For those looking for an inexpensive tablet computer...

sherry7

DIS Veteran
While reading a hot deals website (fatwallet) I found a good deal on a tablet, so I thought I'd pass it along to my DIS'ers. I see a lot of talk about iPads and tablet computers on this board.

Right now Staples has a printable $100 off coupon toward the purchase of a tablet computer, in store only. Here's the link to the coupon: http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/hBOJnz1B7SHGCB8ca0ODh7JhSUo/coupon.html?n=927

Staples carries a few different tablets in the store, but two in particular are inexpensive with this coupon. The first is the Dell Streak 7. It is $299, so $199 after coupon. It's a 7" screen, which is a good size if you plan to carry it in your purse. Personally, I didn't like the screen resolution though when I played with it in the store. It looked a bit blurry to me. But if you want a smaller device, it's worth a look.

The one I got (for my DH) is the Acer Iconia Tab A500. It is normally $449, on sale for $399, so it's $299 after the coupon. It's a 10.1" screen, which is comparable to the size of the iPad screen. (It's a slightly different shape though. The iPad is 4:3 ratio and the Iconia is 16:9 ratio.) The screen resolution is very sharp.

I've been playing with the Acer Iconia Tab all evening, and I must say that I'm pretty impressed, especially considering what I paid for it. I also have an iPad (1st generation), and I like this one just as well as the iPad so far. In some ways I like it better, since it has a USB port, expandable memory, and front/rear cameras. Of course the operating system is different than the iPad (Android vs. Apple), but that's all a matter of personal preference. I like both.

After a quick (automatic) update, it is running the new Android Honeycomb 3.1 operating system, which is pretty slick (update to version 3.2 is rumored to be soon). Of course, you can access the Android app store, which offers mostly the same apps as the iTunes store. I've already downloaded the Kindle and Nook apps, and a few games.

Since I bought it for DH, I should probably stop playing with it and give it back to him. :laughing:

Perfect review - thank you for taking the time to post the coupon - giving the comparison of the ipad - I had heard that the Acer is a good product!

Here's another review of the Acer:http://allthingsd.com/20110525/acer-iconia-tab-a500-tablet-review/

In sum, Walter Mossberg calls it "the best choice for consumers looking for an alternative to the iPad, and for those willing to be patient as software designers get to work and roll out more goodies for Android tablets throughout the year."

Of course, with the coupon, the iPad 1 is only $50 more if you buy the refurbished unit at apple.com. -- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter