Flying with an Epipen

CamColt

Has anyone flown with an Epipen since the new liquid rules? If so does that go in your 311 bag?

I've read the TSA site which states medications over the 3 oz need to be declared. I don't think the epipen is over 3 oz, but I cant find the info on it. :confused3

Don't put it in your quart bag. Declare it to the TSA agent. This isn't because of the liquid, but because there is a needle involved. :)

Is that something new too? I've always flown with it in the carry on bag and never had to do anything special with it.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohibited-and-permitted-items.pdf

It says here they are allowed through once they have been screened, so I don't know if that means just through the x-ray or if you have to declare it. Also it further says: Liquids, gels and/or aerosols medications should be
declared to a security officer at the checkpoint and be labeled so they are identifiable.

I guess you could put in your quart bag given that info. :confused3

I've never "declared" mine. It's always with me, and I've flown several times since the new rules. In fact usually I've had two, one in my handbag stuffed into my carry on, the other in my camera bag that's my "personal item." One "lives" in both places.

One piece of advice--have your pharmacist put the label on the Epi-pen tube itslef, not just the box it all comes in. That way you can cut down on the amount of space you need to carry it around.

Anne

Thats good advice, Anne. Thanks. Unfortunatley, I just got them refilled so the sticker is on the box. But I will know for next time now. I made sure to get them renewed as I couldnt find the other old boxes and I knew I would need the prescription attached. ;)

CamColt said:
Thats good advice, Anne. Thanks. Unfortunatley, I just got them refilled so the sticker is on the box. But I will know for next time now. I made sure to get them renewed as I couldnt find the other old boxes and I knew I would need the prescription attached. ;)

The pharmacists should be able to provide you with an extra sticker for the tube even after the fact. (mine did!)

I do'nt worry about the TSA looking for the prescription sticker, like I said, I've never declared them or handed them to them or put them in a special baggie, and they've either not noticed them on the x-ray :rolleyes: or didn't care. The reason I make sure the label is attached is that if I'm unconscious, an EMT can't administer them without verifying they are mine--prescribed by a doctor and checking the expiration date. All of that is on the pharmacy label.

Anne

I don't think I have my RX label, but I do have a note from the doctor stating that it should be kept with us. Do you think we will have a problem?

TammyC said:
I don't think I have my RX label, but I do have a note from the doctor stating that it should be kept with us. Do you think we will have a problem?

Like I said, I've flown three times (r/t) since this whole mess, and have yet to declare my pen, and they have yet to give a flying hoot. It should be a non-event. I wouldn't worry about it.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter