"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

For those that plan on driving to WDW anytime soon, I suggest that you get the Waze app for your phones. Made the drive from MA to FL in February for a non-Disney trip and only hit one spot where I wasn't already warned about police ahead. Helped me to get there in record time!

For those that plan on driving to WDW anytime soon, I suggest that you get the Waze app for your phones. Made the drive from MA to FL in February for a non-Disney trip and only hit one spot where I wasn't already warned about police ahead. Helped me to get there in record time!

We've got the Waze app and will put it to the test next month.

All the best! :thumbsup2

We did the Waze app and it really helped getting through the northeast: Virginia up to RI. So glad someone here mentioned it.

I think I am going crazy again. Thinking about driving from Omaha to Orlando with an overnight in Chattanooga or Atlanta. We did it last year in December and I said I was not going to drive down again, but we also did it non-stop.... what do you road warriors think?

We drove from Sioux City to Disney last summer and did most of it straight through. Stopped a few times and took a cat nap at a rest area. We were just so excited to get there! We also had 2 drivers. We will be repeating this drive in December!

Awaiting dvczerfs' latest drive report (see all time records on page 1)!

All the best! :thumbsup2

Good afternoon! First day back to work today. We are home. Had a great 10 nights at wdw. It was great watching Briana walk up to the people she worked with, tapping them on the shoulder and watching there expressions. Lol
They all asked when is she coming back. Lol She does miss the people she worked with and worked for but she likes wdw to be her vacation spot, not her work place. I know, I didn't get it either until she ask me one day, do you vacation where you work? Lol Smart kid lol
We departed at 1:15am from Boardwalk. We were traveling on a week day and no matter what time and what direction we went, I was going to hit rush hour near a city. Thank god we did depart when we did, I got a text from a buddy of mine who, let's just say, works for the government lol, there was a reck on i95 at 3:30am in Jacksonville involving three semis and a few cars and there were fatalities and i95 north bound was completely closed and would be for hours.
We hit Charolete Nc around 8:15. It wasn't as bad as I thought. We never stopped completely but crawled for a few miles.
We hit i81 and there was a repaying project going on which slowed us up a bit.
Next, there was a truck fire in Harrisburg Pa. But crawled through that. All things considered, we only lost about 45 min. Total.
Dw and I are are all re packed and ready to go again in 124 days. We are staying 10 nights in a one bedroom at Boardwalk.
Friends on Facebook follow our vacation and know we didn't have hot water at okw for a few nights and after a "polite" discussion, which I don't get pissed often but one or two things were going to happen. I get moved into a new resort with benifits or I'm going to jail. They moved us into a one bedroom at Boardwalk , facing the Boardwalk and Epcot, refunded three nights worth of points and gave us each 3 extra fps of our choice per day the rest of our stay.
Dispite the water problem, we had a great time. Looking forward to making the drive again.

Good afternoon! First day back to work today. We are home. Had a great 10 nights at wdw. It was great watching Briana walk up to the people she worked with, tapping them on the shoulder and watching there expressions. Lol
They all asked when is she coming back. Lol She does miss the people she worked with and worked for but she likes wdw to be her vacation spot, not her work place. I know, I didn't get it either until she ask me one day, do you vacation where you work? Lol Smart kid lol
We departed at 1:15am from Boardwalk. We were traveling on a week day and no matter what time and what direction we went, I was going to hit rush hour near a city. Thank god we did depart when we did, I got a text from a buddy of mine who, let's just say, works for the government lol, there was a reck on i95 at 3:30am in Jacksonville involving three semis and a few cars and there were fatalities and i95 north bound was completely closed and would be for hours.
We hit Charolete Nc around 8:15. It wasn't as bad as I thought. We never stopped completely but crawled for a few miles.
We hit i81 and there was a repaying project going on which slowed us up a bit.
Next, there was a truck fire in Harrisburg Pa. But crawled through that. All things considered, we only lost about 45 min. Total.
Dw and I are are all re packed and ready to go again in 124 days. We are staying 10 nights in a one bedroom at Boardwalk.
Friends on Facebook follow our vacation and know we didn't have hot water at okw for a few nights and after a "polite" discussion, which I don't get pissed often but one or two things were going to happen. I get moved into a new resort with benifits or I'm going to jail. They moved us into a one bedroom at Boardwalk , facing the Boardwalk and Epcot, refunded three nights worth of points and gave us each 3 extra fps of our choice per day the rest of our stay.
Dispite the water problem, we had a great time. Looking forward to making the drive again.

Thanks for the report!

All the best. :thumbsup2

Thanks for all your responses. We just got back from our trip to Disney World. We drove from Massachusetts and did the inland route. It was a very scenic drive. We left at 2 a.m and got to Orangeburg, NC at 7:00. We stayed at a nice Fairfield inn. We came back on I 95 On a Sunday. ....the traffic at the George Washington bridge and the Tappan Zee was crazy. All in all we enjoyed the drive . We are actually thinking of going back in the summer because we still have points left and time on our annual pass.....I don't know maybe we are crazy to do that drive again. Anyway, thanks to all of you for your tips and info about the inland route. We really appreciate it.

What time do we need to leave Philadelphia to avoid DC rush hour?

We are in Limerick, and we have found that the best time to leave is 9 am. We miss rush hour in Baltimore, DC and Richmond, then we're on the easy 95 with no more rush hour issues until Jacksonville.

This implies a 2 day trip. We've left at 4 am and have run into more traffic and constructions issues in the "overnight" shift than we have during the day. Our worst delay in DC was at 5:30 am. So we like to leave at 9, drive until 10 pm (with a meal stop), then get up and leave the next day at 9 am and get to WDW by 3 check-in. Perfect schedule for us, no lost sleep, rested and ready to go when we arrive!

We are in Limerick, and we have found that the best time to leave is 9 am. We miss rush hour in Baltimore, DC and Richmond, then we're on the easy 95 with no more rush hour issues until Jacksonville.

This implies a 2 day trip. We've left at 4 am and have run into more traffic and constructions issues in the "overnight" shift than we have during the day. Our worst delay in DC was at 5:30 am. So we like to leave at 9, drive until 10 pm (with a meal stop), then get up and leave the next day at 9 am and get to WDW by 3 check-in. Perfect schedule for us, no lost sleep, rested and ready to go when we arrive!

Our most recent departure time (6:20 a.m.) from the Jersey Shore allowed us to miss lots of major traffic on I-95 (we had some minor rush hour traffic about an hour from our home prior to our I-295 link-up, which takes us thre the DE Memorial Bridge). We crossed into VA at 10:22 a.m. and crossed into FL at 9 p..m. (we stayed overnight at Yulee, just over the border).

Hmm. Just figured out that selling one share of Disney stock would allow us to pay for all gas and I-95 tolls on a one-way drive to WDW.

Hmm. Just figured out that selling one share of Disney stock would allow us to pay for all gas and I-95 tolls on a one-way drive to WDW.

Why, what's the price today???
che

Hi, we are leaving from right outside of Philly on Christmas morning. Does anyone what what is open along I95 to grab a bite to eat. I know my options will be slim to none. Just thought I would ask in case is missed something. Thanks!!!

Hi, we are leaving from right outside of Philly on Christmas morning. Does anyone what what is open along I95 to grab a bite to eat. I know my options will be slim to none. Just thought I would ask in case is missed something. Thanks!!!

I've don't know I-95 too much. However nationally, Denny's will be open. Waffle House will be open as well. I think you will start seeing Waffle Houses around Richmond VA. And I think IHOPs will be open; at least until 2 or 3 PM.

Hello all- my family has done the long drive from South Dakota twice, mainly due to financial reasons, and then changed to flying only once the money wasn't as much of an issue. However, after our last flight, which involved a rough landing, sick kiddo across the aisle, and a delay in being able to get off said stinky plane, my daughter announced she would no longer be flying We now are then considering making the drive again this December, as we do enjoy driving, just as long as we don't try to push it almost straight through again...once was enough for that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter