Food allergies at Disneyland

I've heard some reports that they no longer have the allergy binders saying it was too hard to keep them updated and they might be in accurate. I can't confirm this myself since I haven't gone yet. I hope more and more places offer the allergy menus!

I had great success with my gluten allergy at DLR in 2013. I worked with the chef each time and they worked with me to determine what I could eat. River Belle was one place I remember being good and I had breakfast at the character buffet at DLH and the chef made me fresh eggs and GF waffle/pancake. I did go to Bengal grill and they manager suggested I not eat there as almost everything has soy sauce (made with wheat, not soy). Too bad... great looking protiens.

We learned to do the GF order first, and then the nonGF orders after. This way if you had an issue and had to leave, it was quick. I am very sensitive to cross contamination.

we just got back from 3 days 2 weeks ago. Our (DH and I) only allergen is gluten but just one crumb still makes me very ill so I need to make sure I'm eating completely safe food. At Storytellers and Jolly Holiday Bakery the chef came over to take my order, check to make sure everything I ordered was safe, and make my meal. At Carthay Circle, our server was very knowledgeable about everything I could eat but I"m assuming if I had multiple allergens she would have brought the chef over. We've been to DL 6 times in the past 3 years and each time I've felt very secure knowing I'm eating safely and never had a reaction. I've also been in line with a severe peanut allergy family at Rancho Zacalo (sp. - Mexican place next to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad) when the chef came out and she was very aware of every ingredient and knew exactly what to offer the family, then went to the back and made their safe meal.

We also did WDW once and I found it similar -I really did not see either resort being better than the other.

Have a great trip!

Thanks. We had follow up blood work with our 18 month old, and his allergies increased. :( I'm really nervous. It's helpful to know that people have had success. He's allergic to Peanuts, Eggs, Dairy, Tree Nuts, Sesame Seeds and Dairy. All level 3. (so relatively mild) but levels increased over the last 6 months. (some he was borderline before) I'm going to email special diets and see.

I tried to sign up for that Disney Chefs thing on Facebook but have yet to be approved.

I'm sad that information is lacking for DL. The blogs I have found were all geared towards DW. And sounds like they are great. Recently the official Disney parks blogs made a statement stating that they are making more of an effort in the coming months. But they still seem focused on the main ones. One of blogs says that DL us really good about gluten free but a hit and miss on others.

DD has a sesame seed and tree nut allergy. But we generally avoid all nuts. They all seem concern for nuts but sesame not as much. We've noted an allergy on our Ariels Grotto reservation. Come dessert time, DD got sorbet. Since dessert is made offsite, they couldn't say. I wish they had a concrete answer. This is a newly discovered allergy and she's had desserts there before without a problem. So DD was a little sad he didn't get a birthday cupcake.

For CS, we tried asking at Lucky Fortune sesame oil / seeds were used. Again no guarantee. So we skipped it. Wasn't aware that they used to have binders.

OP: sorry to hear about your ER ordeal. We were in the ER a few days ago as well. Something as simple as cross contamination. I think the serving utensils touched a dessert with nuts. Good luck with your appointment

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

Hi guys! So, we're just finishing up our second trip since we figured out her egg allergy, and our first trip since we had her tested. It turns out that soy is not one of her allergens. She's allergic to milk, egg, and peanut. She's 13 months old now, still nursing, but also eating solids (both table foods and jarred baby food). Our experience this trip was very good.

Since she's not allergic to tree nuts, we did various tree nut butter sandwiches for me as our take-along food. We did jars of step 2 or 3 baby food for her. I had a dole whip while she was napping (pineapple gives her diaper rash). I had one of my sandwiches each time they ate at Flo's, so I can't comment on how well they handle allergies. I ate at Cocina Cucamunga twice and had excellent experiences. They had a chef come out. We discussed the allergens and she prepared a slightly modified meal for me. I felt so comfortable with the safety of the meal that the baby was allowed to have the rice and beans (beans are one of her favorite foods). I also ate at Tomorrowland Terrace (same procedure) and was comfortable enough to let the baby have a few French fries and a bit of my burger from there as well. Disneyland dining was fantastic.

We also ate offsite at Tony Roma's (had dinner with friends who didn't join us in the park). My experience there was less than stellar. They have a really nice allergen menu online. So, I had looked it over and knew there were a few things I could have before we went. When I asked the waitress for an allergen menu, she said there wasn't one, but gave me very vague guidelines instead (anything from the grill is fine (even though online it says they use butter on their steaks), and that the fryer was off limits because of the mozzarella sticks and cross contamination). So, I would up ordering a main dish I remembered was safe (BBQ chicken), rice (which I also remembered was safe) and the fresh vegetable of the day (broccoli, which the waitress said was safe, but when I checked online later, I found it may have contained dairy. I didn't let the baby eat it, and if it did contain butter, it was such a small amount that she didn't get it vicariously through me). Because of the waitress's flippant attitude, I was only comfortable sharing the chicken with the baby; I wasn't comfortable sharing the sides with her. She did fine with the chicken. I won't feel comfortable feeding her there when she is older. I don't think we will return.

Disneyland was great at handling allergies, even at a quick service place. I was very impressed.

Reactions: cgh
I've been to DLR many many times but right after my last visit in July 2013 I suddenly developed a fish/shellfish allergy. Since we went to WDW for summer 2014, we let our APs lapse and now I will be going back to DLR with food allergies for the first time. At this point I know more about food allergies at WDW than DLR, which seems strange to me. I now have to find out if I can eat any of old favorites at all! Anyway, just following this thread with interest to see what I can expect. TS at WDW was great, but at quick service I often found myself eating the same old thin, blah theme park hamburger that DLR did away with years ago. Since DLR's CS blows away WDW's I'm hoping I can find some better options. I think we will also do more TS this trip than usual.
Thinking of BB or Riverbelle for F! meal, a lunch at Storytellers instead of Cafe Orleans :( , and Carthay Circle for WOC. But we will be there a week so I have to come up with ideas.
I have a severe shellfish allergy. BB has always been great. The chef came out and assured me that my food will not be compromised. I even had the gumbo last time. I was worried, because I was sure there would be some fish stock or something in it. But it was safe. Carthay was also great with my shellfish allergy.

I have a severe shellfish allergy. BB has always been great. The chef came out and assured me that my food will not be compromised. I even had the gumbo last time. I was worried, because I was sure there would be some fish stock or something in it. But it was safe. Carthay was also great with my shellfish allergy.
Thank you! That is so good to hear! I just booked Carthay Circle and BB. Do you avoid fish to avoid cross contact issues? I am definitely allergic to fish but add shellfish to my allergy list to avoid possible cross contact with fish and because at this point I don't know and I'm afraid to try.

Had a good experience at BB during the 24 hour party. Even with all the chaos of the party and a fire at BB earlier in the day, all my allergy concerns were noted by the hostess and our server. The server was knowledgeable about the menu and went back to the kitchen to check on my dessert choice. She said the cake was made in the central bakery, not at BB, but she would have the chef check to make sure about my allergy. Everything worked out really well.

Thank you! That is so good to hear! I just booked Carthay Circle and BB. Do you avoid fish to avoid cross contact issues? I am definitely allergic to fish but add shellfish to my allergy list to avoid possible cross contact with fish and because at this point I don't know and I'm afraid to try.
I do avoid all fish now. I'm allergic to all shellfish, but not fish. The doctor really drilled it into my head to not chance it with cross-contamination by ordering fish or even buying fish at a supermarket. My shellfish allergy is very severe. So, since my shellfish allergy came on 5 years ago, I haven't had a bite of fish either. Before all this I was a seafood lover! I miss it.

Forgot to mention that the Rainforest Cafe was very good about my allergy as well. The chef came out and spoke to me. I wanted french fries, but saw that fried shrimp was on the menu. He assured me that they had a separate fryer and all was well. This was a few years ago.

I do avoid all fish now. I'm allergic to all shellfish, but not fish. The doctor really drilled it into my head to not chance it with cross-contamination by ordering fish or even buying fish at a supermarket. My shellfish allergy is very severe. So, since my shellfish allergy came on 5 years ago, I haven't had a bite of fish either. Before all this I was a seafood lover! I miss it.

Forgot to mention that the Rainforest Cafe was very good about my allergy as well. The chef came out and spoke to me. I wanted french fries, but saw that fried shrimp was on the menu. He assured me that they had a separate fryer and all was well. This was a few years ago.
Wow, that's like the same as me, but with shellfish. That's what my doctor said too. I often can't have fries because they are fried with fish or shrimp. I guess I'm probably healthier picking other options anyway! :) At home I'll go to Five Guys sometimes because there is no seafood there at all.
Do you eat BBQ sauce? Sometimes that has anchovies. I have been wondering if the BBQ place in DL was safe. I will probably try contacting special diets if I can't find out.

Hi guys! So, we're just finishing up our second trip since we figured out her egg allergy, and our first trip since we had her tested. It turns out that soy is not one of her allergens. She's allergic to milk, egg, and peanut. She's 13 months old now, still nursing, but also eating solids (both table foods and jarred baby food). Our experience this trip was very good.

Since she's not allergic to tree nuts, we did various tree nut butter sandwiches for me as our take-along food. We did jars of step 2 or 3 baby food for her. I had a dole whip while she was napping (pineapple gives her diaper rash). I had one of my sandwiches each time they ate at Flo's, so I can't comment on how well they handle allergies. I ate at Cocina Cucamunga twice and had excellent experiences. They had a chef come out. We discussed the allergens and she prepared a slightly modified meal for me. I felt so comfortable with the safety of the meal that the baby was allowed to have the rice and beans (beans are one of her favorite foods). I also ate at Tomorrowland Terrace (same procedure) and was comfortable enough to let the baby have a few French fries and a bit of my burger from there as well. Disneyland dining was fantastic.

We also ate offsite at Tony Roma's (had dinner with friends who didn't join us in the park). My experience there was less than stellar. They have a really nice allergen menu online. So, I had looked it over and knew there were a few things I could have before we went. When I asked the waitress for an allergen menu, she said there wasn't one, but gave me very vague guidelines instead (anything from the grill is fine (even though online it says they use butter on their steaks), and that the fryer was off limits because of the mozzarella sticks and cross contamination). So, I would up ordering a main dish I remembered was safe (BBQ chicken), rice (which I also remembered was safe) and the fresh vegetable of the day (broccoli, which the waitress said was safe, but when I checked online later, I found it may have contained dairy. I didn't let the baby eat it, and if it did contain butter, it was such a small amount that she didn't get it vicariously through me). Because of the waitress's flippant attitude, I was only comfortable sharing the chicken with the baby; I wasn't comfortable sharing the sides with her. She did fine with the chicken. I won't feel comfortable feeding her there when she is older. I don't think we will return.

Disneyland was great at handling allergies, even at a quick service place. I was very impressed.
Great to hear! Do burgers were egg and dairy free? That's great to hear!

Wow, that's like the same as me, but with shellfish. That's what my doctor said too. I often can't have fries because they are fried with fish or shrimp. I guess I'm probably healthier picking other options anyway! :) At home I'll go to Five Guys sometimes because there is no seafood there at all.
Do you eat BBQ sauce? Sometimes that has anchovies. I have been wondering if the BBQ place in DL was safe. I will probably try contacting special diets if I can't find out.
Interesting about BBQ sauce, I did not know that! I don't really eat it so I guess I dodged a bullet there. I do miss Caesar salads so much though, because of the anchovies. I also miss Chinese food. Almost all Chinese brown sauces have oyster sauce in them.

I have gained about 10 pounds since I developed my allergy. I ate a lot of fish before for my protein. Now I eat a lot more red meat. It can't be good for my heart, but at least I'm not covered in hives with my throat closing up!

Interesting about BBQ sauce, I did not know that! I don't really eat it so I guess I dodged a bullet there. I do miss Caesar salads so much though, because of the anchovies. I also miss Chinese food. Almost all Chinese brown sauces have oyster sauce in them.

I have gained about 10 pounds since I developed my allergy. I ate a lot of fish before for my protein. Now I eat a lot more red meat. It can't be good for my heart, but at least I'm not covered in hives with my throat closing up!
I so much miss going to Chinese restaurants! I make my own stir fry but that's it. I didn't eat fish all the time before, I mostly ate chicken and I still do. I was just starting to like mahi mahi though! I use ground turkey instead of ground beef. I also have a handful of nuts everyday. And I miss clam chowder (like in the bread bowl at Boudin's on the warf). I never got hives or swelling, just mouth tingle in about 30 seconds, then throat closing, and maybe some nausea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter