For those who stayed at GF during DVC construction....

Mousemommy1

DIS Veteran
Well, obviously the DVC construction is coming to an end at GF, with the villas scheduled to open in Oct 2013! :thumbsup2

My question is, for those who have stayed at the GF for the past couple of years while construction was ongoing, how intrusive did you find the construction to be?? Was it noisy? Visually disturbing? Did it detract from your overall experience? For those that ran into real issues with the construction, did you report it and was Disney willing to move you somewhere else?

I am asking because my number one choice for our trip next August is the Poly. I have waited for years to stay here, and mostly because I truly did not like the old decor. But now, the rooms are beautiful, IMHO, so it would be perfect....except for the possibility of DVC construction starting at the end of this year. :rolleyes2

I am trying to get a feel for how invasive the construction can be based on those who "lived through it" at GF.

Thoughts? We are considering Poly CL, CR CL or GF Sugarloaf in that order....should we take a chance on the Poly?? :confused3

I wish this wasnt the case, but I found the construction more intrusive than I expected. I've stayed at GF once without construction and twice with. The sound was not an issue at all and, while you certainly could see evidence of construction everywhere, I feel like I knew what I was getting into with the visual disturbance. The part that bothered me most were the closures of certain normal areas. One pool and the quick service restaurant were closed. On the phone, the GF made it sound like they had made accommodations to adjust for those closures, but we had to walk all the way across the resort
to do absolutely anything. Also, the staff didn't entirely know what was going on because they were working in different places, etc. It felt like a makeshift site and felt "off", which kind of stinks when you are paying deluxe prices.

I did not complain or ask to be moved. We knew what we were getting into (although didn't realize how invasive it would be) and moving off The monorail really wasn't an option for us. I will say that we asked to be moved one time when we were staying at WL because our bathroom didn't work and the only option disney provided was moving to GF and paying un-discounted room rates for the new room. After that experience, it felt like complaining wasn't really worth it, so we just decided to suck it up and have fun anyway :)

Thanks kom1977! :goodvibes

That's what I'm afraid of....for as much money as these resorts cost, I am thinking it would be foolish to take a chance, knowing that there is a good possibility of running into issues... :(

OK, I didn't stay in the GF during construction, but I did stay in the YC CL once when they had a huge number of cranes and noisy equipment in the courtyard below our window. It was very unpleasant all day long, but we stuck it out for 3 of our 5 days. We asked to be moved, however, when I woke up one morning and saw our drapes open and a workman working away on our balcony!!! While we were sleeping in our room, early in the morning! We moved to the BC CL for our last 2 nights after that! I just wish that we had spoken up earlier because it was much more enjoyable to be in the peace and quiet at the BC.

I guess it is something that will depend upon how much this sort of thing bothers you personally. I have to say that the staff were excellent and very understanding when we asked to be moved elsewhere.

OK, I didn't stay in the GF during construction, but I did stay in the YC CL once when they had a huge number of cranes and noisy equipment in the courtyard below our window. It was very unpleasant all day long, but we stuck it out for 3 of our 5 days. We asked to be moved, however, when I woke up one morning and saw our drapes open and a workman working away on our balcony!!! While we were sleeping in our room, early in the morning! We moved to the BC CL for our last 2 nights after that! I just wish that we had spoken up earlier because it was much more enjoyable to be in the peace and quiet at the BC.

I guess it is something that will depend upon how much this sort of thing bothers you personally. I have to say that the staff were excellent and very understanding when we asked to be moved elsewhere.

OMG!!! :scared1: I can put up with quite a bit, but someone on your balcony when your not expecting it?!?! :faint:

I do remember taking the monorail to GF while the construction was going on and thinking that I would be mad if I paid those rates and had to put up with the eyesore.

I am thinking I should go with either CR or GF for my initial booking, and then as the time gets closer, assess the situation at the Poly and see if I can switch if its not too bad. ::yes::

We stayed there in December. The courtyard pool was walled up but not a huge deal since we were mainly in the parks all day..just an eye sore.

We were also in the other side of the resort so the construction never bothered us. It was our first time at GF so we didn't know the layout well. It was really the luck of the draw since we had no location requests. If I was hoping to stay at any hotel during construction from now on, I would definitely look at location to at least request a room further away if possible.

We stayed there in December. The courtyard pool was walled up but not a huge deal since we were mainly in the parks all day..just an eye sore.

We were also in the other side of the resort so the construction never bothered us. It was our first time at GF so we didn't know the layout well. It was really the luck of the draw since we had no location requests. If I was hoping to stay at any hotel during construction from now on, I would definitely look at location to at least request a room further away if possible.

This is true. My thought process is that if we were staying CL at Poly, than we would obviously be in the Hawaii building which is kind of in the middle of the resort. Any rumored construction looks like it would be at either end of the Poly so we would be sort of "insulated" from it, but I haven't 100% convinced myself of that yet...:rotfl2:

Based on where the Poly DVC is rumored to be taking place, I can't see that it will make as much of an impact on Poly as the GF DVC construction did on GF.

We stayed at GF RPC in May 2012. I had gotten the room at a steep discount and I remember when we arrived and started experiencing the resort, I thought to myself, wow, I'm glad I didn't pay more for this room, because the construction impact was bad and I would have been really disappointed! At that point, they had walled off the beach area right next to the beach pool. I remember, when we used the beach pool (which my DS wanted to because of the slide), you had to walk through a construction tunnel to access the zero entry point of the water and the slide entrance - it was unattractive, to say the least. The resort, on the end near the beach, looked awful and I felt so bad for all of the bridal parties I kept seeing day after day. At this point, the spa and fitness center were also closed. I will say, we really didn't hear any noise from the construction which was a big plus.

So, yeah, GF was pretty bad IMHO. That being said, if they keep the Poly DVC at the outer ends of the resort, it really shouldn't impact the Poly Resort much at all, particularly the more centralized longhouses like Hawaii.

We stayed at GF during the construction, and I would say the impact depends on your room location and the time of year. We were in SL, which wasn't anywhere near the construction, and it was (cold) February, so we didn't venture over to the main pool & beach area (near the construction) at all. I did notice the construction looking out the windows in the main building, though, and remarked that I would be really disappointed if I paid for the GF and had a view of that.

All that said, if you'll be staying in Hawaii and the construction will be on the opposite end of the resort, I think you'll be fine. Only caveat would be if they closed the pool and/or beach area for some reason. For an August stay, that would be a deal-breaker.

First, let me say that I've dreamt of staying at Grand Floridian Resort for as long as I can remember.. So when my husband and I finally had enough money to go on our first Disneyworld trip, we booked our last night at GF as the cherry on top of our vacation. We stayed at AOA and AKL before GF. We knew about the construction and thought we wouldn't mind but we were wrong! The main pool was closed and the beach pool was closed off on the side as well so we had no access or even a view of the "beach." The counter service was closed as well. On top of all these, the system was down so they couldn't move us when asked. They put us on a room with 2 queen beds instead of a king bed. For $550 a night, it was a total let down!!! I was so disappointed. We had a better stay at AKL which was also a deluxe resort. We had a savannah view and had giraffes and waterbucks on our view all the time. GF was a waste of money in my opinion. I don't know if we'll ever stay there again.

...if they keep the Poly DVC at the outer ends of the resort, it really shouldn't impact the Poly Resort much at all, particularly the more centralized longhouses like Hawaii.

This is true, but they also plan a major refurb of the Great Ceremonial House during this period. That would be a deal breaker for me. :(

I am contemplating the same thing...we love the poly after having only stayed there for two nights and are looking forward to a week stay September 2014...if it is just DVC we will stay put BUT if it is GCH construction we will pick somewhere else...most likely CR. It is a lot to spend and not be happy.. I always wonder about the people who book and do no research before they go and how disappointed they must be

Yep, next year looks to be a busy year at the Poly. Construction always is a pain, but the resort and the great ceremonial house needs it. Wonder if they have the technology to put a hot tub in with all this construction work :scared1:?

Hi Mousemommy1!

I can tell you from first hand experience that Hawaii Bldg. is a great location at the Poly. Can't wait to return in a few days! From what the DVC plans look like, I can see the only reason for not staying during that time is if pool, GCH or restaurant closures are announced. From what I saw from the plans, it looked like building was going to be down near Tahiti and Luau Cove. That is far enough away not to interfere with a nice vacation at the Poly. JMO. I will probably book POLY CL again for next year. Can't help myself! Best of luck on your choice!:goodvibes

I think it also depends on your outlook for the trip. If this is your big once-in-a-lifetime shot at the Poly? Then I'd think about having a backup plan for when the construction is announced. If you think you'll be back to the Poly again? Then I would bite the bullet and check out those beautiful new CL rooms! :thumbsup2 You'll still be able to see the castle from the Hawaii building, no construction would change that.

I wish this wasnt the case, but I found the construction more intrusive than I expected. I've stayed at GF once without construction and twice with. The sound was not an issue at all and, while you certainly could see evidence of construction everywhere, I feel like I knew what I was getting into with the visual disturbance. The part that bothered me most were the closures of certain normal areas. One pool and the quick service restaurant were closed. On the phone, the GF made it sound like they had made accommodations to adjust for those closures, but we had to walk all the way across the resort
to do absolutely anything. Also, the staff didn't entirely know what was going on because they were working in different places, etc. It felt like a makeshift site and felt "off", which kind of stinks when you are paying deluxe prices.

I did not complain or ask to be moved. We knew what we were getting into (although didn't realize how invasive it would be) and moving off The monorail really wasn't an option for us. I will say that we asked to be moved one time when we were staying at WL because our bathroom didn't work and the only option disney provided was moving to GF and paying un-discounted room rates for the new room. After that experience, it felt like complaining wasn't really worth it, so we just decided to suck it up and have fun anyway :)

That is unreasonable. Your room needs a working bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hi Mousemommy1!

I can tell you from first hand experience that Hawaii Bldg. is a great location at the Poly. Can't wait to return in a few days! From what the DVC plans look like, I can see the only reason for not staying during that time is if pool, GCH or restaurant closures are announced. From what I saw from the plans, it looked like building was going to be down near Tahiti and Luau Cove. That is far enough away not to interfere with a nice vacation at the Poly. JMO. I will probably book POLY CL again for next year. Can't help myself! Best of luck on your choice!:goodvibes

:wave2:

Yes, I think I could deal with construction on the outer edges of the resort, but I would be pretty disappointed if the GCH, pool and restaurants were affected. Too many unknowns!!! :headache:

I think it also depends on your outlook for the trip. If this is your big once-in-a-lifetime shot at the Poly? Then I'd think about having a backup plan for when the construction is announced. If you think you'll be back to the Poly again? Then I would bite the bullet and check out those beautiful new CL rooms! :thumbsup2 You'll still be able to see the castle from the Hawaii building, no construction would change that.

We go to Disney annually, so we will likely have other opportunities to stay at the Poly. It has been my 1st choice for the past two trips, but I could not get past the decor....:duck:

Then, word came of the room refurb (underway now) and I was psyched...because I could finally plan my trip to the Poly! :banana: But, then of course, all of this potential DVC interference is going on, and with the timeframes for completion that I have seen, it may be a couple of years before I would want to stay at the Poly...:confused3

The GF would give us everything on our checklist, and no construction....I just always have a hard time getting excited for GF, I don't know why...I am sure it would be fabulous. :wizard:

We go to Disney annually, so we will likely have other opportunities to stay at the Poly. It has been my 1st choice for the past two trips, but I could not get past the decor....:duck:

Then, word came of the room refurb (underway now) and I was psyched...because I could finally plan my trip to the Poly! :banana: But, then of course, all of this potential DVC interference is going on, and with the timeframes for completion that I have seen, it may be a couple of years before I would want to stay at the Poly...:confused3

The GF would give us everything on our checklist, and no construction....I just always have a hard time getting excited for GF, I don't know why...I am sure it would be fabulous. :wizard:

Well, I just bought a DVC contract at GF and my fiance's first question when we first discussed the purchase was "Am I ever going to be able to get you out of the lobby when we stay there?" GF is a resort I just like to "be" in. I could sit in the lobby, listening to the Disney music for hours. The dining options are amazing and the grounds are gorgeous. The only reason we never stayed at GF before was that I wasn't a fan of the frilly room decor. But the villas have a sleeker, more modern touch in the Victorian decor. So I can't wait to spend more than just an evening here or there at that resort. August 2014 can't come fast enough for me! :goodvibes

Well, I just bought a DVC contract at GF and my fiance's first question when we first discussed the purchase was "Am I ever going to be able to get you out of the lobby when we stay there?" GF is a resort I just like to "be" in. I could sit in the lobby, listening to the Disney music for hours. The dining options are amazing and the grounds are gorgeous. The only reason we never stayed at GF before was that I wasn't a fan of the frilly room decor. But the villas have a sleeker, more modern touch in the Victorian decor. So I can't wait to spend more than just an evening here or there at that resort. August 2014 can't come fast enough for me! :goodvibes

We might be there at the same time!!!! Our dates will be 8/17-8/27 :banana:

I feel like our safe bet is GF....

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter