 months, I should get what I reserved and not the leftovers because I arrived midweek or later in the day.

Again, you provide links to inside second hand smoke, it does not address smoking outside.
Actually, the study doesn't differentiate between getting second hand smoke outside versus inside. I think you may be trying to create a differentiation that doesn't actually exist. There are multiple references on the center for disease website, you are welcome to check others. Regardless of other contributory causes like polution, etc., secondary smoke has been proven to be a cause of cancer.

I'm glad Disney doesn't allow smoking anywhere outside that people want to smoke and asks them to use designated outside areas while in the parks. Perhaps this is appropriate at each of the DVC resorts as well, especially at the pools.

ITA!!! But, the same goes for a smoker assigned to a non smoking room, it can ruin a vacation. It is not very relaxing to be in a non smoking unit and have to go outside to smoke. You run the risk of offending someone if you smoke on the balcony, you run the risk of offending someone if you are outside anywhere near a non smoking area. I can imagine the situation, where a non smoker is assigned a smoking room, can be very very uncomfortable also.

Yes, definitely. I was including both smokers and non-smokers in my previous post. Being able to reserve a guaranteed smoking or non-smoking room would benefit everyone. I don't know why MS can't block these rooms by category.

Originally posted by jarestel
Yes, definitely. I was including both smokers and non-smokers in my previous post. Being able to reserve a guaranteed smoking or non-smoking room would benefit everyone. I don't know why MS can't block these rooms by category.

Me either, perhaps there are more smokers than there are rooms. :)

If there are so many smokers smoking in non-smoking rooms, does it not seem that DVC should increase, rather than decrease, the number of smoking rooms? Apparently, there must be a lot more smokers than someone thinks there are. Poor planning? If the number of smokers is so small, then why are they so often put in a non-smoking room? I think there are a lot more smokers than most people seem to think, and the simple solution would be to increase the smoking units. Am I crazy to think that the problem could be solved by just increasing the smoking rooms?

Originally posted by jeanniec
Am I crazy to think that the problem could be solved by just increasing the smoking rooms?

I don't think you're crazy at all. It seems like I read more posts about smokers not getting thier smoking room requests, than non smokers who post about being put into a smoking room. And I know we'd all hear about it if that were to happen. As a matter of fact, you hear more non smokers complaining about getting a non smoking room that smells of smoke more than you hear about non smokers getting put into a smoking room. It doesn't take a mental heavy weight to come to the conclusion that some of the DVC resorts need more smoking rooms.::yes::

Originally posted by lovetotravel1974
Yes......;)

I am interested, why do you think it crazy to iincrease the number of smoking rooms?
Non smokers should not have to risk being put into a room where a smoker has been because there are not enough smoking rooms and they elect to smoke in it. Smokers shoud not have to risk being put into a non smoking room because they have as much right to enjoy their vacation home as anyone else.
Smokers due pay dues and spend money on vacation just like non smokers. In a smoking unit we do not pose a hazard to your health and we don't pollute your non smoking units.
There has to be a middle ground. I don't much like spending a ton of money each year on dues to be told I cannot have a smoking room and I am sure the opposite would true for a non smoker.
When I first joined in 92 OKW was split almost 50/50. I could accept them dropping a few buildings to accomodate an ever increasing population of non smokers, however, 3 buildings for smokers is absurd. I can understand someone having a problem with smoking, but, what someone does in their own vacation home is no one's business. Apparently, you have a problem with people doing things you don't like. In all honesty, that is a control issue, and you simply cannot control someone else.
Smoking is a legal action.

Originally posted by jeanniec
If there are so many smokers smoking in non-smoking rooms, does it not seem that DVC should increase, rather than decrease, the number of smoking rooms? Apparently, there must be a lot more smokers than someone thinks there are. Poor planning? If the number of smokers is so small, then why are they so often put in a non-smoking room? I think there are a lot more smokers than most people seem to think, and the simple solution would be to increase the smoking units. Am I crazy to think that the problem could be solved by just increasing the smoking rooms?

Nope, not at all.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Actually, the study doesn't differentiate between getting second hand smoke outside versus inside. I think you may be trying to create a differentiation that doesn't actually exist. There are multiple references on the center for disease website, you are welcome to check others. Regardless of other contributory causes like polution, etc., secondary smoke has been proven to be a cause of cancer.

I'm glad Disney doesn't allow smoking anywhere outside that people want to smoke and asks them to use designated outside areas while in the parks. Perhaps this is appropriate at each of the DVC resorts as well, especially at the pools.

There is actually a big difference. Lots of things cause cancer, but, I doubt a whiff now and then outside will cause you any ill effects. Driving to work causes you to inhale far more cancer causing agents than a whiff of a cigarette. The EPA does not want you to know this because they want to focus you on other things and not the dangers of just going outside for "fresh" air.
I, too, am happy they have designated smoking areas. Takes the heat off the smoker and gives the non smoker less to complain about. It is also much safer for all guests. Naturally, like most things Disney, it is not very well enforced. That, IMHO, is terribly unfortunate.

Smoking is a legal action.

If its a legal action, try smoking in Cailfornia.....anywhere indoors.Florida will be the same in the near future........as stated by Dean below...........

Originally posted by Dean
Still, the political climate in FL would suggest that total non smoking is not unlikely for hotels and the like and that timeshare will likely follow suite as it keeps maint costs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter