"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Just a fyi for everyone...In all my years of driving the route, I have never hit so many traffic jams and stop-and-go traffic along 26 and 77 (both ways) as this trip. In most cases it seemed to simply be a merging issue from on-ramps. The worst one was a road construction on 26 (hours long). It was all afternoon weekend traffic.

Gas is $2.10 at MK Speedway station.

The feel like temperature is 91 degrees at 11:05 pm!!!
Anyone leaving soon brace yourself for extreme heat. We've been here since Friday and have only gone to parks at night.

Time to jump back into this thread. We will be hitting the road on Friday afternoon from southern NJ. Heading down 295 into Delaware and on from there.

Just a fyi for everyone...In all my years of driving the route, I have never hit so many traffic jams and stop-and-go traffic along 26 and 77 (both ways) as this trip. In most cases it seemed to simply be a merging issue from on-ramps. The worst one was a road construction on 26 (hours long). It was all afternoon weekend traffic.

Was there actual construction going on during the weekend or just cones and stuff?

Gas is $2.10 at MK Speedway station.

The feel like temperature is 91 degrees at 11:05 pm!!!
Anyone leaving soon brace yourself for extreme heat. We've been here since Friday and have only gone to parks at night.

What has the temperature been like during the day?

I need to finish packing!! We leave at 3 am :cool1:

Time to jump back into this thread. We will be hitting the road on Friday afternoon from southern NJ. Heading down 295 into Delaware and on from there.

We're hitting the road around 5am from MA this Friday too! Hoping the worst of the commuter traffic will be cleared out by the time we pass through NY. I've heard reports of I-95 construction traffic, that clears near Emporia, VA, so we're hoping the delays won't be too extreme. Safe travels, and good weather for our vacations.:drive::sunny:

Was there actual construction going on during the weekend or just cones and stuff?

What has the temperature been like during the day?

I need to finish packing!! We leave at 3 am :cool1:
The feel like temps have been over 100 since we've been here. Today was 103
Just make sure you stay hydrated. Bring lots of bottled water with you to the parks if you can.
I think going to the parks at night has been a good strategy for us.
Have a great trip!!

The feel like temps have been over 100 since we've been here. Today was 103
Just make sure you stay hydrated. Bring lots of bottled water with you to the parks if you can.
I think going to the parks at night has been a good strategy for us.
Have a great trip!!

Thanks!

So we left home at 3:40 this morning and stopped in Charlotte NC around 3:20 this afternoon. Tomorrow we're going abt 4 1/2 hours to Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary in Locust Grove GA. Then we're going to drive a few more hours and stop for the night. We check into our timeshare near Disney on Friday.

Thanks!

So we left home at 3:40 this morning and stopped in Charlotte NC around 3:20 this afternoon. Tomorrow we're going abt 4 1/2 hours to Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary in Locust Grove GA. Then we're going to drive a few more hours and stop for the night. We check into our timeshare near Disney on Friday.

Happy travels!:)

Hi all! I am not new to Disney, but I am new to driving! I am thinking of doing a trip in August 2017 with my 3 kiddos and my niece (ages 13,11,8,5 at the time). I think the only way I can pull it off is if I drive! I will be driving from Maine with a mapquest time of 22 hours. I will be the only driver and hope to make it with one overnight stop. What is a realistic stop point for day one? My ideal would be to leave early on a Saturday morn, stop by 5-6pm and be on the road again by 7ish and at Disney by dinner...Is that doable? I know I will need to factor in stops for the kids, so I want to be completely realistic. I don't want to have expectations that aren't reasonable. Thanks for any help and insight!

Hi all! I am not new to Disney, but I am new to driving! I am thinking of doing a trip in August 2017 with my 3 kiddos and my niece (ages 13,11,8,5 at the time). I think the only way I can pull it off is if I drive! I will be driving from Maine with a mapquest time of 22 hours. I will be the only driver and hope to make it with one overnight stop. What is a realistic stop point for day one? My ideal would be to leave early on a Saturday morn, stop by 5-6pm and be on the road again by 7ish and at Disney by dinner...Is that doable? I know I will need to factor in stops for the kids, so I want to be completely realistic. I don't want to have expectations that aren't reasonable. Thanks for any help and insight!

I tend to use www.i95ExitGuide.com to help plan my stopping place. It has a section called Great Overnight Stops that breaks the drive into 1-3 overnight stops based on approximately where you start from. It also lists hotels, restaurants, and rest stops by exit in each state. Happy planning!

Excitement is starting to hit. Sunday after work I will be hitting the road. I flew down the last few times since they were shorter race weekend trips, but for some reason I love driving down a bit more. I will be heading down via I-24 E and I-75 S and plan on reading back in the thread, but would love to hear updates on the road conditions from anyone who recently took the route. I will be the only driver and while its normally just me, this trip I will have 2 16 year old passengers. I pack snacks and drink and only stop for fuel. :car:

I tend to use www.i95ExitGuide.com to help plan my stopping place. It has a section called Great Overnight Stops that breaks the drive into 1-3 overnight stops based on approximately where you start from. It also lists hotels, restaurants, and rest stops by exit in each state. Happy planning!

Thanks! I'll definitely start there :)

Leaving on our trek tonight/early morning. Driving along the i75. Is everything clear there?

Leaving on our trek tonight/early morning. Driving along the i75. Is everything clear there?

Where are you now? I-75 is shut down just south of Cincinnati for a wreck. I can help you get around it. Just taking the I-275 bypass won't work since the wreck is south of the bypass.

Edit to add...You're on the road now, or are you leaving tonight? If tonight, then never mind. The wreck should probably be cleared up in a few hours.

Edit to add...And the wreck is cleared up. It's still slow going, but traffic is moving. If you're on I-75, probably best to stay on it.

Last edited:
If you're north of Toledo you probably already know, but I-75 through Toledo isn't good right now with a ton of construction including a detour around a bridge that is out. I wouldn't attempt that anytime even close to rush hour.

ETA the bridge that's out is northbound not southbound

Last edited:
So we drove to Gainesville Fl and stopped for the night.

PSA for anyone driving I75 through GA. Watch out for sheriffs. I got pulled over and told I was tagged at 88 on a laser radar gun and got a ticket. There was NO WAY I was going 80 anything so it's BS but there's no way I can fight it. I won't know how much the ticket costs until I log in online to see.

Heading to our timeshare by Disney in a bit. Less than 2 hours away

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter