Food Dehydrator

2goofycampers

Sounds like something a camping trip could cure!
I just ordered a dehydrator. What kinds of foods do you campers dehydrate? Also, anyone have some good recipes for jerky

Of course I have done Jerky (Venison). I also found myself with an excess of Jalapeno Peppers (from store in a gallon Jar). So what to do with it? Dehydrate it, then ground it to a powder to use in recipes. Just a warning, don't enter the room where they are dehydrating without a mask.

Also have done similar with Oranges and Lemons. Typically if they are on the verge of being over ripe and not going to get used, I dehydrate them and grind to a powder. The lemon powder works great on Fish (Haddock, cod, etc..) especially if there are no fresh lemons around. Also Orange (or lemon or lime) works well in other recipes where it might call for a "Zest".

I have only done very basic stuff with mine. I haven't made "Fruit Leather" yet but one of these days, I will try. Might also try to do things like Beans or such.

I just ordered a dehydrator. What kinds of foods do you campers dehydrate? Also, anyone have some good recipes for jerky
Just about anything you can imagine! From carrots and corn, to tomatoes and marshmallows. Homemade chili, canned chicken noodle soup, spaghetti and sauce, broccoli, and made candy from chocolate pudding.
Mary Bell dehydrator book is great to start. Got mine from Kindle.
Which dehydrator did you get?

Nesco 500 watt, a good starter to see how it goes. Wow, I didn't know you could do all those things. We could make our own rations. Thanks for the book info.

About 8 years ago we visited Cumberland Island, GA. You have to pack everything and take a ferry to the island. Once you're on the island it's tent camping and you need to bring every thing you need. Only way to get food, etc was to take a ferry back off the island. So, we carried on a week's worth of meals dehydrated. I was preparing for it for a month or more in advance. When I'd make a dinner I would make enough to dehydrate a meal.

I just checked and I still have the spreadsheet where I kept it all organized! Here is what we ate for a week! (It loses its formatting but the way it pasts here the top line is breakfasts and then lunch, snacks, dinners & desserts!

Grits / Egg stratta w/salsa (tortilla shells?) / blueberry pancakes / sausage & grits / eggs w/sausage / muffin pancakes / Zucchini hashbrowns
Sloppy Joe (bread) / Hummus (? for dipping)/ Couscous (what added-raisins or dried cranberries, maybe pecans or something) / Spicy Sausage Alfredo / black beans / corn / tomatoes + tortillas / Chicken/Broc Alfredo / vegetable fried rice
Granola, bars, veg/fruit?, nuts? Granola, bars, veg/fruit?, nuts? Granola, bars, veg/fruit?, nuts? Granola, bars, veg/fruit?, nuts? Granola, bars, veg/fruit?, nuts? Granola, bars, veg/fruit?, nuts? Granola, bars, veg/fruit?, nuts? Granola/Protein Bars
Chicken Fried Rice / Chili Tortelini / refried black beans/spanish rice / chicken fried rice / sante fe chipotle polenta + tom sauce
apples & cranberries apples & cranberries apples & cranberries apples & cranberries apples & cranberries apples & cranberries!

This is the one I have. It has 4 trays but you can buy more trays if you want.

The key to remember is that you really should "Rotate" your trays periodically during dehydrating. (Take top tray and move to the bottom or vice versa) That way you get a more even drying.

BTW, I was just thinking...we purchased our food dehydrator for the trip mentioned above. I don't use it often, but probably once a year or so. Just recently we went to our local berry farm and picked 12lbs of blackberries and blueberries. I dehydrated a couple trays of each and I will use them in pancakes, muffins and especially my copycat BoBerry biscuits!

There is so much to do beyond jerky! How do you rehydrate flour products?

On my list I think the 'blueberry pancakes' we're one of those single meal pouches you buy at the grocery store, not something I precooked.

I definitely precooked our pasta and then dehydrated which made it cook faster and also able to put everything into food saver bags.

Also just saw on my spreadsheet the extra things I dehydrated. 2lbs broccoli, carrots. 2 lbs berries, 3 lbs sliced sausage. We used those things to add to the foods or just smack on!

What type of "Flour" products?

Things like breads and muffins don't really dehydrate well (nor do they "Re-hydrate" well either). I think for things like pancakes, you would not make them and then dehydrate them, rather you would just bring the dry ingredients and then add the water when you are ready to prepare them. IF however you were intent on dehydrating these items, I think this would be better done through freeze drying.

The re-hydrating process is just a matter of adding water back in and allowing the product to absorb it. Since it is difficult to know how much water, often to extra water is added. This means that you could end up with "Soupy" re-hydrated product. For things like fruits, it is not a big deal, but breads, muffins, etc... would end up being very soggy and not really useful (like trying to make a sandwich)

What type of "Flour" products?

Things like breads and muffins don't really dehydrate well (nor do they "Re-hydrate" well either). I think for things like pancakes, you would not make them and then dehydrate them, rather you would just bring the dry ingredients and then add the water when you are ready to prepare them. IF however you were intent on dehydrating these items, I think this would be better done through freeze drying.

The re-hydrating process is just a matter of adding water back in and allowing the product to absorb it. Since it is difficult to know how much water, often to extra water is added. This means that you could end up with "Soupy" re-hydrated product. For things like fruits, it is not a big deal, but breads, muffins, etc... would end up being very soggy and not really useful (like trying to make a sandwich)
I thought maybe she had a secret process. ;)

For me dehydrating serves really only 2 purposes. Preserving food and/or saving weight. Since water fosters the growth of bacteria, it's a great way to preserve foods such as jerky or fruits/vegetables. The other side is for those that must carry the food the water is a lot of extra weight, although you would want to have an adequate water supply at your destination. Not only to re-hydrate the food, but re-hydrate your body (you get a surprising amount of fluid in your foods. If you eat them without re-hydrating them, your body will still need the fluid).

As you mentioned the "Secret Process" I couldn't help to think about some of the "Longer Shelf Life" foods I have had in the past. Mostly through the Military in the form of MRE's (Officially Meals Ready to Eat, however to those of us who have had to eat them for extended periods we affectionately referred to them as "Meals REJECTED by Ethiopians") as well as C-Rations.

C-Rations were loaded with preservatives and had a totally different quality then MRE's. MRE's had many "Dehydrated" foods (Pork, Beef, fruits, etc..) but the best foods was usually the deserts in the form of very dense cakes or cookies. (usually with fruits, nuts or chocolate chips), but they weren't dehydrated, although as dense as they were you would still need to drink a quart of water afterwards, otherwise other bodily systems will have issues.

This is the one I have. It has 4 trays but you can buy more trays if you want.

The key to remember is that you really should "Rotate" your trays periodically during dehydrating. (Take top tray and move to the bottom or vice versa) That way you get a more even drying.
The key part that helps a lot is the variable heat settings on this one. Different foods dry better at certain temperature ranges. Your Jerky will be safer made in one that heats to a higher actual
temperature that is consistent. A friend of mine removes his jerky from his dehydrator when it is finished, puts it on racks on baking sheets and bakes it in the oven at a bit higher temperature for about half an hour. Then he says it's finished. Not for sure if this is any safer but, in almost 30 years he hasn't made me ill yet.

The key part that helps a lot is the variable heat settings on this one. Different foods dry better at certain temperature ranges. Your Jerky will be safer made in one that heats to a higher actual
temperature that is consistent. A friend of mine removes his jerky from his dehydrator when it is finished, puts it on racks on baking sheets and bakes it in the oven at a bit higher temperature for about half an hour. Then he says it's finished. Not for sure if this is any safer but, in almost 30 years he hasn't made me ill yet.
Most store bought Jerky mixes have preservatives (nitrites) and even many home recipes will call for a curing salt such as Mortons tender quick. The preserving through dehydrating is to pull the moisture out. Moisture is what helps the bacteria grow. Salt (curing or otherwise) is also a desiccant which also draws out moisture to help preserve.

I think the "Oven" step may be over kill depending on how much your friend makes. In my house, a batch of jerky rarely lasts long enough for the moisture to allow the bacteria to grow. :)

It arrived! We want to make some chicken jerky for the dog and DH wants some bananas. Can I do them together without tainting each others flavor? I'd rather not use salt or spices for the chicken. Will it be ok?

It arrived! We want to make some chicken jerky for the dog and DH wants some bananas. Can I do them together without tainting each others flavor? I'd rather not use salt or spices for the chicken. Will it be ok?
The aromas will cross, so if one is particularly strong, it is very likely that you will get some "Tainting" of flavor. Won't hurt it but just taste different.

Dehydrating is a preserving process, so the chicken will be okay, but the problem is, is that you will NOT get all the moisture out (and it would taste like crap anyway) and as such you are subject to spoilage. What I would suggest is that you dehydrate it to an appropriate level, then store it in a container in the fridge. There is mixed concerns about using "Air Tight" particularly in the fridge as water will come out as well in the fridge (condensation) and could cause issues. Keep in mind though, that if you dehydrate it and put it in the fridge, you are extending it's (useful) life even longer. So unless you are going to make batches and keep them around for months, you will probably be okay with out the salt. Plain dehydrated chicken (jerky) though doesn't sound to tasty though, even for a pet. I would think you'd want some seasons. Just my opinion though.

Most store bought Jerky mixes have preservatives (nitrites) and even many home recipes will call for a curing salt such as Mortons tender quick. The preserving through dehydrating is to pull the moisture out. Moisture is what helps the bacteria grow. Salt (curing or otherwise) is also a desiccant which also draws out moisture to help preserve.

I think the "Oven" step may be over kill depending on how much your friend makes. In my house, a batch of jerky rarely lasts long enough for the moisture to allow the bacteria to grow. :)
He makes about 6 months worth at a time for about 10 people. he makes his own marinade from one his dad used to make. As few additives as possible.

He makes about 6 months worth at a time for about 10 people. he makes his own marinade from one his dad used to make. As few additives as possible.
Wow.... Must have a huge commercial dehydrator (or he is running the smaller one non-stop for days!). 6 months worth for 10 people is also equal to 5 years worth for 1 person!

If I were to make that much at one time (or even a fraction of it), I might consider the "Oven" step, but I would surely vacuum pack the rest that isn't going to get consumed in the first week or so. I might even "Freeze" the vacuum packs for an extra measure.

Wow.... Must have a huge commercial dehydrator (or he is running the smaller one non-stop for days!). 6 months worth for 10 people is also equal to 5 years worth for 1 person!

If I were to make that much at one time (or even a fraction of it), I might consider the "Oven" step, but I would surely vacuum pack the rest that isn't going to get consumed in the first week or so. I might even "Freeze" the vacuum packs for an extra measure.
David is a member of the LDS and has a small farm that he and his wife and four kids live on. They turn out not only jerky and other dried foods but, also many cans of produce and some real scrumptious fruits and pie fillings. He also has a smokehouse where he smokes not only his own meat, but some for his church. The group has recently splurged (as he calls it) on a freeze dryer and commercial vacuum sealing system. I am so glad he a very good and dear friend, and I'm not reluctant to tell everyone I meet that he is the one person on earth that fulfills every promise he makes, and he has restored my faith in humanity!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter