Food Allergies in Concierge Level (specifically AKL)

andied

Earning My Ears
Hi. Wondering if anyone had any advice for how best to deal with the concierge level regarding food allergies.

We're staying at AKL in August on the Concierge Level through DVC. My son is 6 and is allergic to dairy, eggs, wheat, poultry, peanut, treenut, barley, rye and chocolate. We're not looking for crazy accomodations for him, but would like to have some soy milk available and some things available (based on what I've seen, it doesn't look like there's a lot for him to eat).

I'd love any advice on staying concierge and what they've been able to do for you!

Thanks!

We stayed at club level last fall with a son that can't have gluten or dairy. We contacted them ahead of time by phone and follow up emails and also reminded them at check in. They sent a runner to Whole Foods to get us a Rice Milk, which was very nice. They had boxes of Enjoy Life cookies available by request and provided safe donuts and or muffins each morning. Evening was a little more difficult. They had the chef at Boma create a platter and send it up, which was very nice but the foods were often too exotic for my very picky then 3 year old. There were always apple slices and carrots out each night at the kids table he could have but most other offerings were off-limits to him. We did bring several snacks with us from home and were glad we did. Still a great experience. They will accommodate you the best they can.

I haven't stayed club level at AKL but from what I understand there are a few basic things that all CL will do for allergies and this includes having soy milk available (WDW is back to using Silk) though you do have to ask a CM each time you want it as they don't put it out. I believe that most CL will have or at least get in some of the basic allergy foods that are available at that resort. I know that AKL has the Babycakes cupcakes as well as both soft and crunchy Enjoy Life cookies on hand so I would think they would at a minimum send a runner downstairs to get some if they don't have any up in the lounge though again, you'll have to ask for the items as they won't be sitting out for everybody. You really need to have Special Diets get somebody to contact you from the AKL club lounge to find out what they'll do as far as breakfast, snacks, and evening hot foods. Each resort's CL does things their own way. If my experience at Poly is any indication, you're MUCH better off asking Special Diets than IPO. IPO told me to order my own groceries because they had NOTHING for me or my kids. In reality, the chefs took AMAZING care of us. Go through Special Diets and ask them to have a chef contact you so you can know what to expect.

Make sure you look up the Babycakes allergy statement to decide how comfortable you are with your son having them. They only have a warning for almonds and hazelnuts and they explain their cross contamination practice on their site (if you're ok with Bob's Red Mill then you're ok with this since that's what they use for their flour) but if the tree nut concern doesn't include these two nuts then you don't even need to worry at all.

Just an FYI....I just received an email from special diets telling me to contact the IPO, which I have already done. I was kinda hoping they would at least be able to provide me with some options for my son. We are also staying at AKL, our first time staying CL since my son's food allergies were diagnosed. I'm hoping it's still worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Have you contacted special diets for the lists of "allergy friendly" brands/food they have at the resorts? There is at least one that has peanut, tree nut, dairy and egg and then a second one for gluten (which would be your wheat, rye and barley). It may give you a good idea of what they have and if they are brands you are comfortable with.

We stayed Club Level at AKL this October and had a hard time with this. I contacted both IPO concierge and special diets twice before we came. Once to tell them about my daughter's allergy and then once to remind them before we arrived. My daughter has a peanut / tree nut and sesame allergy.

There was really not anything for her the day we arrived and the day after. I understood arrival day and reminded them about her, but the next morning there was nothing. I asked them again and checked that night - nothing. The next morning (day 3), there was nothing she could have for breakfast in the club lounge. I expressed my frustration, as we were using the lounge a lot. That afternoon, again, she could not have anything when we stopped by to pick up snacks.

By that evening (day 3) they did have some things set aside for her. It appeared to be individually prepared and wrapped. Snacks were cookies, I can't remember what she got for breakfast. By then, she had food set aside for her each day at breakfast and at lunch, and that was individually prepared for her. We just had to go and ask for it after that. She told them what she liked and they got it. She isn't picky so she basically had the same breakfast and snacks every day. As long as it was safe, she didn't really care. We were happy with that.

AKL looks to have one of the "nut" heaviest club level lounges - I came back and looked at a lot of the CL pictures. We are staying CL at Boardwalk this fall and hopefully there will be fewer nuts (even though I did see some on the Boardwalk, Beach Club, and YC lounge pictures).

We stayed club level at the Grand Floridian in November. I had emailed before our trip and was assured they would have some type of milk alternative available for my dairy-allergic son, but when we got there, the lady working in the lounge said they didn't have any and couldn't get any. I was bummed.

The only thing they had for him was fruit.

When you check in make sure you check in at the CL desk. We stayed CL at the YC and most of our problems were caused by checking in downstairs because they were busy upstairs when we arrived. When you check in, remind them and ask if you can speak to a chef to be sure everything will be handled correctly if they do not volunteer this. Something big I learned is they will set aside special items but you have to be on the list to get them or you get the "back up" special items, which will likely not fit your allergy set.
It took nearly a week for it to happen, but once we spoke to the chef DS had babycakes items being held for him. For snacks he had nothing special because the chips and sweedish fish were ok for him. Then at appetizer time we had to call and speak to the chef. It was about a 20 minute process, but they would bring him a plate of some chicken and plain rice.

Here at AKL CL this weekend, private dining has been AMAZING! Chef Jenn called me directly to discuss options. She had safe cookies and chips for my son in the afternoon (she asked me what time I wanted them there) and then this morning I called private dining and told then what time we would be in the CL and what the chef and I spoke about. Not only did Chef Jenn bring him gluten and but free waffles, but also a donut and muffin. She personally delivered them right when we requested. I am THRILLED so far!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

It's nice to hear positive stories but unless you get a specific Chef who takes interest and/or you are very pushy we've had very little luck with allergy safe food at CL. I have had trouble even getting ingredient info for things like the chips, cereals, and swedish fish at BC, AKL, and WL. I typically have to ask multiple times to get safe prepackaged cookies that they really should keep somewhere close by. I have always checked in on the CL too. Another thought when traveling with a little one with allergies is that we frequently get a "sweet" gift left in our room that is very attractive but not safe. I'm an adult so I can handle the disappointment but a child might be really sad seeing it. I usually can find a little something for breakfast like oatmeal or a hard boiled egg but haven't had any of the other snack/apps/ desserts unless I beg for something pre=packaged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter