Food at Universal

Miffy2003

<font color=orange>I've got Saratoga Springs - mak
What are your favourite eating places at the Universal parks and resorts?

I am determined to eat at Tchoup Tchop (??) and DH is determined to eat at Green Eggs & Ham in IOA. You can see we have different culinary standards!!

Where do you enjoy - either counter service or sit down restaurant, and why?

Good question! Emeril's Tchoup Chop is definitely one of the restaurants we rate highest in Orlando and is well worth trying, even if you can only get in for lunch rather than dinner (the more romantic option). We also thoroughly enjoy Mythos at IoA, which lives up to its reputation as one of the best theme park restaurants (not so sure if it is THE best, though). If you can't get into Mythos for a proper sit-down meal, Confisco Grille is a good second-best. For counter service, the Enchanted Oak Tavern is probably the best bet (and, if you go out the back, you can enjoy a wonderfully quiet view over the Lagoon, and check out the huge schools of fish which lurk below the balcony!). At USF, the Monsters Cafe is great fun while Lombard's Seafood grill is probably the best full-service restaurant (Finnegan's is OK, but a touch over-priced for the fairly routine fare on offer). In CityWalk, Latin Quarter is one of our favourites while Pastamore is also pretty good. Then we enjoy The Kitchen and The Palm at HRH and Mama Della's at PBH (have yet to try the new Bice, though). The bottom line is there is so much choice once again, you need to get out and try as much as possible :teeth:

We have only ate at The Encharted Oak, Food was very nice, and the kids loved it :)

we ate offsite since it's so close to sweet tomatoes....(we only stayed at universal for 2 days - to get FOTL).....

ITA with the recommendation for Mythos. We have had some lovely meals there.

Green Eggs and Ham Cafe has never been open when we've been to I of A, which is a shame cos I always fancied eating there.

In my opinion, Universal Studios has not got a very good selection of places to eat but I have heard that the Irish bar (can't remember the name off the top of my head) is nice. Mel's Diner was undergoing refurbishment when we went in September - it certainly was pretty nasty before but not sure what it's like now.

Emeril's is our favourite restaurant outside of WDW. The food is delicious and beautifully prepared - there is lots of choice too. I love the simple decor and the service is exceptional. If you stay onsite, your FOTL pass works here too! Don't miss the chocolate peanut butter cake desert :teeth:

Inside IoA is Mythos - a true haven of tranquility in the park. Delicious pizza (love the risotto & salad as well) and a really neat atmosphere - beautiful view of the lagoon and waterfalls.

If you venture over to Portofino Bay, then Trattorio del Porto is nice. There is BICE as well (heard lots of good reviews), but we haven't had a chance to try it yet.

:wizard:

SimonV said:
Good question! Emeril's Tchoup Chop is definitely one of the restaurants we rate highest in Orlando and is well worth trying, even if you can only get in for lunch rather than dinner (the more romantic option). We also thoroughly enjoy Mythos at IoA, which lives up to its reputation as one of the best theme park restaurants (not so sure if it is THE best, though). If you can't get into Mythos for a proper sit-down meal, Confisco Grille is a good second-best. For counter service, the Enchanted Oak Tavern is probably the best bet (and, if you go out the back, you can enjoy a wonderfully quiet view over the Lagoon, and check out the huge schools of fish which lurk below the balcony!). At USF, the Monsters Cafe is great fun while Lombard's Seafood grill is probably the best full-service restaurant (Finnegan's is OK, but a touch over-priced for the fairly routine fare on offer). In CityWalk, Latin Quarter is one of our favourites while Pastamore is also pretty good. Then we enjoy The Kitchen and The Palm at HRH and Mama Della's at PBH (have yet to try the new Bice, though). The bottom line is there is so much choice once again, you need to get out and try as much as possible :teeth:

Blimey Simon, you are lucky...with our little boy in tow he just wants to get on Woody Woodpecker and all his other favourite rides, I am grateful if I get a Turkey leg or a Hot Dog!!

I enjoyed a lovely chicken salad in Thunder Falls restaurant just near the River Adventure in Islands. I want to try Sweet Tomatoes next time.

Our two favourites are Mythos and Lombards Landing. The food was excellent in both and we will be going back again next year. Green Eggs and Ham? - well our experience eating there was pretty awful. The eggs really were green and the sandwich/burger was soggy and tasteless. Needless to say I wont be returning. :)

Maggs

Tchoup Tchoup was very nice, there is a place that does great shakes opposite Terminator entrace.

That would be Schwab's Pharmacy, a 1950s soda shop recreation that serves ice cream as well as those great milkshakes. It is often overlooked by the hordes and can be a handy place for a drink and a sit-down when it's hot.

PS: LOL, Johnny. Been there and done that; kids a bit older now, so they don't get to dictate what we do quite so much.

SimonV said:
That would be Schwab's Pharmacy, a 1950s soda shop recreation that serves ice cream as well as those great milkshakes. It is often overlooked by the hordes and can be a handy place for a drink and a sit-down when it's hot.

PS: LOL, Johnny. Been there and done that; kids a bit older now, so they don't get to dictate what we do quite so much.

Yes Simon :)

Actually, I always video any holiday programmes that feature Florida and have one extract from the BBC that features you talking to Carol Smillie and passing on advice (drink plenty/wear comfortable shoes etc) - and then you are tucking into a turkey leg...great stuff!! :)

Ah, the lovely Carol Smillie :upsidedow The best part of that was having to be shoe-horned into the Astro Orbiter with her for part of the shoot. The turkey leg was an after-thought by the producer, and I think it got eaten by the sound-man in the end!! :teeth:

SimonV said:
Ah, the lovely Carol Smillie :upsidedow The best part of that was having to be shoe-horned into the Astro Orbiter with her for part of the shoot. The turkey leg was an after-thought by the producer, and I think it got eaten by the sound-man in the end!! :teeth:

Ha Ha Ha - I have never eaten a full one yet :)

What is it about men and Carol Smillie? DH was so chuffed when she sat near him at the U2 concert at Hamden.
Anyway I digress, another vote for Mythos, and you can get good sandwiches in US at the place on the corner on the right as you turn along towards terminator.
We enjoyed the chinese place in the Royal Pacific - is it Islands dining room? Shaggy and Scooby appeared too!

At Universal Studios we have generally ate at Richters Burger Bar next to Earthquake and also another place that i can't remember the name of sort of inbetween ET and Terminator.

At IOA we like the food court type place in between Super Hero island and Dudley Do Right Falls. It means there is a bigger choice of things to eat such as Wraps/Tacos and Chinese Food rather than the normal fast food of Burgers and pizzas.
Jurassic park Buger place is okay as well.

...I can't believe that no-one has mentioned Margaritaville and Hard Rock.

Always think that Hard Rock is the best of its kind around and good if you like loud music (they also do a mean Hurricane); and what can you say about Margaritaville - nice food, and great Margaritas :cool1: :cool1:

Boss Hogg said:
what can you say about Margaritaville
Fins to the left, fins to the right?

It's five o'clock somewhere?

Why don't we get drunk and...?

I don't know where I'm a gonna go when the volcano blow?

Cheeseburger in paradise?

:rotfl2:

SimonV said:
Ah, the lovely Carol Smillie :upsidedow The best part of that was having to be shoe-horned into the Astro Orbiter with her for part of the shoot.
I'm shocked! :earseek: And it takes a lot! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter