Food Disappointment BIG Time...

We also were happy with the temperature of our food on the Alaska cruise, by chance did you have second seating APPTAPT?

Yes, this was our rotation! We had early seating though.

Before we did the Wonder with our friends (who have also been on the Magic), we had been on two 7-day cruises on the Magic. We all agreed that the food and atmosphere was better on the Magic. I can't explain why other then they get to know you better on a 7 day....We go on the Fantasy in October, so I'll let you know then!

Our cruse was a 7-day, and I have a hard time imagining cruising on a 3 or 4. It still felt too short, and I loved getting to know our awesome cruise staff and fellow cruisers. Looking forward to hearing how your Fantasy trip goes!

Me and my dh can be foodies at times but we also enjoy reg places(chili.Houston. macaroni grill and have been to Vic & Albert) We've also found mom & pop shops that we've love. I have done 7 disney(including Dream) Golden Princess.American haiwii(baaaad on all accounts went to safeway to get food for the room)2 Royal carribean(best food and a sugar free cream puff that you couldn't tell was)Holland America(also very good). Now with this said there is no one line to say yes to as each ship has different people. This does not stop me from sailing with DCL and i have 2 in the line as of now. I come from TX and we know our beef and i know cuts DCL has some of the stranges looking cuts and they don't know how to season a steak. I've found i do better with what they recomend. Get a steak at Palo. I have even had an off time there to(brunch on Dream). This is the drawback i accept to cruise Disney you can still always find something and won't go hungry. Not true with the safeway shopping trip cruise our whole table could not eat the recomended teriyaki steak/jerky and no room service or pool food to fall back on sol until breakfast. Good news this cruiseline doesn't exist any more and is the reason my dh doesn't get to pick our ships anymore. He claims he wasn't pulling a Raymond as the $$$ was to much to be doing that.They claimed he was an award winning chef in there booklet. This is how my dh got me to trade in my ship choice:sad1: One last word chicken soup & a sandwich from the pool side bar at the hotel after you've left the ship should not be the best thing you've eaten all week

This is how my dh got me to trade in my ship choice:sad1: One last word chicken soup & a sandwich from the pool side bar at the hotel after you've left the ship should not be the best thing you've eaten all week

BWAHAHAHAHA!:cheer2:

You made both me and hubby chuckle tonight! Thanks for the story! *still chuckling*

espeially love the salads, fruits, nuts, sundaes, vegies, chicken, shrimp, appetizers, even steak.

Just got off the magic yesterday it was my 12th on dcl. The food was the worst i had on dcl. But i dont cruise for the food. I will still be coming back to dcl again and again.

After 17 cruises all on DCL I can say I never really had food I disliked. Not the best food a ever tasted, but I could eat it. I'm not really a picky eater so I can eat almost anything only thing I've found myself not liking is anything is mushrooms(yuck, I hate hate hate mushrooms). So as long as meal as no muchrooms or mushrooms chopped up so I don't know it's in I can eat it. I also don't cruise for the food, and after cruising so much I know the food won't be the best I've ever had. For me though it hasn't been that bad yet

Just got off the magic yesterday it was my 12th on dcl. The food was the worst i had on dcl. But i dont cruise for the food. I will still be coming back to dcl again and again.

interesting. how would you rate the food on your previous 11 dcl cruises? was this cruise an anomaly?

RB

Some of the dishes were GREAT and others were OK.

In Lumiere's DH and I both LOVED our dinners. I had the French Onion Soup and Crispy Duck entree. The duck was cooked amazingly well and was so tastey. I don't get the chance to eat duck often, so it was quite the treat.

In AP, I ordered the chicken, I think, and it was just ok. I asked them to bring DD one of the black bean cakes (she loves black beans) from the veg menu and it was AMAZING! I will be ordering those for myself next time. They warned me they would be spicy and they actually were! This shocked me because the next night when I ordered the so-called jerk pork chop, there was hardly any spice (or flavor for that matter) at all.

The salads I had every night were fine, but I felt they were lacking the complexity that I was expecting. Sometimes it was like it was just lettuce and dressing.

This was our first DCL cruise, and knowing that the menus are similar if not identical from cruise to cruise, we know now what we liked and we have many more dishes to try to find out if we like those more! It's all trial and error, and I assume the different chefs, sous chefs, etc, will change the meal quality as well. Reminds me of Hells Kitchen! Some nights it seems like no one is checking the food at the pass!

RRB said:
interesting. how would you rate the food on your previous 11 dcl cruises? was this cruise an anomaly?

RB

You can usually count on the fast food as being good.plutos,goofys,pinochio but not on this cruise. The cheeseburger was not good i ate it but it was cold and a little undercook.at goofys i had a roast beef sandwich very little roast beef on it. For pizza the selections were poor and a lot of thin crust.went to the steakhouse buffet the steaks were not even worth getting. The dinners were about the same. I love dcl and i dont cruise for the food i will still be back over and over but it will be nice to get some good food.

dclpluto said:
You can usually count on the fast food as being good.plutos,goofys,pinochio but not on this cruise. The cheeseburger was not good i ate it but it was cold and a little undercook.at goofys i had a roast beef sandwich very little roast beef on it. For pizza the selections were poor and a lot of thin crust.went to the steakhouse buffet the steaks were not even worth getting. The dinners were about the same. I love dcl and i dont cruise for the food i will still be back over and over but it will be nice to get some good food.

So Cal AAA Westways magazine printed a review of the Fantasy and they agreed with you! :) They listed the pizza and burgers as what they didn't like: "watched them being made fresh, they still tasted blah, like they'd been frozen." No other mention of the food but they did like the safety drill and entertainment!!

We found on the Dream last month, that the food quality has indeed declined in the last couple of years. Still love Palo tho, and the service was great everywhere.

I have only sailed twice on the magic and found the food to be good.
My only moans would be the room service, cold and bland both trips. Also found the pizza on the first cruise, 11 night med to be dreadful, however the second, 7 night med it was pretty good.
I cant re-call any bad dishes in the MDR's, apart from just disliking a dish which was promptly changed for another.

October will be our 13th cruise. I haven't been on DCL in a while so i don't remember too many details of the food quality. I remember the MD areas ranging from OK to surprisingly good and Palo being really good. We are on the Fream next month and I'm hoping for good food

Same cruise and our 10th cruise. I absolutely agree with you.

I was on that cruise and we liked the food very much. Palo was excellent, dinners in the MDRs were very good and the buffets and fast food venues were fine for a quick bite. We also ordered from room service and were satisfied with our cheese plate, BLT and Mickey Bars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts