For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you recommend that route over 81/64/95? Will taking 66/17 to 95 save much time?

ive never taken 64. in the winter months i use 81/66/17/95. takes me 16 1/2 hours. in the nonwinter months, i use 81/77/26/95. takes me 16 hours.
i dont think it would realy matter to much. dont hit the richmond area at rush hour. 17 is a nice 2 lane road. when you hit 95 off of 17 it gets a bit sporty with traffic but i like a challenge.

didnt keep the deer. the cops were fighting over it. tammy just clip the rear end of it and from what they tell me it didnt bleed that much. im not a hunter or even like the stuff. beef and pork for me, sometimes if the planets line up i eat chicken.:lmao:
tammy works in the bethlehem office. looks like they are renting a building in jersey city till they can get ny back and running.
all of brianas test are neg. we think its stress. she tends to fill up her days for some reason. she is a full time sophmore, works 25-29 hrs per week at panera and teaches 3 tap classes on monday nights.:sad2: she is giving upo the tap classes so we will see how things go. the kid has a 3.8 gpa so i cant use that as a point. :rotfl2:

Amazing how much damage a deer can do. Dh no long can hunt but his friend got two deer last week and provided us with the only part of the deer I actually enjoy, the "fish" from one and the tenderloin from the other.

Glad to see that your dd is going to slow down a bit. I don't know how she keeps up that schedule!

Thanks for the info about 66 v 64 and taking 17 to 95. We've done 64 in trips home from Williamsburg via Skyline Drive and that just seems to be one very long road.

Arrived at Disney - but had a bad suprise this morning. Yesterday when we were driving in TN, a truck ran over something in the road sending it up flying toward our car. Felt a jolt and we thought we ran over it. The car handled okay and alignment was still good, so we kept driving. Due to the weather we ended up arriving at our hotel for the night an hour later than planned. Hubby was tired so we just unloaded the car and went straight to bed. When hubby went out to get the car this morning he found out that the object tore up our front bumper. Now we have to call the insurance agent - what a way to start the vacation. Actually was glad we didn't stop and find out right away as we would have fretted about it all night. At least discovering it this morning, we have Disney to distract us.

Lizzybean said:
Thanks GusGus and cruisingkat! I'm planning on paying close attention to the forecast and I'll plan on leaving a day or 2 in advance if a storm is on the horizon. We drive straight thru but I like arriving a day ahead of time and staying at an embassy suites to relax and get in a good breakfast the next morning before hitting the parks. I might have to adjust that this trip. Although based on the weather so far it looks like we might have another mild winter.

We drove non-stop once. It just about killed us. I have a friend who recently did the same and she swore it just about killed them and they will never do it again either. We now stop over one night around Chattanooga on the way down. We don't reserve hotels ahead of time. We just stop and find a hotel that looks decent with an inexpensive rate. We have young kids, though, so we like to be able to be flexible on where we stop so we can go longer or shorter if need be.

Arrived at Disney - but had a bad suprise this morning. Yesterday when we were driving in TN, a truck ran over something in the road sending it up flying toward our car. Felt a jolt and we thought we ran over it. The car handled okay and alignment was still good, so we kept driving. Due to the weather we ended up arriving at our hotel for the night an hour later than planned. Hubby was tired so we just unloaded the car and went straight to bed. When hubby went out to get the car this morning he found out that the object tore up our front bumper. Now we have to call the insurance agent - what a way to start the vacation. Actually was glad we didn't stop and find out right away as we would have fretted about it all night. At least discovering it this morning, we have Disney to distract us.

Oh no that stinks. At least the car is driveable and at this point just calling it in to insurance is all you can do. One year we had a truck spew out a tire tread that hit our car. We got his license number and company name then pulled over right away to see if there was any damage. Thankfully we had none but it was scary. When I drive I refuse to drive behind trucks anymore and will go around them as soon as I can. Enjoy your vacation and try an forget about that stupid bumper.

ive never taken 64. in the winter months i use 81/66/17/95. takes me 16 1/2 hours. in the nonwinter months, i use 81/77/26/95. takes me 16 hours.
i dont think it would realy matter to much. dont hit the richmond area at rush hour. 17 is a nice 2 lane road. when you hit 95 off of 17 it gets a bit sporty with traffic but i like a challenge.

Thanks for the advice! We did 81/77/26/95 in April and decided it wouldn't be a good route during the winter. Taking 17 over to 95 sounds like the way to go.

angwill said:
Oh no that stinks. At least the car is driveable and at this point just calling it in to insurance is all you can do. One year we had a truck spew out a tire tread that hit our car. We got his license number and company name then pulled over right away to see if there was any damage. Thankfully we had none but it was scary. When I drive I refuse to drive behind trucks anymore and will go around them as soon as I can. Enjoy your vacation and try an forget about that stupid bumper.

We were trying to pass him. If we would have been behind him it wouldn't have hit us. His cab was a little ahead of us on our right. When he hit it he sent it out at an angle and it hit us on the left side front bumper.
Definitely forgetting about it-Sitting at POFQ Scat Cat club having a drink and listening to Elliot Dyson.

HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY!

The "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" thread celebrates its fifth anniversary today! :woohoo:

Here's some background info found on page 1 of this thread:

Part I of this thread debuted on December 6, 2007 and closed on July 14, 2010 after 251 pages, 3,755 replies and 210,793 views.

Part II of this thread opened on July 12, 2010 and closed on October 12, 2011 after 256 pages, 3,843 replies and 207,597 views.

[See page 1 for the All-Time Driving Records!]

Five years ago, we examined a thread about folks who drive to WDW, but it didn't focus on those who drive great distances -- like 1,000+ miles in one direction. Driving a few hours to WDW is nothing like driving 16 hours or more to Lake Buena Vista. It's more than just hours. So we created this thread. And we were not only pleasantly surprised by so many who shared our long distance trek but by the wonderful folks themselves who posted comments.

When to depart? Drive straight through? Gasoline prices? Construction areas? Weather reports? Hotel and motel suggestions? Roadside restaurants and fast food stops? You name it, it's been asked. And these questions (and more) will continue to be asked.

Now then, as the folks who began this thread we feel it would be best if...well, we took another drive to WDW. Call it a fifth anniversary drive. We're off again tomorrow with drive #28 (since 2002).

All the best. :thumbsup2

HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY!

The "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" thread celebrates its fifth anniversary today! :woohoo:

Part I of this thread debuted on December 6, 2007 and closed on July 14, 2010 after 251 pages, 3,755 replies and 210,793 views.

Part II of this thread opened on July 12, 2010 and closed on October 12, 2011 after 256 pages, 3,843 replies and 207,597 views.

Five years ago, we examined a thread about folks who drive to WDW, but it didn't focus on those who drive great distances -- llike 1,000+ miles in one direction. Driving a few hours to WDW is nothing like driving 16 hours or more to Lake Buena Vista. It's more than just hours. So we created this thread. And we were not only pleasantly surprised by so many who shared our long distance trek but by the wonderful folks themselves who posted comments.

When to depart? Drive straight through? Gasoline prices? Construction areas? Weather reports? Hotel and motel suggestions? Roadside restaurants and fast food stops? You name it, it's been asked. And these questions (and more) will continue to be asked.

Now then, as the folks who began this thread we feel it would be best if...well, we took another drive to WDW. Call it a fifth anniversary drive. We're off again tomorrow with drive #28 (since 2002).

Woohoo! Happy Anniversary everyone! Have a great drive to Florida BC1836! :yay:

GusGus77 said:
We drove non-stop once. It just about killed us. I have a friend who recently did the same and she swore it just about killed them and they will never do it again either. We now stop over one night around Chattanooga on the way down. We don't reserve hotels ahead of time. We just stop and find a hotel that looks decent with an inexpensive rate. We have young kids, though, so we like to be able to be flexible on where we stop so we can go longer or shorter if need be.

We go to Florida frequently for non-WDW trips as well so I feel like the trip is almost second nature now. I think if it were up to DH we'd spread it out but I'm so excited I just want to GET there. One thing I've noticed is the later we leave the harder the drive is for us. If we time it just right we do fine driving down. Going home, that's another story...Getting through Indiana is tough lol!

HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY!

Five years ago, we examined a thread about folks who drive to WDW, but it didn't focus on those who drive great distances -- like 1,000+ miles in one direction. Driving a few hours to WDW is nothing like driving 16 hours or more to Lake Buena Vista. It's more than just hours. So we created this thread. And we were not only pleasantly surprised by so many who shared our long distance trek but by the wonderful folks themselves who posted comments.

A Dumbo sized thanks to you and everyone who contributes to this thread. My wife and I accomplished our first (and certainly not last!) round trip drive from Wisconsin this past September, and I really feel like a big part of its success is due to all of the great information (and people) on this thread. Some might call us crazy, but we're not the ones fretting over airline prices, flight schedules, boarding policies, luggage weight, extra fees, TSA pat-downs, invasive X-Ray images, and all of the other unpleasant things associated with flying. I'd say it is virtually GOOFY to want to start your trip like that...

Greetings from Pooler, GA!

We decided against another straight drive-through; we departed this morning at 7:30 a.m. and arrived here 13 hours later, a 778-mile ride. No naps or off-the-road food breaks; however, frequent light rain and drizzle through several states reduced our speed at times. The traffic on I-95 in SC was extremely light. Some gas stations were posting $3.09 for regular in SC.

Tomorrow, a drive with two designated stops before arriving at another hotel outside of DTD, and then on Sunday morning a quick drive to our WDW hotel.

Greetings from Pooler, GA!

We decided against another straight drive-through; we departed this morning at 7:30 a.m. and arrived here 13 hours later, a 778-mile ride. No naps or off-the-road food breaks; however, frequent light rain and drizzle through several states reduced our speed at times. The traffic on I-95 in SC was extremely light. Some gas stations were posting $3.09 for regular in SC.

Tomorrow, a drive with two designated stops before arriving at another hotel outside of DTD, and then on Sunday morning a quick drive to our WDW hotel.

We are leaving on the 28th from Wilkes Barre and staying overnight at the Embassy Suites in Pooler. What route did you take? We are waiting to see what the weather is before we decide on taking 95 most of the way or staying on 81. We will have frequent stops because we are traveling with children and 1 pregnant women. We are planning on leaving in the middle of the night so maybe the kids will sleep most of the way. Be safe the rest of your trip.

Drove this morning from the Lake Buena Vista Holiday Inn Express to the Grand Floridian Resort. Hmm, those two facilities are somewhat different. ;)

We're here!

We've got dvczerfs beat when it comes to total Disney parks visits, but he maintains the all-time record for total drives. [See page one for the all-time records.] His record that will be difficult to beat. Kind of like Cy Young's total MLB pitching wins.

We are leaving on the 28th from Wilkes Barre and staying overnight at the Embassy Suites in Pooler. What route did you take? We are waiting to see what the weather is before we decide on taking 95 most of the way or staying on 81. We will have frequent stops because we are traveling with children and 1 pregnant women. We are planning on leaving in the middle of the night so maybe the kids will sleep most of the way. Be safe the rest of your trip.

We get on I-95 at the DE Memorial Bridge and take it all the way to I-4 in FL.

All the best...and off to EPCOT. :thumbsup2

TinaElmerRh said:

We are from your area as well. We take 81-66-15-17-95 get on 95 around fredericksburg Virginia.

goofyfigment said:
Another question. Do you usually book a road hotel in advance or just stop when you get tired

We booked a room at the Econolodge in Richburg SC.

We've got dvczerfs beat when it comes to total Disney parks visits, but he maintains the all-time record for total drives. [See page one for the all-time records.] His record that will be difficult to beat. Kind of like Cy Young's total MLB pitching wins.

Oh, I don't know, we've only got 47 more drives to tie them!

BC, gas in SC only 3.09? Prices have started moving downward again by me over the last week, but still well above that level. Maybe ours didn't drop due to Sandy, and we will see some big drops soon.

Enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter