flying with medication that needs to be refrigerated

allicat

<font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=navy>
DD needs to take an antibiotic which needs to be refigerated. Its a small bottle-could I put it in a plastic bag with a small ice pack? We are flying Southwest-Im wondering if they will let me take it on.
Someone I spoke with said to ask the flight attendant to put it in their little fridge on the plane. Dont know if thats allowed. Anyone know?

You can bring prescription medicine and if necessary an ice pack to keep it cool. Medicines an certain other liquids are except from the ban on liquids. Be sure to bring it in the original prescription container with the script information on it matching a passenger. You do have to declare it when passing through the security area.

Here is the info from the TSA website to verify:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

TJ

I flew to MCO from STL back in January with insulin and a ice pack in a small cooler type container (actually it was a bottle bag from when my son was little). It was never checked through security...it never caused a problem.

When we were flying last year I purchase a frio pack from Amazon.com. I would recommend this product to anyone. I was able to keep my insulin cool all day in 90 degree weather. And no problem at all getting it through security.

I also use a Frio for my Dd's insulin. They are amazing! I dont have to worry about melting ise packs or anything. It kept her insulin cool in August last year all day.
Also, I had some problems with my ice pack at security. It had melted about half way and the woman was questioning alot over it. She eventually let us thru. Granted this was 2 days after the big liquid scare.
Regardless.. make sure you have scrip info and you will be fine .
Have a great trip!

We had to do same a couple of weeks ago with DS's antibiotics.

We just placed the med. bottle (w/ his name, etc. on it) in a ziploc bag in a small lunch-type cooler with another double bagged ziploc filled with ice.

We flew Southwest and just mentioned it during TSA stops, and all went fine.

-Mark

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter