For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just drove down in October. It took 16.5 hours each way with gas and potty breaks for everyone. I'm sure we will drive down again in the near future. However, we just got airfare for five people for $94 round trip. Gotta love Spririt's sales. So it looks like the next trip our drive will only be to AC airport.

We just drove down in October. It took 16.5 hours each way with gas and potty breaks for everyone. I'm sure we will drive down again in the near future. However, we just got airfare for five people for $94 round trip. Gotta love Spririt's sales. So it looks like the next trip our drive will only be to AC airport.

Great time: 16.5 hours! That's our best time (last spring), too. But that's really movin.' :moped:

The major traffic problems always seem to develop around Washinton D.C. (Wilson Bridge construction) and northern Virginia.

well we are from red bank, nj (JERSEY SHORE BABY!!!) we have driven a few times but teh last time we have gone at all was june 06. we drove down and all ws well. me and the gf take turns. we leave at about 10pm and arrive 1 or 2 pm the next day. my record is just under 15 hours coming home. BUUUUT, last year on our way home, right at the St. George, South Carolina exit (i will never forget that) the drive belt on the car snapped. and this was about 430pm pon a saturday. and the place couldnt find a belt to fit the car and they were closed on sunday and even then it would be up to 2 days to have teh part shipped. well, with the gf in tears (this place looked like a scene STRAIGHT out of a horror movie) i started talking to the one mechanic and asked if he had a belt even close to what we needed. so i measured and decided that i coudl finish the drivve home without air conditioning. long story short, we worked it out and almost 24 hours after leaving kissimmee, i saw exit 109 of the parkway. lol. longest ride home from florida in MY LIFE!!!

Great time: 16.5 hours! That's our best time (last spring), too. But that's really movin.' :moped:

The major traffic problems always seem to develop around Washinton D.C. (Wilson Bridge construction) and northern Virginia.

the trick to making faster times is to plan the trip so u get to the dc/baltimore area during off peak hours. and a radar detector (although illegal in va and dc) helps a lot. im also a cop so i tend to drive a little faster than most. but still, i try to set the cruise control 10 miles an hour over the speed limit and just relax.

We try to go 2 times a year from Albany N.Y. We drive roundtrip. The trip there is fun, but the ride home is the hardest!
We have our favorite rest stops to go to and we stay over in Fayettevile each time. We are thinking of taking the train this time.:confused3

We are 2120 miles round trip from Spfld Il and do it 2-3 times per year! Usually cost us this in gas:

Start - full tank $50
Fill up twice on way down $100 or just under
Start with full tank on way back $50
Fill up twice on way back $100

So bascially costs us a little under $300 in gas for the round trip depending the prices. We don't stop to spend the night. We typically leave after school. We'll stop for supper around 8 or 9. The kids eventually fall asleep and then we'll stop for breakfast somewhere in northern florida. So food for the 5 of us will cost $60-80 round trip. It's hard to fly and rent a car for this for 5 people.

We are 2120 miles round trip from Spfld Il and do it 2-3 times per year! Usually cost us this in gas:

Start - full tank $50
Fill up twice on way down $100 or just under
Start with full tank on way back $50
Fill up twice on way back $100

So bascially costs us a little under $300 in gas for the round trip depending the prices. We don't stop to spend the night. We typically leave after school. We'll stop for supper around 8 or 9. The kids eventually fall asleep and then we'll stop for breakfast somewhere in northern florida. So food for the 5 of us will cost $60-80 round trip. It's hard to fly and rent a car for this for 5 people.

yea ive always figured that gas there and back and driving around in orlando was about 350ish. and the flight down (2 adults) and a rental car is about 650/700. tough tradeoff

the trick to making faster times is to plan the trip so u get to the dc/baltimore area during off peak hours. and a radar detector (although illegal in va and dc) helps a lot. im also a cop so i tend to drive a little faster than most. but still, i try to set the cruise control 10 miles an hour over the speed limit and just relax.

Thanks for that clarification on the length of your trip. I would imagine that your detector and your status as a police officer can make it happen. Still, chopping off 90 minutes is quite remarkable.

All the best.

We drive just over 2000 miles one way from eastern Canada (about 30 miles further east than photobearsam) and have gone twice in one year a couple of times. we usually leave after school on thursday and arrive at WDW Saturday afternoon going down, and coming home if we leave early in the am we get home in 2 days. The drive home is tough until we get out of Florida, by that time we have resigned ourselves to the fact we have to go home, and are beggining to plan the next trip. :goodvibes ;)

We are leaving a week from today, for our first time driving down. We have gone to Florida every year for 10 years, but have always flown down. This year we want to stop on the way back at my brothers in NC so driving was the best option for this. We will be gone for 2 weeks. We are sooo excited for our roadtrip! Dh did this 2x a year all through high school(20 years ago) with his dm and dsf, and he did it a few times when he was racing motorcycles pro am down in daytona, but this is the first time for us as a family.

We are leaving around 2 in the afternoon, and driving until we can't keep our eyes open and will stop and catch a few zzzzz's in the truck then continue on.

Should be interesting to compare the costs to others as we will be fueling up with diesal! (Dodge 3500 duelly with an 8 foot bed)

we have driven twice from NEPA(both last year), and are gearing up for our third drive this Wednesday. We are planning to leave late Tuesday drive to Hilton Head, spend Wednesday night there and leave early AM Thursday to finish the trip.
Last 2 times we drove straight through, but since we are going to Florida for a month this time, we decided not to rush it too much.
Agreed that the trip home is awful, though. Last February we came home right after a major storm shut down some highways in PA and we slept at a roadstop for about an hour before they opened up a route which took us 2 hours out of the way to get back home.

I'm sure we could have done better if we controlled the bathroom breaks, we usually stopped every 2.5 hours or so. Still not bad though.

I'm sure we could have done better if we controlled the bathroom breaks, we usually stopped every 2.5 hours or so. Still not bad though.

"Not bad," you say! Impressive, say we!
We'll see what happens soon on our next trip. Very soon! :yay:

We drive just over 2000 miles one way from eastern Canada (about 30 miles further east than photobearsam) and have gone twice in one year a couple of times. we usually leave after school on thursday and arrive at WDW Saturday afternoon going down, and coming home if we leave early in the am we get home in 2 days. The drive home is tough until we get out of Florida, by that time we have resigned ourselves to the fact we have to go home, and are beggining to plan the next trip. :goodvibes ;)

Hey there neighbour...How's it going eh???;)

My parents drive from Long Island to Disney several times a year.
Me.... I save 18 hours and fly.....:goodvibes

"Not bad," you say! Impressive, say we!
We'll see what happens soon on our next trip. Very soon! :yay:

What time are you leaving? This could be a huge factor in avoiding the congestion. We left at 7:30pm going down and 5am coming home.

We drive 1300 miles each way every year, pulling a trailer once and will again this year. I would do it many more times if I could get the time off. 4 more years till early retirement. Then we'll be there a LOT more. :thumbsup2

I live in North Jersey and just had my best time yet. I left at 3:30a and was at Saratoga by 8:30p. With 3 kids, yes we did stop a few times just made them quicker. It was nice to have dinner when we got there. We drove twice this year. Some years more or les depending on airfare. I am jealous of you guys in south Jersey-2 hours closer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter