food tax

Bethislucy

DIS Veteran
We are in the great debate of to DP or not DP. So one thing I wanted to check is what is the tax on food at WDW?

The DDP includes tax. If you are looking at menus and trying to compare to see if you save, you would need to add 6.5% to menu prices for OOP. The tip is 18% on the meals ordered, not meals plus tax. So $29 meal plus tax of $1.89 = $30.89. The 18% tip is not included in DDP, so you pay that both OOP or dining plan. Hope I didn't make it more confusing. My husband always tips on the tax too.

Tax on food and merchandise is 6.5% in most of DW, but it is 7% at the All Stars and Wide World of Sports because they are in a different county. The per night cost of the dining plan includes tax. When looking at restaurant menus, the prices do not include tax.

Most people will say not to figure in the tip, but for my family, it makes a difference. If on the DDP, we would have four entrees, four drinks, and four desserts (all adult), because that's what we've paid for with the DDP. If paying OOP, we would have four entrees, zero drinks, and MAYBE two desserts, because that's what we WANT. Four $3 drinks and two $7 desserts adds enough to the tip amount to make that a factor in our decision.

The DDP is a lot of food. IMHO, too many desserts and we don't normally drink soda. I'd never pay for the DDP as we would not get our money's worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!