For the First Time in Forever-

Chapter 26 – Redo at the Zoo – Animal Kingdom Day 2 Part 2!

Next, we grabbed a snack from the Harambe popcorn snack shack. Haley got the popcorn and a water and I got the Jungle Juice Slushie! Perfect for a warm sunny day.

[/URL]

From there, we took another scenic trail to see some tropical birds before we headed into the movie, “It’s Tough to be a Bug”.

[URL=http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mdsouth/media/WDW%20Feb%202014%20Trip/Animal%20Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0988_zpsc306864f.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mdsouth/media/WDW%20Feb%202014%20Trip/Animal%20Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0987_zps547ea518.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mdsouth/media/WDW%20Feb%202014%20Trip/Animal%20Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0982_zps139af180.jpg.html][/URL
]

“It’s Tough to be a Bug” was a lot of fun. Haley particularly liked the spray of water and when we both jumped when the bugs were crawling on our seats!

The movie was the last thing we did at Animal Kingdom before we headed out of the park.

[URL=http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mdsouth/media/WDW%20Feb%202014%20Trip/Animal%20Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0990_zpsa6cb7641.jpg.html][/URL
]

I took one last photo of Haley in front of the Animal Kingdom sign and then we caught a bus back to PORFQ for a late lunch and a swim.

[URL=http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mdsouth/media/WDW%20Feb%202014%20Trip/Animal%20Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0981_zps3215916d.jpg.html][/URL
]http://s594.photobucket.com/user/md...l Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0981_zps3215916d.jpg.html[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url]

hi there! I am finally caught up! I have lots to say! fantastic you took the time for just a mom and daughter trip before the boys were to show up! POR is beautiful isn't it? so serene.. just need to slow down while there. great resort.
I love Haley's dress for 1900 park fair so precious. There are some awesome smiles on her face!
So cool she is a junior zoo keeper!!! I do hope she keeps it up and does end up in the DCP! I have a friend there now and is working in AK!
Doing a great job with your report can't wait to read more!

hi there! I am finally caught up! I have lots to say! fantastic you took the time for just a mom and daughter trip before the boys were to show up! POR is beautiful isn't it? so serene.. just need to slow down while there. great resort.
I love Haley's dress for 1900 park fair so precious. There are some awesome smiles on her face!
So cool she is a junior zoo keeper!!! I do hope she keeps it up and does end up in the DCP! I have a friend there now and is working in AK!
Doing a great job with your report can't wait to read more!

Thanks for reading my report! So, what does your friend do at AK?
After our trip, Haley and I checked out the information about the College Program on Disney's site. It is nice to see that there are several different types of opportunities. We just signed Haley up for another year of junior zookeepers at our local zoo. I do see her working in the field someday. She has never been squimish around any animals or bugs and is very matter of fact about their life cycles and food chains and such. She is one who understands that not everything to do with animals is cute and cuddly and fun times.

Chapter 27 – Lunch at PORFQ

When we arrived back at PORFQ at 12:30, we went to the Sassagoula Food Court for a late lunch. As you can tell, Haley was a bit wiped out and needed some time to eat and just relax at the pool. [/URL]

Haley had the kid’s plate of a grilled cheese, Oreos, and milk

[/URL
]

I had the Po Boy with Chips. The sandwich is really big. It was okay but nothing special. I ended up taking about half back to the room to eat later. In the picture, Haley’s Oreos are still on my plate. I traded her for her apple slices. I keep trying to get her to eat fruit but usually don’t have a lot of luck.

[/URL]

After we ate, we jumped into our suits and headed back to the pool at POR. It was quite a bit chillier today that it had been the day before. I swam with Haley in the large pool and then I had to get into the hot tub. I stayed in the hot tub and kept an eye on Haley who stayed in the large pool. The water was just too cool for me with the cooler outside temp to stay in the big pool with her. There were lots of people at the pool despite the cooler temperatures. Most were people like us who were vacationing from areas that had lots of snow and frigid temperatures back home. A few people I spoke with had extended their trips a day or two due to cancelled flights and delays at the airports they were headed back to.

I finally had to drag Haley out of the pool and we headed to our room to get changed for dinner. We were headed to BOMA's! I had read so many great reviews about the food there especially the strawberry soup. I was excited to try it for myself!

Chapter 28 – Dinner at Animal Kingdom Lodge

The theme of the day was animals and so we continued with our adventure to see as many animals as possible. I had been wanting to try Boma’s at Animal Kingdom Lodge for myself. Over the years, I have read what a great buffet it is, especially the strawberry soup and the ZEBRA DOMES! I was excited to see the lodge in person and try the zebra domes. Haley was looking forward to seeing the animals there.

When we got there we had a little bit of time before dinner so we took some photographs in the lounge.

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mdsouth/media/WDW%20Feb%202014%20Trip/Animal%20Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0977_zps676218d1.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mdsouth/media/WDW%20Feb%202014%20Trip/Animal%20Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0976_zps24bb67fc.jpg.html][/URL
]

The next two was the roof over our heads at our table. I loved the look!

[URL=http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mdsouth/media/WDW%20Feb%202014%20Trip/Animal%20Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0975_zps6a911408.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mdsouth/media/WDW%20Feb%202014%20Trip/Animal%20Kingdom/CopyofDSC_0974_zpseedfbfb6.jpg.html][/URL
]

I will post the dining review next.
[/url][/url][/url][/url]

Those bird photos are so pretty!

Looks like you guys had a pretty big day at DAK. Can't wait to see how you guys liked Boma :)

Those bird photos are so pretty!

Looks like you guys had a pretty big day at DAK. Can't wait to see how you guys liked Boma :)

Hi!
Thanks for checking in! I was surprised by how long we stayed in the bird area at AK this trip. I think it was because it was nesting season and the birds were literally flying right over our heads back and forth to gather twigs and stuff for their nests. It was fun to watch them work and we talked at length to the CM there who was very friendly and knowledgable.

I am trying to add my photos to the Boma review. So, I should have it posted later today.

I'm glad that Haley loves Animal Kingdom so much, it's a really special park to me too. Perhaps someday she will work at the Animal Kingdom - college program for sure!

I'm looking forward to the Boma review, I loved my dinner there!

Chapter 29 – Dinner Review of Boma’s

Boma’s was busy as I expected it to be. We had arrived early for our ADR and had to wait a bit before we were seated. We spent the time visiting with another family that included grandparents, adult siblings with their own families and the grandkids. They really seemed to be enjoying their time together though there was a little issue with part of the family had not arrived yet, so they had to wait to be seated. I heard one of the other family members grumble about them always being late.

Haley and I were seated by the window. Since it was dark outside, we could not see anything. We headed up to the buffet to fill our plates.

I started with the Butternut Squash soup. It was perfect for a cool evening. I was expecting a bit more bunch to the flavor since we were at Boma’s. It was the best part of my entire meal. I also had some of the Spinach and Quinoa salad. It was good but nothing special. For my main course, I had some of the roasted chicken. Again, I was expecting the flavors just to really jump out at me and they didn’t. I think I must have tried some of the pork shoulder too but again it did not leave me with a noteworthy impression. I would have tried some of the steak strips but they did not have any at the time I went.

Haley, of course had the macaroni and cheese. It was the same as the other places we ate at during our trip so she was happy. I did get her to eat a little bit of the African breads.

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

When we finished the main meal we went back up to the buffet and selected our desserts. We chose several to share. I had been waiting a long time to try the zebra domes and since zebras are Haley’s favorite animal she decided to try it too.

Our dessert plate

[/URL
]

I liked the lemon tart the best. I had one bite of the zebra dome and realized it was not to my liking. For many DISers the zebra domes are one of their favorite treats. But it just wasn’t for me.

Haley’s first taste of zebra domes was similar to mine. She loved the chocolate chip cookie though!

[/URL
]

So, overall, Boma’s was a disappointment. Nothing about the food really stood out to me and there really wasn’t anything to bring me back again in the future. It was my biggest disappointment of the trip. I had just read review and review that raved about how wonderful everything was beforehand- it just didn’t live up to the hype.

After we finished our meal, we checked out the pool area and had the chance to use the night goggles to view the animals grazing near the lodge. It was fun to do and since we were visiting during a low crowd period, we were able to use the goggles for quite awhile before we handed them over to another group who came out.

Haley and I also visited the gift shop while we were at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I found a really cute Mickey and Minnie purse that I bought. I paid around 35 for it so not too bad. Here is a photo link I found online of it.
http://cheapskateprincess.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Minnie-Mickey-Mouse-purse.jpg

We also bought a really cute one piece swimsuit for Haley while we were there. It was actually on clearance. It is a plain light blue color with white trim. It looks really good on her, especially with her long torso and long legs. The cut is great. I will try to take a picture and upload it later.

Last edited:
I'm glad that Haley loves Animal Kingdom so much, it's a really special park to me too. Perhaps someday she will work at the Animal Kingdom - college program for sure!

I'm looking forward to the Boma review, I loved my dinner there!

I am really glad we had the chance to try Boma's and to look around the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Boma's just wasn't one of our favorite meals. A great night all the same.
We just signed Haley up for another round of Junior Zookeepers for the summer so perhaps the College Program will be for her. It certainly would be fun. If it had been available when I was in college, I would have loved to have been a part of it.

I'm glad I found someone else who isn't a fan of zebra domes! LOL we ate at BOMA back in 2011 and I was SO excited to try them, especially since I'm a huge dessert person. Unfortunately I didn't like them at all :sad2: I've wanted to try BOMA again b/c like you I read so many excellent reviews. We thought it was ok, but it hasn't made our ADR list since.........

I'm glad I found someone else who isn't a fan of zebra domes! LOL we ate at BOMA back in 2011 and I was SO excited to try them, especially since I'm a huge dessert person. Unfortunately I didn't like them at all :sad2: I've wanted to try BOMA again b/c like you I read so many excellent reviews. We thought it was ok, but it hasn't made our ADR list since.........

ariane37, it is nice to hear your input. It sounds like your reaction to Boma's was similar to mine.
So, when is you next trip? Do you have one in the works?

ariane37, it is nice to hear your input. It sounds like your reaction to Boma's was similar to mine.
So, when is you next trip? Do you have one in the works?

Yes we do! We are going for Thanksgiving, Nov. 20-28th and staying at BWV again :woohoo:My boys are very excited! We are also going to Fla. in Aug. but that's strictly a Universal trip for DS13. They've never been there and it's been 15 years since DH and I have gone. I just can't wrap my head around Fla. and no Disney lol!! We're driving down too for the first time :scared1: and using our timeshare. I think we'll eat at Maya Grill over at CSR (one of DS9's favorite TS's) and most likely play some Disney mini-golf.

How about you? I think you had said you're hoping for a trip in 2016?

You know, I don't really love zebra domes either. They're not particularly my kind of flavors. And I actually remember the soup being the highlight of my meal - I think I tried 3 different kinds of soup and loved them all.

Yes we do! We are going for Thanksgiving, Nov. 20-28th and staying at BWV again :woohoo:My boys are very excited! We are also going to Fla. in Aug. but that's strictly a Universal trip for DS13. They've never been there and it's been 15 years since DH and I have gone. I just can't wrap my head around Fla. and no Disney lol!! We're driving down too for the first time :scared1: and using our timeshare. I think we'll eat at Maya Grill over at CSR (one of DS9's favorite TS's) and most likely play some Disney mini-golf.

How about you? I think you had said you're hoping for a trip in 2016?

My daughter who is 12 has been reading the Harry Potter books and is a big fan so she has been talking about going to Universal the next time we are in Florida. Like you, I just can't fathom going to Orlando and not go to Disney. You will have to let us know how your Universal trip goes.

The Disney mini-golf and dinner at CSR's Maya Grill will at least give you a little taste of Disney to hold you over until your November trip.

You know, I don't really love zebra domes either. They're not particularly my kind of flavors. And I actually remember the soup being the highlight of my meal - I think I tried 3 different kinds of soup and loved them all.

I agree with you the flavor of the zebra domes is something you either like or don't. The question is, librarygeek, will Boma's make it on your restaurant list for your next trip just for the soup or do you plan to check out other places? Do you have a trip planned?

We just bought a new home and this summer will be visiting relatives in South Carolina, so no Disney trip in my future until 2017. I wish it was at least 2016 but it just doesn't look possible at the moment. But that gives me plenty of time to scan the web for great restaurant reviews and make plans!

My laptop is being worked on right now, and I had the next segment completed on it. I hope to get it back tomorrow, so I plan to post my next chapter tomorrow.

Congratulations on your new home!! :flower1: That's exciting, we moved into a new home 2 years ago. The nice thing about 2017 is that (hopefully) the construction in AK will be done, and maybe some cool additions to HS as well!

I agree with you the flavor of the zebra domes is something you either like or don't. The question is, librarygeek, will Boma's make it on your restaurant list for your next trip just for the soup or do you plan to check out other places? Do you have a trip planned?

We just bought a new home and this summer will be visiting relatives in South Carolina, so no Disney trip in my future until 2017. I wish it was at least 2016 but it just doesn't look possible at the moment. But that gives me plenty of time to scan the web for great restaurant reviews and make plans!

I think planning the food for your trip is the best part!! Haha. I won't be at Boma this next trip - I'll be headed back to Sanaa instead, which I also loved and highly recommend. I've done breakfast and dinner at Boma and while I enjoyed dinner, I was underwhelmed by breakfast there.

Congratulations on your new home!! :flower1: That's exciting, we moved into a new home 2 years ago. The nice thing about 2017 is that (hopefully) the construction in AK will be done, and maybe some cool additions to HS as well!

Good point! At least if I have to wait awhile to go back, I might miss some of the big construction going on in the parks. I hope the AK night show will be up and running when I get back.

I think planning the food for your trip is the best part!! Haha. I won't be at Boma this next trip - I'll be headed back to Sanaa instead, which I also loved and highly recommend. I've done breakfast and dinner at Boma and while I enjoyed dinner, I was underwhelmed by breakfast there.

I agree! I can't believe sometimes how much time I spend just reading reviews and looking over the menus to plan our meals on vacation. Sanaa's is another restaurant that I have been wanting to try. It is a tentative for my 2017 trip.

Do you have any must do restaurants each time?

My laptop is still not fixed. I guess I will have to rewrite the next chapter. I typically save my work in two forms but didn't this past time. Just me luck.

Do you have any must do restaurants each time?

I'd say the only one that is usually a must-do for us is Be Our Guest. Sometimes for dinner, and if not then we tried to get a FP for lunch (now they're doing reservations for that too... and breakfast!). We enjoy the food and as a huge Beauty and the Beast fan I just love the atmosphere. If I'm going with someone that hasn't done Be Our Guest before, I try 180 days out to get a dinner reservation.

I'd say the only one that is usually a must-do for us is Be Our Guest. Sometimes for dinner, and if not then we tried to get a FP for lunch (now they're doing reservations for that too... and breakfast!). We enjoy the food and as a huge Beauty and the Beast fan I just love the atmosphere. If I'm going with someone that hasn't done Be Our Guest before, I try 180 days out to get a dinner reservation.

I loved the restaurant too. We were there just once on this trip. I had one of the Fastpass reservations for lunch. It was our favorite lunch! Great food for counter service credit and a wonderful atmosphere! Like you, I love Beauty and the Beast. I loved all the details. I made sure to walk around through the other areas while I was there so I was able to see it all.

It is definitely on my Must-Do list for my next trip! I wasn't aware that they are now open for breakfast and are taking regular reservations now. Good info to know!

I think I might give it a try for breakfast. I have always wanted to do a breakfast reservation to get into the park early and see things without the big crowds. I just have never been able to convince the rest of my family to get up early on vacation. I might have to just have breakfast there by myself and let the rest of my family join me in the park later.

That is sounding like a fun option the more I think about it! I know I could happily spending time in MK on my own taking things in at my own pace before my family joins me for the day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter