For those against Sea World....yet another question

It may have been on there for awhile, but I noticed tonight that Blackfish is on Netflix for anybody who hasn't seen it and wants to see it.

Psst, didn't anyone catch the previous references to AB no longer owning Sea World? :confused3

I am not actively boycotting Sea World or any of the companies that own a stake or have vendor contracts.

However, I won't go just as I don't go to circuses. I want to see animals behaving naturally in a natural habitat or a man made habitat that provides ample room for animals to thrive.

I don't find animals trained or tortured to perform silly tricks the least bit entertaining. It seems that more and more are subscribing to this view. If that is the case, the market will dry up and Sea World will cease to exist.

All the chest pounding in this thread :rotfl2:

I think you are reading more to it then it is not there. Maybe you read the other thread and are taking your feeling here since it was shut down but your the reason why I said it wasn't an argument thread.

AB sold AB to IN BEV.

IN BEV sold SW, BG, and the other one to Blackstone Investment Group.

Not sure where you are reading. :confused3

Actually, InBev bought AB in a hostile takeover that AB fought. InBev was able to muscle in using the exchange rate to their favor due to a weak dollar. :(

We also have season passes to all of the Busch parks & yes, we will continue to go to them all simply because we enjoy it. There are many things in this world that I do not agree with, but I'm going to do what makes me & my family happy & I am not going to deprive us of something over it. SeaWorld also does a lot of things to help & I will not overlook that either.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg is still on my list of places that I plan to go to.

Will you go to zoos, epcot places like that? They have animals that do tricks for food or are forced to interact with humans even if they don't want to and IMO are on par with Sea World. I watched Blackfish and it disturbed me, but sadly I feel most programs fall into these traps that have animals and are for profit. Unless you are going to boycott all those places I wouldn't feel guilty. I don't agree with any of them. Swim with dolphin programs again force dolphins to interact with humans against there will. Unless they are one of the few that take you out into the wild and the dolphin is allowed to come up to you if it wants. They all are not treating the animals as they should be.

I am a hypocrite when it comes to this. I do not like this practice at all, but I do take my kids to zoos from time to time.

ETA: that I agree with the above poster that SW also does a lot of good. Just like Epcot isn't all bad b/c they keep dolphins in captivity.

I don't live near any Bush Garden Parks, but no, I wouldn't go. I do live near a Six Flags park that has bottlenose dolphins, sea lions, etc. I will not go to that park until they no longer force their animals to do tricks for food. They used to have an orca named Shouka that was housed for a a while with one of the dolphins, but then left by herself for months. It is against federal law to house orcas without a companion animal and just over a year ago, Shouka was moved to Seaworld. I hate that she is stuck in Seaworld, but at least she isn't isolated anymore.

My brother and his family get season passes to SF Discovery Kingdom and have tried to get me to use their free guest pass so I can go with them. While I would not be giving them money to attend, I still will not go. He asked a few times, but now he respects my decision and doesn't ask anymore.

I live in Walnut Creek-I still call it Marine World. I didn't now Shouka had been moved.

I guess I have missed most of the controversy about Sea World. I do feel like there is a way that animals that CANNOT live in the wild can be raised in captivity and used to educate the public. It can be done the right way.

If you are going to boycott Sea World and Anheuser Busch, you must boycott all their products and all the firms that distrubute and/or sell them. When it comes to beer, the latter includes Disneyworld and Disneyland.

GM supplies Anheuser Busch with the vehicles they use to ship and deliver their products. If you are going to boycott Sea World and Anheuser Busch, you must boycott GM. That means you must not buy their vehicles. If you already own one, you must sell it. If you rent cars whern you travel, you must refuse to take any vehicle made by GM.

Alcoa supplies Anheuser Busch with the aluminum they use to make their cans. If you are going to boycott Sea World and Anheuser Busch, you must also boycott Alcoa. That includes not buying any aluminum foil, since Alcoa provides the material for almost all the latter sold in the US.

I could go on, but the point has been made. Annoucing they are going to boycott something makes people feel good, but very few actually follow through with their threat and even fewer go into the process far enough to make any impact. :teacher:
That's backwards logic. AB "supports" GM and Alcoa by giving them money for their product. GM and Alcoa aren't "supporting" AB.

Thanks for all the responses.

Just wondering

does Marineland in Ontario have people against them to or is it just Sea World???:confused3

Thanks for all the responses.

Just wondering

does Marineland in Ontario have people against them to or is it just Sea World???:confused3

Marineland here in Ontario and SeaWorld in Orlando have virtually zilch in common. I have been to both (multiple times each).

Marineland is a completely "for show" facility. There's no animal rescue, no marine rehabilitation, no real educational purpose to their park. Its dingy and dreary and sad (and a poor place to spend your money in Niagara Falls, IMHO).

The condition of the Marineland park facilities are worlds away from those at SeaWorld. Enough that I have no problem believing the accusations found in this article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/08/15/marineland_animals_suffering_former_staffers_say.html

I, for one, will NEVER return to Marineland. But SeaWorld is our go-to park in Orlando (as well as DC & Aquatica).

But to your specific question......yes, many Canadians are against Marineland. But quite honestly, it doesn't seem to be the "animals in captivity" issue that have people avoiding the park. Its the condition of the park itself and the very obvious poor quality of care that the dolphins, whales and sea lions are receiving.

The Marineland Animal Defense League protests not only the conditions at Marineland (Holler's Hell) but they also believe no cetaceans should be held captive in any facility. They are very active in protests against sea world, Marineland Florida, Georgia Aquarium, Swim with dolphin programs, etc.

I think you'll find most people opposed to sea world keeping whales and dolphins in captivity are also involved in other anti-captivity activities as well.

I am always confused by why people get upset about the Orcas in captivity, but not dolphins, sea lions, beluga whales etc. They have just as much right to be free and not performing/forced to interact with people. I've been to the local aquarium and they have all of these different animals performing in the show. Again, I know I am a hypocrite and will admit that for going. I don't see anyone getting upset about zoos, aquariums, epcot, castaway cay. All IMO are mistreatment of animals. So why be so upset about one and not about the others. I think a place that is truly abusing their animals(which currently SW isn't except unessesary captivity) is one thing, but I saw no evidence in Blackfish that is what SW is doing. Their practices early on(70's/80's) were bad, but I gurantee that all these places were operating like that b/c of ignorance. Now that wouldn't be tolerated in the US and many other countries. I do think that unless an animal is injured or endangered they should not be in captivity...not even WDW style captivity. It isn't right, but we try to tell ourselves giraffes running around AK are happy, elephants at the zoo are well kept. The truth is we don't know how these animals feel. Most likely they are miserable, but as long as they exisit people will go b/c otherwise you wouldn't see many of these creatures and kids love it. Right or wrong it is just the way things are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter