For the First Time in Forever... I Did Not Enjoy My Vacation to Disney World

F and W's end explains a good bit of the problem.

But I swear the bigger issue is that there are very few "low crowd" times now. There is no time on the calendar when there is releif.

Redistribution has made it worse on many if not most days.

My example is that my last two summer crowds...and a spring break week... were way more bearable than my last trip in November and January.

That is the exact opposite of the first 35 years of the compound.

It makes everyone more tense...and it will be a real problem for the operation if they don't take it seriously.

You can't charge more for less comfort and get away with it forever.

This is our exact experience and what I think a lot of people are upset about when they complain about crowds. Summer and holidays were always crowded...30 years ago until today. But, for people who have the flexibility to travel during the 'slow' season...there is no slow season.

Disney has done an amazing job filling up every week and month with large crowds and that's what makes it ridiculous for those of us who used to go at the end of January and see little to no crowds but now are seeing giant tour groups making waits 75 minutes or longer. Or making the sidewalk at World Showcase impassable - which is what happened to us in January 2013. So this year we decided to go the week before Thanksgiving since everyone said that was a great week to go, but what started out at level 3 crowd predictions were up to 5 & 6's by the time we arrived. And 5 & 6's to me are like 7 & 8's years ago.

Again, ride times weren't too bad in the mornings (except the 30 minute wait time for TSMM with FPs) but the crowds just walking around to get anywhere, Disney Springs, and using Disney transportation were crazy. And, in the afternoons I checked my app and ride times for the headlines were hitting 40 minutes plus...on a supposedly 'slow' week.

This is our exact experience and what I think a lot of people are upset about when they complain about crowds. Summer and holidays were always crowded...30 years ago until today. But, for people who have the flexibility to travel during the 'slow' season...there is no slow season.

Disney has done an amazing job filling up every week and month with large crowds and that's what makes it ridiculous for those of us who used to go at the end of January and see little to no crowds but now are seeing giant tour groups making waits 75 minutes or longer. Or making the sidewalk at World Showcase impassable - which is what happened to us in January 2013. So this year we decided to go the week before Thanksgiving since everyone said that was a great week to go, but what started out at level 3 crowd predictions were up to 5 & 6's by the time we arrived. And 5 & 6's to me are like 7 & 8's years ago.

Again, ride times weren't too bad in the mornings (except the 30 minute wait time for TSMM with FPs) but the crowds just walking around to get anywhere, Disney Springs, and using Disney transportation were crazy. And, in the afternoons I checked my app and ride times for the headlines were hitting 40 minutes plus...on a supposedly 'slow' week.

Honestly...we need a good old fashioned, hard recession...because nobody is saying "no" right now.

It makes the place not worth it in my opinion. Because you shoudnt have to wait 40 for 90% of what they offer and it only emboldens them to continue to tack on price increases.

Am I saying that customers are ruining the place?
Not entirely...but you can't continue to complain and still keep getting in line...which is really what's happening.

Honestly...we need a good old fashioned, hard recession...because nobody is saying "no" right now.

It makes the place not worth it in my opinion. Because you shoudnt have to wait 40 for 90% of what they offer and it only emboldens them to continue to tack on price increases.

Am I saying that customers are ruining the place?
Not entirely...but you can't continue to complain and still keep getting in line...which is really what's happening.

I agree completely! And I can't blame Disney for asking top dollar if people are paying it, right? I mean from a business perspective they seem to be making all the right choices. Although, I am wondering if the bubble will pop as people pay more and more and deal with more and more hassle. Of course, by the time that bubble pops Avatar and then Star Wars will lead to a new bubble of demand.

I will say that we are done with Disney for several years. Maybe when Star Wars land opens and some of the newness wears off...so like 2022?? LOL!

And, my 40 minute afternoon times is a huge underestimate for the most popular rides like 7DMT, Soarin, TSMM,RNRR, and TT, which were 75-90 minutes...lucky I was there during a slow week! Crazy!

Disney has done an amazing job filling up every week and month with large crowds
This is so true. They've extended the holiday parties - Halloween and Christmas. They've extended Food and Wine (not sure about Flower and Garden). RunDisney has grown tremendously. There are now events in January, February, April, and November that bring thousands and thousands of people to the resort. We were in Epcot the day after the Wine and Dine Half and we felt like we were the only ones not wearing race medals around our necks. And let's not forget "free" dining.

This is so true. They've extended the holiday parties - Halloween and Christmas. They've extended Food and Wine (not sure about Flower and Garden). RunDisney has grown tremendously. There are now events in January, February, April, and November that bring thousands and thousands of people to the resort. We were in Epcot the day after the Wine and Dine Half and we felt like we were the only ones not wearing race medals around our necks. And let's not forget "free" dining.
Just announced an expanded flower and garden.

I got married in Epcot that week...

And after seeing it last year i won't be going back. The ship has sailed.

The atmosphere that made me choose that in the first place is likely gone forever

I got married in Epcot that week...

The atmosphere that made me choose that in the first place is likely gone forever
Congrats!

Can you explain what you mean? I'm not really sure what you're saying here.

And walking around the parks is like walking through Times Square anymore. It is just packed everywhere all the time. I don't really know that there is anything that Disney can do about it either unless they start closing the gates and that isn't going to happen.

There's probably a mad scramble behind the scenes to address such a catastrophe.

I agree that it's all too much and not what it once was but I've been contributing to all of it too. Our trips have decreased in length but I've already started researching other places for next year. We're only one family but this is all we can do.

I agree completely!

So you "honestly" want/prefer/hope/wish the vast majority of Americans and their children would suffer financially for years (maybe a decade), so you can have a more leisurely week in WDW, which would also hit WDW (and all of its workers) hard as well, and likely stop the TSM and Star Wars expansions.

Last edited:
So you "honestly" want/prefer/hope/wish the vast majority of Americans and their children would suffer financially for years (maybe a decade), so you can have a more leisurely week in WDW, which would also hit WDW (and all of its workers) hard as well, and likely stop the TSM and Star Wars expansions.

Well, I agreed more to the it's not worth it waiting 40 minutes in a slow season and that we can't complain if we are still going.

And I would assume lockedoutlogic really doesn't advocate for a global economic meltdown so s/he can go to WDW with less crowds. I read that as more of a sarcastic solution to the only thing that would probably truly have any affect on Disney crowds given current consumer trends.

There is one thing lockedoutlogic doesn't do and that is use sarcasm.

Of course... The statement they don't use sarcasm could be sarcastic itself...:rolleyes2

In the microcosm of "ease of walt Disney world"...and only that...yes.

But...you really need to separate the garbage spewed on "cable news" and understand that the economic problems that create recessions are fundamental, societal, and the battle to save the "average man" was lost years ago.
And politics/power/money won't allow that to reverse course.

So yes...it looks bad...but I'm being more practical than you probably want to give me credit for.

Also, recessions have...honestly...protected the overall consumer at wdw since its first day. It has controlled price increases/gouging, it has caused the suits to reevaluate the importance of their customers - even and perhaps especially Michael Eisner...it has created "itch" by twdc to "create" after periods of little capital available.

This manager has done nothing of the sort. Sitting on hands for long periods of time and publically b!tching repeatedly about giving discounts during the housing crash - which was the most dangerous Ponzi scheme in perhaps world history - which was government backed/supported.

It's just a very dangerous time if you're a fan of Disney parks...on all fronts.
I can't shake my gut off that thought and it has a good track record.

There is one thing lockedoutlogic doesn't do and that is use sarcasm.

Of course... The statement they don't use sarcasm could be sarcastic itself...:rolleyes2

I don't wish hardship on anyone...and tho I am trapped in jersey I was raised to give someone my last dollar and never think to ask for it back...

But the consumer/seller relationship in this experiment is out of balance in my opinion and you can't trust the lemmings to put the brakes on before they hit the cliff

You have to occasionally put a wall up on the edge...
...with razor wire...and drones ;)

2004...the end of food and wine, great weather, light crowds...low hotel season, vacation club available.

No longer

In the microcosm of "ease of walt Disney world"...and only that...yes.

I don't wish hardship on anyone..

The "HONESTLY" true colors have been spilled, but are far from surprising.

From the expansions take too long, to the now others get my multiple FP's, to the upcharge parties exclusivities ripoff even though they sell out, to the prices are too high, to the packed year around crowds, to wanting to see WDW take a hit-why would anyone on here not believe you would want a hard recession to accomplish all of the above? Esp when you said exactly that and proceeded it with "Honestly". You have a perfect right to want that.

Backtracking after to say it would be best for everyone because their trip to WDW would be cheaper/better is ridiculous.

Even if it was believable that everyone taking the hit back home in their day to day lives for years and years, would make the WDW trips better and cheaper-that would have to mean fewer folks (lower crowds) could afford to go or even care about a vacation. Losing a job will save you some money at WDW-yea.

If way less are going (so your enjoyment can increase) how does that equate to better for everyone?

Well, I agreed more to the it's not worth it waiting 40 minutes in a slow season and that we can't complain if we are still going.

And I would assume lockedoutlogic really doesn't advocate for a global economic meltdown so s/he can go to WDW with less crowds.

I agree completely!

You agreed "completely"-and it wasn't a "global market meltdown", it was a "hard recession".

Last edited:
The "HONESTLY" true colors have been spilled, but are far from surprising.

From the expansions take too long, to the now others get my multiple FP's, to the upcharge parties exclusivities ripoff even though they sell out, to the prices are too high, to the packed year around crowds, to wanting to see WDW take a hit-why would anyone on here not believe you would want a hard recession to accomplish all of the above? Esp when you said exactly that and proceeded it with "Honestly". You have a perfect right to want that.

Backtracking after to say it would be best for everyone because their trip to WDW would be cheaper/better is ridiculous.

Even if it was believable that everyone taking the hit back home in their day to day lives for years and years, would make the WDW trips better and cheaper-that would have to mean fewer folks (lower crowds) could afford to go or even care about a vacation. Losing a job will save you some money at WDW-yea.

If way less are going (so your enjoyment can increase) how does that equate to better for everyone?

You agreed "completely"-and it wasn't a "global market meltdown", it was a "hard recession".

I do agree completely to the parts I specifically mentioned. I also agree that Disney will continue to grow as long as people have the money to keep paying the increased prices. It's been proven by the continual increase of consumer demand for Disney. And, I also said good for Disney. It's smart business and they've been successful.

I never agreed that I hope it happens that we have a recession...however you want to read my post. That doesn't even make any sense. A recession at this point will just mean we've all been scr**ed by big banks and Wall Street yet again. And that's not something I'm cool with. But, that's a conversation for another thread.

Aside from the economy issues and other topics we've already discussed, I think there's something else, more of a cultural issue, that we haven't really touched on. Years ago, going to Disney World wasn't really a thing. It wasn't on most people's radar. For us, it was an amusement park 1,000 miles from home. We had a slew of places we could go within a couple of hours drive. Why would we pack up and go that distance?

Today, however, many people see a family trip to Disney as a must-do, a rite of passage as parents. And even long before parenthood. High school senior trips are routinely to Disney World. When I was a senior, we went to Washington, D.C. for the day. Mention that today and you'd get laughed at.

It has become routine for nearly everyone, almost regardless of socioeconomic status, to travel to Disney World. I work in a very poor area and I frequently have patients tell me that they are going to or have recently returned from Disney World. It has just become standard practice. Of course some of us can afford multiple trips each year and others can only afford a once in a lifetime trip, but the end result is that many, many more people are visiting WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter