Foods states are "known" for

Northeastern PA: cheesesteaks, hoagies, tasty cakes, PA Dutch food (pork, sauerkraut, pickled stuff....)

Maryland: steamed blue crabs with Old Bay

New England: seafood, lobstah, chowdah

Arkansas - watermelon, catfish
Illinois - butterfly pork chop sandwiches
Chicago (different than Illinois) - Italian beef sandwiches
Wisconsin - cheese curds, frozen custard
Iowa - loose meat sandwiches
Minnesota - hot dish, foods on a stick
Minneapolis/St. Paul - Juicy Lucy
Louisiana - boudain

New York: Buffalo area - Beef on Weck, Buffalo Wings
Watertown area - salt potatoes

Tracy

Tourists eat crab cakes. Here in Maryland we like out crabs steamed in beer and covered with seasoning (only one portion of which is Old Bay)

Mi: Apples ( just ask my DH, my dad, or my BFF I've been whining for a month about), Cherries, faygo, pigs in the blanket, Russ cheddar broc soup, Hudsonville ice cream
OH: Buckeyes ( I personally hate), skyline chili
IL: Chicago pizza
WI: Cheese
MD: Crabs
ME: lobster
LA: bayou food
TX: smoked brisket
NY: Cheesecake
PA: cheesesteak
ID: potatoes
HI: Pineapple

New York: Buffalo area - Beef on Weck, Buffalo Wings
Watertown area - salt potatoes

Tracy

Salt potatoes for Syracuse, too!

More NY ones: Italian sausage sandwiches, chicken riggies, apples, Riesling and icewines!

When it comes to BBQ, three states come to mind:
Texas - for the beef/brisket
South Carolina - pork based BBQ
Tennessee - killer ribs

New York and Illinois (mainly chicago) are both known for the pizza, but I am partial to New York style. Both are also known for different hot dogs. In that situation, I am partial to Chicago style.

Wisconsin is known for brats, beer, and cheese.

Louisiana makes some amazing cajun food.

If it's soul food, it has to be Mississippi.

Kentucky is known for fried chicken;)

And then we have Florida. In florida, of you don't have a Dole Whip, you have really missed out;)

When you travel to a different state, do you think of a dish that is a "must try" because the region is known for it? I wonder what specialties all 50 states are known for? These are a few that come to mind for me:

NY- Pizza

ME- Lobster

NC- BBQ

Wow, the main food I think of in New York is street vendors selling hot dogs and pretzels. Pizza to me is a Chicago tradition, and out here in California its a staple too.....a lot of different styles, Chicago, Authentic Italian, but no New York Style.

Maryland lobster, I can see.

I couldn't say about North Carolina, but looking up the tourist guides it talks about livermush made from pigs and fried chicken, no mention of BBQ.

Kentucky - might be cliche, but our fried chicken!!

Ohio - chili and buckeyes.

Virginia= peanuts, country ham
Georgia= peaches and pecans
Hawaii= macadamia nuts

Salt potatoes for Syracuse, too!

More NY ones: Italian sausage sandwiches, chicken riggies, apples, Riesling and icewines!

I guess sausage sandwich would be NJ, too, but no one would ever order an Italian sausage sandwich - just sausage sandwich (Italian sausage, onions, and peppers).

Indiana- Tenderloin.

Fried anything

Starch/Carb heavy meals- ie fried chicken, mashed potatas, noodles, rolls.

Wow, the main food I think of in New York is street vendors selling hot dogs and pretzels. Pizza to me is a Chicago tradition, and out here in California its a staple too.....a lot of different styles, Chicago, Authentic Italian, but no New York Style.

Maryland lobster, I can see.

I couldn't say about North Carolina, but looking up the tourist guides it talks about livermush made from pigs and fried chicken, no mention of BBQ.

North Carolina is pork BBQ and fried chicken...believe me.::yes::

Rhode Island - Johnny Cakes, Weiners (all the way), Quohogs and Narragansett beer!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter