"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another question for you "Driving Lords":

If you use the toll roads in Florida, how do you pay for them? We've avoided toll roads before, but this trip we will almost need to use the toll roads as we are diverting to see an old friend. I did see the 'Pay by Plate' option for the Sun Pass, but I thought I'd check with all of you first. TIA :thumbsup2

I have another question for you "Driving Lords":

If you use the toll roads in Florida, how do you pay for them? We've avoided toll roads before, but this trip we will almost need to use the toll roads as we are diverting to see an old friend. I did see the 'Pay by Plate' option for the Sun Pass, but I thought I'd check with all of you first. TIA :thumbsup2

We are from PA and have EZ Pass which works everywhere in the northeast and midwest. But not in Florida. So we use change. Bummer.

We are from PA and have EZ Pass which works everywhere in the northeast and midwest. But not in Florida. So we use change. Bummer.

Ok...guess we will just have to get some change. It's a shame that EZ Pass DOESN'T work in Florida cause we have one of those!! :furious:

And I don't know if all FL toll roads are like this, but I was on one in southern FL earlier this year which had an unmanned entrance ramp toll that accepted coins only. Signage had not indicated this was the case, leading to a mad scamble to find the coins to satisfy the toll. There was no way to exit either. So my advice is bring some rolls of quarters with you just in case!

Us too. Part of my pre-trip list includes going to the bank for 2 rolls of quarters.

And I don't know if all FL toll roads are like this, but I was on one in southern FL earlier this year which had an unmanned entrance ramp toll that accepted coins only. Signage had not indicated this was the case, leading to a mad scamble to find the coins to satisfy the toll. There was no way to exit either. So my advice is bring some rolls of quarters with you just in case!
I just found our big ziploc bag of change in our van from last trip ;)

Im glad I read this as I didnt realize our ezpass wouldn't work. Will have to get some change. Thanks!

Well after many drives down from Chicago, and the last few we have been flying. We swore we wouldn't drive anymore. But considering for our New Years trip this year Airfare has been 400+ a person. it looks like we will suck it up and drive again. Wife made me promise no straight thru anymore, so I am planning on making it to Florida state line or Lake City before stopping.

Anyway, my question is about the ATL>WDW segment of the trip. Having never driven that section of road are there things I need to watch out for? We will be staying on the North side of ATL (that's where family is) and I'm suspecting traffic through ATL on a Thursday morning will delay us some.

Yeah, traffic will be an issue. We always say stay south of Atlanta, but you can't help it in this case.

I'm assuming more than one will be in your car. I'd just stay in the very far left lane (the HOV/carpool lane). I'm not sure how fast it will go during morning rush hour, but you'll still be moving.

Another suggestion...leave very early (before 6 AM) or very late (after 9). Good luck.

Yeah, traffic will be an issue. We always say stay south of Atlanta, but you can't help it in this case.

I'm assuming more than one will be in your car. I'd just stay in the very far left lane (the HOV/carpool lane). I'm not sure how fast it will go during morning rush hour, but you'll still be moving.

Another suggestion...leave very early (before 6 AM) or very late (after 9). Good luck.

Yes, there will be tow of us in the car. Leaving after 9 am is an option for us since we're only going to WDW that day, which should be about 7 hours. That would put us at our hotel between 4 and 5 pm.

I forgot to mention, if you really want to see something while your in florida.

take exit 68 off of I4, this is the first wdw exit near the crossroads.
when you get to the light at the end of the off ramp, turn left.

stay in the left lane and turn left at the next light. there will be a shell gas station on your right.

briana (dd) lives not to far from there. I picked her up sunday morning and needed gas. I pulled in to the pump. I NEVER LOOKED AT THE PRICE ON THE PUMP!!!!!

I put 93 oct. in my car. anyone what to venture a guess???????????????????/

$6.87 PER GALLON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REG. UNLEADED IS $5.55 PER GALLON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked up and seen the pump was at $48 and I wasn't there that long. I stopped the pump, took my receipt, got in the car and blew the horn when I drove off, doing the nj "wave"!!!!!

briana and I where yacking away and I wasn't paying attention.

so if you got time, stop in and see this place.

I forgot to mention, if you really want to see something while your in florida.

take exit 68 off of I4, this is the first wdw exit near the crossroads.
when you get to the light at the end of the off ramp, turn left.

stay in the left lane and turn left at the next light. there will be a shell gas station on your right.

$6.87 PER GALLON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REG. UNLEADED IS $5.55 PER GALLON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked up and seen the pump was at $48 and I wasn't there that long. I stopped the pump, took my receipt, got in the car and blew the horn when I drove off, doing the nj "wave"!!!!!

briana and I where yacking away and I wasn't paying attention.

so if you got time, stop in and see this place.

Holy Crap!!!! What the heck?!?! Last year when we drove to Miami DH kept commenting about how much LOWER the gas prices were down there than at home here in PA. I wonder why that station was so high?? That's insane! We will deff be avoiding that one as we are taking the Ram 1500 this time and NOT my Avenger since we're taking the boys. (my car gets 30 mpg - the Ram gets 17 - that would cost as much in gas as it is to stay at the Poly!!!!)

There are several on 535 that are sky high. They prey on the unsuspecting tourist who just figures prices are all similar

Okay been lurking for a bit.... we are in Kalamazoo Michigan and everyone thinks I'm nuts but it looks like it's quite a bit cheaper to drive to Orlando even though we have 4 kids (10,7,2,&4) and we're not gonna be able to go for a year or more but just going to hang out subscribe, read posts and learn for you all.... I'm not nuts to do it right? It seems to be much more economical even though not as convenient, but it's an experience also, right?!
Not sure how I missed Part IV, but I'm glad I found it!

We made our first drive from Eastern Wisconsin (about an hour north of Milwaukee) last year after three times flying down. And let me tell you, I'm jonesing for another drive! (Unfortunately, as you can see by my ticker, it'll be a few years :sad: ) So much fun, and it really was like a mini-adventure. We made the drive part of the trip, instead of just a means to an end. I loved seeing other parts of the country that you typically just fly over. I got a lot of enjoyment out of seeing how the landscape changes as you head south, and even things like the different billboards that you see on the drive were realy neat to me. And of course, you can't beat the convenience of not having to worry about luggage weight, both on the drive down and more importantly on the trip home after buying souvenirs. And that's not even talking about no TSA hassles, flight delays, lost luggage, stale/germ filled air in the plane cabin, etc. I can't ever see myself flying to Disney World (or just about any place else in the lower 48) again.

Just for those traversing the SE United States in route to WDW...

We just returned from our trip, OK-AR-TN-MS-AL-GA-FL along I-40/I-22/I-20/I-75, and found the cheapest gas to be in MS/AL, as low as $3.18 at the Love's just west of Tupelo, MS. Orlando prices were in the $3.39-$3.42/gal range. Highest price was right here in my dear home state of OK!

You MUST watch out in the Orlando area for some "sucker" gas price stops - there's a Mobil hawking $4.60+/gal regular! No way you should pay that much.

If you have a smartphone, you MUST pickup the "Gas Buddy" app - available for both iPhone and Android - it will take your GPS location and give you a constantly updated list of closest gas prices. It was INVALUABLE on our trip out and helped us locate the Love's in Tupelo well before we got into town. We noted that prices were just a bit higher once you got beyond it.

Any recommendations for a place to stay between Columbia, SC, and Savannah, GA, that will accommodate six in one room (parents and four kids under the age of 8)?

Dd and her dh are planning a trip to FL (St. Augustine where his sister lives, not WDW) for their tenth anniversary, leaving this Saturday. The other grandmother was supposed to have the kids and I was playing back up (because dh is disabled I can't be there with the kids 24/7 nor have them here) but her father has taken a turn for the worse, so now they are thinking about taking the kids to FL with them. Her biggest concern is whether they can get a single hotel room for all of them.

I've said all along that they should take the kids with them and cancel the camping trip to the Delaware beach in July. If I was a kid, I know where I would rather be!

Any recommendations for a place to stay between Columbia, SC, and Savannah, GA, that will accommodate six in one room (parents and four kids under the age of 8)?

Dd and her dh are planning a trip to FL (St. Augustine where his sister lives, not WDW) for their tenth anniversary, leaving this Saturday. The other grandmother was supposed to have the kids and I was playing back up (because dh is disabled I can't be there with the kids 24/7 nor have them here) but her father has taken a turn for the worse, so now they are thinking about taking the kids to FL with them. Her biggest concern is whether they can get a single hotel room for all of them.

I've said all along that they should take the kids with them and cancel the camping trip to the Delaware beach in July. If I was a kid, I know where I would rather be!

Are they going to be on I95? I'm guessing not since you said Columbia. My best suggestion is in Florence, SC off I-95. It's a Comfort Suites. Our room had 2 queens and a queen or double sofa bed. That is a great and newer hotel and I would highly recommend it. But that wouldn't work if they're not already traveling I-95. I really dislike the Comfort Inns and won't stay in one any more, but this Suites version was really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter