For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, needing some help here, but please dont laugh:rotfl:
W:rotfl: we make this drive twice a year, and somehow I mess up all the time... We are in Upstate NY, catskill mountains.... We are SUPPOSED to do -the 81-77-26-95-4 drive (at least I think thats how it goes)

BUT we manage to screw it up each time, and this past August, somehow we missed our turnoff and ended up in TENNESSEE.... :confused3 rofl, dont ask, I have no idea but this is our usual....

SO, my question is... I know the numbers.. BUT Where do I get them? the 81 is easy enough... it's the 77 and 26 that screw me up... hopefully someone can guide us, if not drive along with us next month!:rotfl2:

Don't feel bad, we almost messed up here once or twice ourselves. We are used to getting gas in Wytheville, VA if we take the route through Pittsburgh and WVA 79/19/77. If we go the 81/77/26/95 route, you won't hit the cheap gas in Wytheville, you have to get on 77 south before it. If you do get to Wytheville a few miles later you have gone too far and need to turn around. Get the cheap gas in Raleigh, I belive as you drive south through Virginia. It will get you all the way to Rick Ill, SC, the next best stop for cheap gas on this route.

I forgot to post the results of our first drive from Ypsilanti to Orlando.

Our trip dates were December 21st - January 5th.

We had snow from the time we left Ypsi until we reached Kentucky. We saw two jack knifed semis. Kind of scary :scared1:

I drove the entire way down. We stopped for the night in Atlanta and then continue to Orlando the next morning.

Here are our times:

12/21/12
5:21 am - left Ypsilanti
5:58 am - Ohio border
10:15 am - Kentucky border
1:26 pm - Tennessee border
3:56 pm - Georgia border
* I forgot to write down the time we reached the hotel

12/22/12
5:42 am - left Atlanta
10:15 am - Florida border
2:45 pm - Hilton hotel in DTD

We left WDW and stayed two nights at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort in SC. The resort is beautiful!! I would love to go back when its warmer.

We drove straight through from SC to Ypsilanti. We left about 5:00 am and got home around 9:00 pm. (I don't have the exact times. I was sick so I didn't write anything down)

The trip was great!!! The drive down wasn't bad at all. I could definitely see myself doing it again.

We prefer to fly but have not booked airfare and now that the prices are up, we are considering driving during President's week. We are a family of 3 and I am finding that it may not be worth it for us. Costs I have estimated coming from MA, 1300+ miles each way:
gas: 320
tolls: 100
hotels: 200 (1 night each way at a cheap hotel, could possibly do cheaper here)
food: 150 (again, could be cheaper)
wear and tear on car: 500 (estimate, maybe more, the roundtrip is approximately 2 months of mileage for me)
Total cost: $1270

We don't rent a car at WDW so I won't take out for that, though we would use it in this case because we want to go to IOA for a day.

So basically I'm trying to justify, do these cost sound right? Normally we can fly for $900 if I can get good airfare, but that's not possible now. And we would lose 4 days of our 9 day vacation driving. I am all for the adventure, I think it would be fun to do it once, but DH is less on board. DD has done 12hr trips twice and does well, if we can borrow a DVD player. Also if we left MA at 3pm on a Friday, when could we feasibly arrive? Or would it be better to leave Saturday early AM?

We prefer to fly but have not booked airfare and now that the prices are up, we are considering driving during President's week. We are a family of 3 and I am finding that it may not be worth it for us. Costs I have estimated coming from MA, 1300+ miles each way:
wear and tear on car: 500 (estimate, maybe more, the roundtrip is approximately 2 months of mileage for me)

We don't rent a car at WDW so I won't take out for that, though we would use it in this case because we want to go to IOA for a day.

So basically I'm trying to justify, do these cost sound right? Normally we can fly for $900 if I can get good airfare, but that's not possible now. And we would lose 4 days of our 9 day vacation driving. I am all for the adventure, I think it would be fun to do it once, but DH is less on board. DD has done 12hr trips twice and does well, if we can borrow a DVD player. Also if we left MA at 3pm on a Friday, when could we feasibly arrive? Or would it be better to leave Saturday early AM?

What kind of car are you driving? When I have gone in a late model Camry from Mass. it's been about 3 tanks of gas @ $50/tank. Tolls are roughly about $75 round trip. Food and hotel costs seem about right.

Hi! We are a family of 3 and drive twice a year to Florida from upstate NY...

We spend on gas 375
Hotel two night 170 (hotel with breakfast included)
food first night 100 (we bring sandwiches for the first part of the drive and eat dinner out)
wear and tear? no idea, I figure it as part of upkeep of the car
we pay no tolls, as we stay away from NYC
without wear and tear my costs are $645, usually less.

The drive has become part of our vacation.... stopping at South of the border, looking in gift shops (not buying), just laughing at the corniness, stopping at each state, getting a picture of their welcome signs, orange juice at the florida border... We buy a $50 gas card each month and save it, and then use it on our drives down...

Edbo - We have a VW Sportwagen, should be similar gas mileage.

Robin - what is South of the Border? I keep reading about it.

Edbo - We have a VW Sportwagen, should be similar gas mileage.

Robin - what is South of the Border? I keep reading about it.
:rotfl2:
You either love this place or hate it....

Its right at the border line between North Carolina and South Carolina.... There are literally dozens of signs, that make sure you cant miss it... Its like you stepped back in time, to the 50s, larger than life ceramic (plaster) animals, that are fun to take pictures with, gift shops, ice cream parlor.... just a fun place to take a break...very very hokey.... we cant make a drive without stopping....:)

:rotfl2:
You either love this place or hate it....

Its right at the border line between North Carolina and South Carolina.... There are literally dozens of signs, that make sure you cant miss it... Its like you stepped back in time, to the 50s, larger than life ceramic (plaster) animals, that are fun to take pictures with, gift shops, ice cream parlor.... just a fun place to take a break...very very hokey.... we cant make a drive without stopping....:)

pedro says....... :rotfl:

your numbers are there..... the wear and tear seems a bit high. its only 3000 miles. maybe an oil change.you wont blow off a set of tires. food? you still have to eat 365 days out of the year. it dont matter if your flying or driving. consider your gas, hotels if any and your time.

your numbers are there..... the wear and tear seems a bit high. its only 3000 miles. maybe an oil change.you wont blow off a set of tires. food? you still have to eat 365 days out of the year. it dont matter if your flying or driving. consider your gas, hotels if any and your time.

Saying hello my friend, when is the next trip? I am hoping for June or Sept. a good friend from the west coast was shooting for March, but not sure our plans are going to work out
Need some warmth after all the single digits this week!
:beach:

Coming from extreme Northern Illinois (Wisconsin is only 2 miles from location), I was considering stopping half-way, or at least when we got to Atlanta (12 hours). But the more and more I thought about it and talking to my brother who drives straight through, it seemed it would be more practical not to stop when we leave in late March.

How lit up are the roads? I have driven from I-55 all the way down to New Orleans on trips and there aren't much illumination.

I'll probably be taking I-65 to 75. I can't stand I-57 in Illinois. It is so boring to drive I want to pull my hair out. I'm planning on leaving @ 1pm, that would get us to Disney by 10am-ish. I work 3rd shift, so driving and being up at night is no big deal.

We are now sure we are driving down to Disney in September for the first time. Right now the plan is to leave Friday after the kids get home from school and drive straight thru.

What time would be the best to leave from the Philadelphia area in order to miss the most traffic?

Is I-95 the best route from this area?

We are now sure we are driving down to Disney in September for the first time. Right now the plan is to leave Friday after the kids get home from school and drive straight thru.

What time would be the best to leave from the Philadelphia area in order to miss the most traffic?

Is I-95 the best route from this area?

Leave after dinner! or even around midnight -- perhaps getting a nap before going. If you leave Royersford around midnight, you can be in WDW around dinner time the next evening. (I am assuming two or more drivers!). :drive:

Coming from extreme Northern Illinois (Wisconsin is only 2 miles from location), I was considering stopping half-way, or at least when we got to Atlanta (12 hours). But the more and more I thought about it and talking to my brother who drives straight through, it seemed it would be more practical not to stop when we leave in late March.

How lit up are the roads? I have driven from I-55 all the way down to New Orleans on trips and there aren't much illumination.

I'll probably be taking I-65 to 75. I can't stand I-57 in Illinois. It is so boring to drive I want to pull my hair out. I'm planning on leaving @ 1pm, that would get us to Disney by 10am-ish. I work 3rd shift, so driving and being up at night is no big deal.

You must be in the same area as me. We have driven straight through twice but DS is usually begging for a bed at about 12 hours so we tend to stop in Macon and once made it down to Vadalia. Coming home when we stop it will be in southern IL.

I know I-57 is boring but it is faster than I-65 so just keep that in mind.

You really only see lights in populated cities so there will be stretches of dark between cities in all the states.

Good luck and be safe. Oh and beware the riff raff that tends to hang out at some of the rest areas after dark.

We prefer to fly but have not booked airfare and now that the prices are up, we are considering driving during President's week.

We're in the same boat :) . We waffled back and forth about going in February, as we'll have relatives on property at that time. By the time we decided we were going after all, it was too late, airfare went through the roof. So, now we're driving. We're leaving from Western Massachusetts, just above Springfield.

If I may ask. Where in Mass do you hail from, and second. Would you please share your driving route with us? While I drove to Florida many-many moons ago, this will be my first time driving the family to WDW and I'm trying to boil down the "best" route.

Thanks for all the trip projections you've made regarding your own trip. A number of those listings were most helpful in making my own game plan, as we'll be heading down about the same time as you.

Thanks for any help you may give, have a safe trip and wonderful vacation at the House of the Mouse!

-

There's also a fantastic Mexican buffet in Mt Vernon,IL - Sundays only :)

Mt. Vernon is usually where we stop on the way home but sadly never on a Sunday. I will keep that in mind if we ever come back that way on Sunday. Thanks :thumbsup2

Mt. Vernon is usually where we stop on the way home but sadly never on a Sunday. I will keep that in mind if we ever come back that way on Sunday. Thanks :thumbsup2

Do you really save a lot of time going down I-57? I have never traveled on I-65 through Indianapolis or Lousiville. Looking at the times, I'd probably be hitting Indy by 5pm. A lot of traffic their?

Speaking of Mt. Vernon, Seems that is the stop I always make for gas. I always forget how long Illinois is from the tip to the bottom.

Do you really save a lot of time going down I-57? I have never traveled on I-65 through Indianapolis or Lousiville. Looking at the times, I'd probably be hitting Indy by 5pm. A lot of traffic their?

Speaking of Mt. Vernon, Seems that is the stop I always make for gas. I always forget how long Illinois is from the tip to the bottom.

We only drove I65 twice and both times there was more traffic especially trucks. I can't say how much time is saved maybe an hour. Drive I65 one way and I57 the other and time it to see which works best for you. Remember too with I65 you have to go around Indy too and at 5pm that's rush hour. I just always try to remember for us Nashville is 8 hours and Atlanta is 12 so I try to make sure I don't hit those near rush hour morning or evening. Nashville always seems to be the worst for us with the traffic and we fly through in the carpool lane in Atlanta no problem.

Saying hello my friend, when is the next trip? I am hoping for June or Sept. a good friend from the west coast was shooting for March, but not sure our plans are going to work out
Need some warmth after all the single digits this week!
:beach:

im ready now!!!! :rotfl2: we are going in may. our dd still has to tag along. 20 years old and daddy still takes her to walt disney world. :rotfl: (thats ok, she is more then welcome) she is going to audition when they come to philly this year. her best friend from college is down there now working at the bib.bob. in the castle and i know its killing her.:rotfl: she would like to do the college program but she makes a good buck teaching tap and working at penera bread all while going to school and has a 3.7gpa. she said for her to give up her non min. wage jobs to go to work for $8.00 and paying room and board just dont make much sense but we are working on her.:thumbsup2
tammy and i are also going down in september for 11 nights at okw. maybe we will be there the same time again in september. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter