For those on a strict budget......where do you stay?

CJK

DIS Veteran
I know it's a long shot, but there may be a trip in my future to celebrate my birthday. It's a HUGE long shot, but I thought I'd start investigating cost saving measures for lodging. For those of you on a strict budget, where do you stay on your Disney trips? We generally either stay in a cheap priceline motel or we stretch our dollar a little and stay at one of the All Star hotels. On our last trip, we splurged and stayed at AKL but we found that really hurt our wallet (though we LOVED it!). Just wondering where you all stay and maybe you could recommend a cheap hotel/motel? Thanks!!

You didn't mention how many are in your party, but here's 2 suggestions.

Regular hotel room - EconoLodge Maingate Hawaiian on 192 West in Kissimmee. We've stayed there a couple of times, most recently about 1-1/2 years ago. I think we paid $23.95 last time. Its nice, clean, has a nice pool and a little lounge/snack bar in the lobby.

Suite - Days Suites Maingate East - Old Town. Stayed in a 1-bedroom suite November 2002 for $39.95/nite. Full kitchen so you can keep food and prepare some meals to save more money. Rate also included free ride tickets for Old Town right next to the hotel.

Steve

What price range are you looking for?

This is the best deal I know of for a decent hotel:

Courtyard by Marriott is offering their rooms at $20.03/nite ($22.34 w/tax) from Aug 1st through Sept 30th, 2003. You must call the hotel directly at 1-407-828-8888 and ask for this rate for that time period. The rate is pre-paid (must pay in advance for all nights) and non-refundable.

Are you flying in? If so are you renting a vehicle? And do you want to have to drive everywhere yourself?

Not only will you have to look at resort prices but figure in rental car costs, gas prices, parking costs per day, and if you want to drive off and on site for meals or rest breaks if you have young children.

We prefer ASM for budgeted trips so as to use WDW transportation.

You need to provide more details and then the information will flow. We stay offsite to save money and get a villa or suite. We always get a kitchen, as those theme park meals really add up.:(
Depending on time of year, total number in your group, length of stay, number of days in parks, all of these will control your options. We are staying onsite this time due to the Fairy Tale Package and it working out to be a nightly rate of $91.00 for a FW Cabin. Normally, we would stay offsite, but this savings was too good to pass up.:smooth:

We have stayed at Orange Lake Country Club through SkyAuction on our last three trips

Oct '02 2 BR $316
Jan '03 2 BR $256
May '03 3 BR $248
Sept '03, Don't know haven't bid yet.

These are prices for the entire week.

HTH

Thanks all. You've given me a lot to consider. There would only be 2 adults on this upcoming trip. We will be flying down. Our rule of thumb is to NOT rent a car if we're staying onsite. If we stay offsite, we DO rent a car which means we need a very cheap motel in order to make up the difference of renting a car. We've been successful with our priceline experience, but I was just wondering if there were specific motels we should consider. Thanks so much everyone!

For us it's either stay offsite in "house" type lodgings (kitchen/etc) or stay at All Stars or camping at FW. (The latter will probably be our choice for awhile- considering after this next trip we'll always be considered "5" in our family and we'd have to get 2 rooms at whatever resort we stay at- plus we'll enjoy camping at FW more because it's like a "house" with kitchen/etc yet inexpensive).

Maybe SOMEDAY I'll be able to bring myself to spending more on a pricier resort- but it won't be anytime soon. I'd rather stay longer, spend money on doing things while there, etc. LOL

The $20 Courtyard is the best deal, can use DTD buses. Otherwise PL is probably the best way to get a decent hotel for cheap. About half the hotels seem to have decent shuttles (DTD or Marriott village), bid planning on having to rent a car but you might get lucky.
Watch biddingfortravel and try to match someones bid ASAP if it's for a DTD hotel (BW for example).

I still don't think you can beat priceline for a 3* hotel for $35 a night!

We stayed at the Sheraton Safari once for $35 a night through them. I think it was much nicer than any of the other budget hotels for that price in the area eg. travelodge, econolodge, hojo.

The 20.03 deal sounds like a steal though!

I agree with Lewisc (imagine that!). Priceline is really the best way, IMO, to get a nice hotel for the least amount of $$. Over at www.biddingfortravel.com we've seen the 2.5* Courtyard and the 2.5* Best Western come up in the $25-$30 range and both of them are on Hotel Blvd with great free transportation.

Thanks all! It sounds like using priceline is the way to go. We got a 2.5* hotel in fall 2001 for $25. It was the Ramada Courtyard (not sure of the exact name). This trip would be in late October (if it happens at all! ;) ) Thanks again!

Consider renting DVC points. It may not be the absolute cheapest way to go, but its definitely worth a look, especially if you're going sun-thurs. The average price per point is aroun 10 dollars, sometimes less. During October, a studio @ Old Key West is 8 points, or around 80 dollars a night if you rent points. Boardwalk standard view is 9 points, preferred view is 12, and beach club is 12 points a night. Check the DVC rent/trade board for points available to rent. Have a great trip.

Originally posted by robinb
I agree with Lewisc (imagine that!).

Although you may not always agree with my wording or emphasis I suspect we agree most of the time.

Suggestion to OP If you can't get the $20 Courtyard deal don't try to low ball PL. Wait until someone posts a winning DTD for your dates and bid the winning amount. NO GUARANTEE but should significantly increase the chance of getting the same property or just plan on renting a cheap car.

Originally posted by Lewisc
Although you may not always agree with my wording or emphasis I suspect we agree most of the time.

No offense! I meant that we agree alomst all of the time!

Sorry, I misinterperted your post. Some of the pro PL people think I'm too negative on PL.

If you are staying for a week, I think Skyauction is a better deal than Priceline. The $260 you will pay for a week includes all of your fees and taxes(I think Priceline adds on some extra), plus you get a full kitchen so you can eat many meals at the condo and save on food. You can also choose your condo, instead of leaving it to chance on a Priceline bid.

That Courtyard deal was good, too, but it is not vaild for your dates.

There are some great deals IF you're willing to put up with a 2 hour time share presentation. Hotel Kingdom lists some. You could also do a presentation a day and get a free meal and some tickets. If you tell them you already have your tickets or are leaving the next morning you may be able to get $100.

Not the way I'd spend my vacation :( but if you're on a strict budget.

I know years ago I stayed at a Holiday inn Maingate in Kissimee, and there was a free shuttle every morning to Disney.
We didnt have a rental car, and walked to dinner, etc etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter